Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Keep winning or look for the easier knockout games?

What should England do on Thursday

• Win for the momentum

Votes: 141 77.0%
  • Lose for the greater good.

Votes: 42 23.0%

• Total voters

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Avoiding Colombia will be a wise decision on the evidence of tonight.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
After the experience of being pleased that we sorted an 'easier' draw against Iceland in Euro 2016, I would say keep on winning. However, a hard-fought draw against Belgium with us picking up a couple of bookings more, would maintain the momentum and still achieve the 'easier' route through.

By the time we kick off against Belgium, we will know who we play next in the event of a win or loss. Then we can decide whether to beat Belgium or not. It’s that simple.

What if they're trying to do the same thing? Both teams setting out to lose could make for an interesting spectavle.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Obviously keep winning. To prove your the best you need to beat the best.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
By the time we kick off against Belgium, we will know who we play next in the event of a win or loss. Then we can decide whether to beat Belgium or not. It’s that simple.

Exactly [emoji106]

Plus this is a wide open tournament. I’m not sure who I’d rather we play and, on current evidence, how we’ll do. Good performance & result today but you’re only ever as good as your last result.

We could get genuinely beaten by Belgium and still go on to do really well or storm the group and go out in the 2nd round. I’m just taking and enjoying it a game at a time.

Panama looked like the equivalent of Forest Green btw

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Colombia looked superb against Poland. I think they would beat England.

I don’t yet. We haven’t faced anyone decent yet but we look fairly decent. Colombia looked bang average in their first game. Though that was with Jose I playing :eek:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham

I think Belgium might have a say in who wins too. This assumption England will win if they chose to baffles me.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why though? Both are well off their form?
Brazil off form were held to a draw by Switzerland. They still didn't lose. I'd rather play Switzerland than Brazil. Form is temporary, class is permanent etc.

I don't need to check the odds, Germany and Brazil are expected to have more chance than the others we could face in the quarter final (if we get there).

seagulls99

Feb 10, 2012
Obviously keep winning. To prove your the best you need to beat the best.

Generally would agree. However, would you rather Japan/Colombia/Senegal then Mexico/Switzerland or Japan/Colombia/Senegal then Brazil/Germany? As the relevant fixtures are before our games, i’d opt for making some changes and taking the loss.

P.S Unless Belgium go into the game with a loss in mind for the greater good, their first team would wipe the floor from us!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Whats the sequence for qualification from the groups if equal on points. Is it

1. Goal Difference
2. Goals scored
3. Head to Head result
4. Disciplinary record

Or a different sequence ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills