Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Keep winning or look for the easier knockout games?

What should England do on Thursday

• Win for the momentum

Votes: 141 77.0%
  • Lose for the greater good.

Votes: 42 23.0%

• Total voters

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
we shouldn't, we should just be trying to win the world cup.

I still don't think this is likely, we will have to meet one of the big teams sooner or later and will more than likely get found out. With this in mind, for me it is better to progress and improve though experience.

If we were to get through to the final by playing 'weaker teams' then to start with, we have a ****ing chance to win it! And if we don't, we'll be able to point out that we haven't really advanced, we simply played weaker teams.

This would be logical, but I don't think it will happen. I think we will get carried away with "we got to the final", "we got to the semis" etc. Then like i said we will end up back with having a false sense of our abilities.

We've played the big boys at big tournaments before, and that hasn't helped us

This is a new, young team at the beginning of a new cycle, a cycle that has some real potential coming through from the younger tournament wins. What they need is experience. I suppose that this experience would be better gained by playing more games against beatable opposition rather than getting knocked out in the second round.

It is genuinely exciting to be in this position. Either way it goes is good for us.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I just hope we avoid Colombia in the next round.

Would rather face Japan or Senegal but que sera sera.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1012230136274538497[/tweet]

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I just hope we avoid Colombia in the next round.

Would rather face Japan or Senegal but que sera sera.

This for me is the main thing. If it turns out finishing second avoids Colombia as well then I will agree that throwing the game is worthwhile, until that is the case momentum is more important. Colombia produced one of the top two or three performances of the tournament against Poland, and look organised and really dangerous going forward. It seems to me that people have forgotten they played 90 minutes with ten men against Japan and are acting like Japan=Senegal=Colombia when in fact it is clearly Japan<Senegal<Colombia.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I can see this descending into farce late on. 0-0 with 5 minutes to go and players on both sides desperately trying to get booked :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can see this descending into farce late on. 0-0 with 5 minutes to go and players on both sides desperately trying to get booked :lolol:

Fingers crossed, what a great game that would be.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Agreed, but we will still have to play one of the big teams eventually, we cannot hide forever if we want to win the damn thing.
It would be easier to win the cup by playing one or two big teams than playing three of them.

If you feel that we aren't good enough to take our place in top half of the draw then we aren't going to win it anyway, so we just as well get back on the plane now.
We could beat any one team on our day, just like Brighton managed to beat Arsenal and Utd, but the less top teams we have to beat, the better.

Tonight could turn out to rival the Denmark v France debacle of two days ago with no side wanting to win.
They didn't mind winning, but Denmark didn't want to lose, and France didn't want to tire out players or get bookings. Tonight could potentially be even worse, but I doubt it will.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Bet one of the reasons/thoughts for starting this thread was an 'do we try to avoid Germany' slant.........which kind of shows the folly of trying to manipulate things really. Just play to win and try to keep the momentum going. Simple.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I still don't think this is likely, we will have to meet one of the big teams sooner or later and will more than likely get found out. With this in mind, for me it is better to progress and improve though experience.
We have come up against the big teams in plenty of tournaments, and lost nearly all of them. All those big team games hasn't given us the experience to improve, so why should it this time? And if we get through thanks to playing some weaker teams, only to get knocked out as soon as we face a big team, I don't think we'll have a false sense of where we are. Better than the weaker teams, not as good as the bigger teams. If of course we lose our first group match, which is easily possible, then we know we're still really shit.

This would be logical, but I don't think it will happen. I think we will get carried away with "we got to the final", "we got to the semis" etc. Then like i said we will end up back with having a false sense of our abilities.
Getting to the final would be an achievement, and involve beating a big team. And we know that just losing early hasn't helped. Sure we know we're shit, but what good has that done?

This is a new, young team at the beginning of a new cycle, a cycle that has some real potential coming through from the younger tournament wins. What they need is experience. I suppose that this experience would be better gained by playing more games against beatable opposition rather than getting knocked out in the second round.
Agreed :thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
When Southgate made the point that we hadn't won a knockout match since 2006 I was initially surprised but he makes a very good point. There's really very little point plotting a path through three matches to get to the final when we've historically been incapable of winning one.
Southgate is in a very different position to us. For him to talk openly about the quarter-finals, when we haven't got there, would be stupid. Just like in the PL managers always try and stick to talking about their next game. He's going to be thinking about it privately though.

After today, ALL focus has to be on our opponents in the first knockout game. Is anyone here going to be that surprised if we lose it?

Go for the win and strike a psychological blow to the remaining teams in the tournament. Make them scared of us for a change.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We have come up against the big teams in plenty of tournaments, and lost nearly all of them. All those big team games hasn't given us the experience to improve, so why should it this time? And if we get through thanks to playing some weaker teams, only to get knocked out as soon as we face a big team, I don't think we'll have a false sense of where we are. Better than the weaker teams, not as good as the bigger teams. If of course we lose our first group match, which is easily possible, then we know we're still really shit.

Getting to the final would be an achievement, and involve beating a big team. And we know that just losing early hasn't helped. Sure we know we're shit, but what good has that done?

Agreed :thumbsup:

I've got to be honest, I would be happy with going out to a team bigger than Iceland as that would represent progress. My expectations were minimal going into this world cup and they are still about the same. I would like to see us continue playing with the freedom that we have shown so far, What happens other than that is a bonus as far as I am concerned.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
[tweet]1012230136274538497[/tweet]

This stuff gets on my tits. It's like we are not allowed to dream.

All I've heard on Irish radio prior to the world cup and since is how arrogant the English are. Do the Irish, welsh or Scots never think ahead of what might be in any sport? Is it not allowed to be discussed? No one is taking anything for granted or expecting to sail through but we should be able to talk about it without being branded arrogant.

I don't think there are many of us who expected great things from this world cup. To get out the group is great, there's a chance we could win the first knockout match, even better. Most would class getting to the quarter finals a successful tournament for us. Why not allow us to dream a little without branding us as arrogant all the time. Most other teams big themselves up all the time.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Call me mentally delusional if you like, but I genuinely believe if we finish second in the group tonight, we can reach the semi-final. We are then a one off game away from the World Cup Final.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Call me mentally delusional if you like, but I genuinely believe if we finish second in the group tonight, we can reach the semi-final. We are then a one off game away from the World Cup Final.

See, you are an example of why the English are hated. Enough of that optimism please.
COYBIG, They don't like it 'up em, eh [MENTION=24872]london[/MENTION]Irish?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking

I agree that it sounds fanciful to suggest that other teams may be scared of England. However, from 2002 onwards we have too often shown either fragility, timidity or both. As things stand, most major nations must consider England a soft touch when it comes to the knockout round. A victory over Belgium won't change that overnight but a good statement of intent won't hurt. Perhaps the likes of France, Spain, Brazil et al might just approach us with a little more caution.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I agree that it sounds fanciful to suggest that other teams may be scared of England. However, from 2002 onwards we have too often shown either fragility, timidity or both. As things stand, most major nations must consider England a soft touch when it comes to the knockout round. A victory over Belgium won't change that overnight but a good statement of intent won't hurt. Perhaps the likes of France, Spain, Brazil et al might just approach us with a little more caution.
You'd expect teams to respect anyone they face in the knockout stages, and they'll certainly know we're a capable side. Although we keep losing through the years, it's often through penalties after a close match. But I can't see them being scared of us for a while, and I can't see beating a make-shift Belgian side changing that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here