Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maguire v Dunk

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
IMO once dunk gets snapped up by a bigger club, he's going straight into the England team.

I believe he'll be a top player for England and possibly England's best defender.

He has a good chance to get capped possibly but this is poppy cock

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There are attributes to Maguire's play that Dunk doesn't have. Maguire is much more of a unit on the ball and tends to push forward confidently. However, Dunk is class on the ball even if he does go to sleep very occasionally. Two very different players, although both possess a classic centre-half never-say-die block-everything attitude.

Right now I'm happy enough with Maguire at the back for England but there's no doubt in my mind that Dunk will get there in the next year or two. I suspect Cahill will end up making way from the squad as he reaches an age where international football is beyond him, and Dunk will slot in. Commentators will then spend future England half time analysis' absolutely drooling over Dunk's distribution.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There are attributes to Maguire's play that Dunk doesn't have. Maguire is much more of a unit on the ball and tends to push forward confidently. However, Dunk is class on the ball even if he does go to sleep very occasionally. Two very different players, although both possess a classic centre-half never-say-die block-everything attitude.

Right now I'm happy enough with Maguire at the back for England but there's no doubt in my mind that Dunk will get there in the next year or two. I suspect Cahill will end up making way from the squad as he reaches an age where international football is beyond him, and Dunk will slot in. Commentators will then spend future England half time analysis' absolutely drooling over Dunk's distribution.

IMO Dunk and Maguire are both good with ball and passing.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
not at all. Just because I disagree with your claim he will be the best English defender.

He's 27 this year. He's already behind those younger than him .

He's quality but your claim is silly

Dunk's 26 years old. That's still young in terms of defenders.

You think he's "very very good" so how is my claim Dunk could be England's best centre-back silly? Are you implying that England's centre-backs are out of this world? Now that would be silly.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I've just seen him get a few reds and own goals in the past for Brighton. Which isn't that big a deal in itself because he clearly makes up for it.

I just think on the biggest stage he could of make a big mistake under all that pressure.

I was hoping he'd get a call up though

His only straight red was at Palace in 2012 and he has had three second yellows the last being in February 2017. Last season he got just 7 yellows in arguably the second biggest stage to representing your country. Doesn't that show me maybe maturing well. How many own goals were mistakes? I'm not saying he should be in Russia but I don't thinking your argument is fair.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
His only straight red was at Palace in 2012 and he has had three second yellows the last being in February 2017. Last season he got just 7 yellows in arguably the second biggest stage to representing your country. Doesn't that show me maybe maturing well. How many own goals were mistakes? I'm not saying he should be in Russia but I don't thinking your argument is fair.

Last season, one of the TV PL experts mentioned Dunk's OG's and said it's simply due to his great ability with recovery blocks. 99 times out of 100 they come off, 1% of the time they lead to OG's. But he's saving far more goals than that.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Dunk's 26 years old. That's still young in terms of defenders.

You think he's "very very good" so how is my claim Dunk could be England's best centre-back silly? Are you implying that England's centre-backs are out of this world? Now that would be silly.

He is behind several at the moment.

They are younger so will probably improve the same if not more.

Can't see him getting much of a look in for England if I'm honest.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
He is behind several at the moment.

They are younger so will probably improve the same if not more.

Can't see him getting much of a look in for England if I'm honest.

Phil Jones, Cahill, Dier, Maguire and Stones are Englands centre-backs.

Do you believe they're all better than Dunk?

Would you like to make a bet that Dunk doesn't get a cap in the next 4 years?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

You could add Tarkowski (?) and Burnley fans would probably say Mee is better, though Jones and Cahill probably will drop out in next couple of years .

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

last nights CB were

Stones , Maguire and Walker

So last nights are all a lot better yes

Your missing the point mate, I think he may get capped , I'm 50/50 on that but it would be a silly bet. I just don't think he will be the best player like you claim.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
last nights CB were

Stones , Maguire and Walker

So last nights are all a lot better yes

Your missing the point mate, I think he may get capped , I'm 50/50 on that but it would be a silly bet. I just don't think he will be the best player like you claim.

I said he COULD be Englands best centre-back.

Why do think Garth Crooks has included Dunk in the Prem best 11 for last season? Dunk was the only one Crooks selected who wasn't playing for a top 4 club.

Obviously Crooks is an absolute fruit cake, but to be fair, he must know his football considering his profession. Jenas is also a keen admirer of Dunk too. He's many a times mentioned Dunk for England. I'm not the only one who rates Dunk highly.

England haven't kept a clean sheet in this world cup. Considering we've only played Tunisia, Panama, Belgiums 2nd string team and Colombia, I think you're over-rating Englands back line performances so far. We should both wait till they play a truly world class side before we decide how good/poor they really are.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
As I said earlier in the thread, top class centre backs in this day and age contribute with goals. If anyone thinks Dunky would have scored that chance they are living in cloud cuckoo land, Maguire is clearly a notch above Dunk, I think most even with blue and white tinted specs would concede that.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As I said earlier in the thread, top class centre backs in this day and age contribute with goals. If anyone thinks Dunky would have scored that chance they are living in cloud cuckoo land, Maguire is clearly a notch above Dunk, I think most even with blue and white tinted specs would concede that.

Stating the obvious,

Maguire's a better CB than Cahill, Dunk, Tarkowski, Walker, Mawson, Jones, etc.

On my part not said in hindsight, I rated and complimented Maguire all of last season.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Leicester fans must be a tad nervous that their player is having such a great tournament to date...cant see him being their much longer

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Stating the obvious,

Maguire's a better CB than Cahill, Dunk, Tarkowski, Walker, Mawson, Jones, etc.

On my part not said in hindsight, I rated and complimented Maguire all of last season.

You'd think it would be stating the obvious, but the OP and several others don't agree...

Snowflake

Jan 11, 2018
Dunk is great and not far behind Mcguire. Butt have to say McGuire’s been great and so much of a man mountain presence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here