Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "We're on our way" Song - who started it?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
England fans singing "We're on our way", the Paint Your Wagon song that was an abiding memory for me of the promotion season.

Which team first started using this one? I am assuming it wasn't the Albion.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Sheff Weds I think.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
England fans singing "We're on our way", the Paint Your Wagon song that was an abiding memory for me of the promotion season.

Which team first started using this one? I am assuming it wasn't the Albion.

FC Red Energygrad who play in the Austrian Bundasberg 2nd division, then copied by all euro wannabee ultras over here

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I heard it at a Mile Oak reserves match in 1978.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I was wondering that earlier. I know Massive did it the year before us but in the bit of TV football I watch, it seemed to be after we took it up that it went everywhere. Don't think any team adopted it quite like we did for a large part of the season. May have been sung regularly at grounds before but I hadn't heard it as loud until after us. But then as I say, I don't watch that much TV football.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
That Football songs program on DAVE about 3 weeks ago pretty much inferred that it was MCFC fans who first used 'No Limits' for the 'Yaya/Kolo' chant.

Of course we must've been singing an entirely different tune altogether for Kurt Nogan 25 years ago in 93/94 then...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Dukla Prague.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Impossible to say. Just like a number of current football songs are based on Beatles songs from fifty years ago. Wardy Wonderland anybody?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I believe it was Sunderland all the way back in 06/07, when they were promoted to the PL.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I was wondering that earlier. I know Massive did it the year before us but in the bit of TV football I watch, it seemed to be after we took it up that it went everywhere. Don't think any team adopted it quite like we did for a large part of the season. May have been sung regularly at grounds before but I hadn't heard it as loud until after us. But then as I say, I don't watch that much TV football.

I recall us (Sunderland) singing it about 15/20 years ago and still sing it now (more recently about going down) however I am not sure where it came from

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Romans I believe, on their way to conquer England, at the Wembley Colusseum circa 55 BC.

*cough* I think you'll find it was 250,000 years ago when these chaps evolved from homo erectus

onourway.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here