Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FIFA Rankings

FIFA Rankings

0 Not allowed!
    Just heard the commentator on the Poland Colombia match say Poland are ranked 8 on the FIFA table. I have just looked at the table and England are 12. Really?

I assume this a statistical assessment but does anyone know how it is determined? Presumably just on competive games but how is a South American side compared with a European side for instance?

• North Stand Chat

advertising

7 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by ringmerseagulltoo View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Just heard the commentator on the Poland Colombia match say Poland are ranked 8 on the FIFA table. I have just looked at the table and England are 12. Really?

I assume this a statistical assessment but does anyone know how it is determined? Presumably just on competive games but how is a South American side compared with a European side for instance?
      Basically, Poland and Switzerland have gamed their rankings by barely playing any friendlies.
      It's probably nice to be Olympic champion. Like winning Gent-Wevelgem or something.

0 Not allowed!
      There'll be some huge adjustments post WC.

No doubt Sweden are high after knocking out awful Dutch and Italian teams, but the 10 men of Germany pulled them apart.
      Harry Wilson's Tackle Harry Wilson's tackle's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by ringmerseagulltoo View Post

Welcome to International Football. What do you think of it so far?
      Last edited by Harry Wilson's tackle; 24-06-2018 at 21:12. Reason: a bit rude
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Q93v7hGZA

Premier League : Brighton, le club le plus cool d'Angleterre

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pantani View Post
      Basically, Poland and Switzerland have gamed their rankings by barely playing any friendlies.
      Poland and Switzerland have been very high for a good 4-8 years. Both seem to sail through qualifying regularly and as a result keep their FIFA rankings spot and earn an easier group the next time qualifying comes around... Although Switzerland are in the top 20 teams I reckon... Poland... Not anymore. Some of the teams below in bold will drop unless say Argentina produce a miracle. You get a lot more points for doing well in world cups hence why Argentina are still in top 5 having gotten to the final 4 years ago.

FIFA World Rankings
      Top 20 rankings as of 7 June 2018

Rank Change Team Points
      1 Steady Germany 1558
      2 Steady Brazil 1431
      3 Steady Belgium 1298
      4 Steady Portugal 1274
      5 Steady Argentina 1241
      6 Steady Switzerland 1199
      7 Steady France 1198
      8 Increase 2 Poland 1183
      9 Steady Chile 1135
      10 Decrease 2 Spain 1126
      11 Steady Peru 1125
      12 Steady Denmark 1051
      12 Increase 1 England 1051
      14 Increase 3 Uruguay 1018
      15 Steady Mexico 989
      16 Steady Colombia 986
      17 Increase 2 Netherlands 981
      18 Increase 3 Wales 953
      19 Increase 1 Italy 951
      20 Decrease 2 Croatia 945

*Change from 17 May 2018
      Complete rankings at FIFA.com
      Last edited by dig54; 24-06-2018 at 21:47.

0 Not allowed!
      Wales above Italy. Would have thought that would be near impossible 4 years ago.
      Barndoor Gatting, Barndoor Davies, Barndoor Holroyd, Barndoor Paynter. Who is next for this coveted title? Barnes is currently favourite to take the crown from Billy Paynter.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Djmiles View Post
      Wales above Italy. Would have thought that would be near impossible 4 years ago.
      You may as well have written that Gareth Bale has moved above Italy, and I am only half joking.

0 Not allowed!
      It's largely about how you approach International Friendlies. So many nations breeze through qualifying that there is not a lot to separate them, so it comes down to the Friendly games in between. While some nations play very few, others only play teams that they will beat, while England challenge themselves with friendlies against BIG name nations because we want to try and fill Wembley and pay for the thing.

Choice is, that England either thrash nations like Saudi Arabia or New Zealand in front of 3 men and a dog at Wembley, but get a really high FIFA ranking, or we say "s0d that" and play against Brazil, Argentina, Italy, France, Holland etc in front of big crowds, but don't get to win all of our Friendlies.

Maybe the happy medium would be the return of the Home Internationals, as our Friendly games each year. Full houses, and gubbins opposition who we thrash, thereby shooting up the rankings.
      "I looked straight across to Graham Turner and their whole bench was in tears."

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Weststander View Post
      There'll be some huge adjustments post WC.

No doubt Sweden are high after knocking out awful Dutch and Italian teams, but the 10 men of Germany pulled them apart.
      I think that's a little harsh on Sweden, who were excellent in that first half. Sure they faced a barrage in the second half but I've seen a lot worse than them. In fact, I reckon they'll beat Mexico and qualify - the gushing over Mexico has started to annoy me, so I really hope this happens.
      Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
      Calderon is the type of guy that if your daughter married, you would worry that she was not good enough for him.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gritt23 View Post
      It's largely about how you approach International Friendlies. So many nations breeze through qualifying that there is not a lot to separate them, so it comes down to the Friendly games in between. While some nations play very few, others only play teams that they will beat, while England challenge themselves with friendlies against BIG name nations because we want to try and fill Wembley and pay for the thing.

Choice is, that England either thrash nations like Saudi Arabia or New Zealand in front of 3 men and a dog at Wembley, but get a really high FIFA ranking, or we say "s0d that" and play against Brazil, Argentina, Italy, France, Holland etc in front of big crowds, but don't get to win all of our Friendlies.

Maybe the happy medium would be the return of the Home Internationals, as our Friendly games each year. Full houses, and gubbins opposition who we thrash, thereby shooting up the rankings.
      I would say our approach is better, playing against the big teams, better preparation. Poland smashing Luxembourg 4-0 has prepared them for nothing and they’ve been crap.