Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maguire v Dunk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Cahill is great goal scoring defender, who keeps winning silverware. Great form in the second half of the season for England and Chelsea.

Stones is great on the ball at the highest level and scored a vital brace today.

I think Dunk is competing with the likes of Tarkowski. Being biased like everyone else here, I prefer Dunk.

True, but Cahill struggled defensively last season and Stones at times, reminds me of Bambi, and is very error strewn.

I would have expected Dunk to have scored with a free header and two yard tap in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 18477

Maguire is decent.

Behind him there is;

Joe Gomez
James Tarkowski
Alfie Mawson
Jamaal Lascelles

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I am quite surprised anyone would confidently say Dunk is better than Maguire but then some on here were saying that our best midfielder, Lingard, wasn’t a very good player after the Tunisia game so maybe I shouldn’t be so surprised.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
True, but Cahill struggled defensively last season and Stones at times, reminds me of Bambi, and is very error strewn.

I would have expected Dunk to have scored with a free header and two yard tap in.

Well Dunk doesn't tuck away PL goals for us, so why would he do it at international level?

Duffy and Dunk had chances last season, but didn't put them away.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well Dunk doesn't tuck away PL goals for us, so why would he do it at international level?

I genuinely don't understand some on here's fascination with rating players on how they play other positions.

It makes no sense.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Did against Arsenal, can’t remember many other free headers...... can you? [emoji2]

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yep THE same Leicester that looked certain for relegation the season before, and decent outside bets for relegation ever since.

In what way have Leicester looked "decent outside bets for relegation"? They didn't come close to relegation trouble last season, they still have a squad full of international players (including 2 with England) and a winger being courted by Real Madrid. There is more chance of them finishing in the top 6 than the bottom 3 next season IMO (although I don't think either will happen).

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Couple of things, on this point, Maguire definitely. Dunk was excellent for us last season and the only time he looked a bit lost was the horrendous Chelsea match when we play the 3 at the back system employed by England. Maguire has slotted into the England team pretty seamlessly and is excelling in this tournament.

Second point, anyone suggesting Stephens over Henderson needs their head tested. Henderson has been superb so far (in particular when the going got tough against Tunisia)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I’d have liked to see Dunk given the opportunity, but Maguire has done an admirable job so absolutely no complaints from me.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If Southgate persists with three centre backs then because of injuries / players being rested it is simply a matter of time before Dunk gets the call-up.

We have a friendly with Switzerland on 11th September and there would be little point playing the likes of Stones and Maguire after they've had little rest after a WC campaign followed immediately followed by pre-season.

If Dunk gets overlooked for that match and the USA friendly in November then he might start thinking of a move in the January window. Hopefully, he'll start the season well and Southgate will do the right thing. The situation might also be made easier if Gary Cahill were to announce his international retirement after the WC.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Couple of things, on this point, Maguire definitely. Dunk was excellent for us last season and the only time he looked a bit lost was the horrendous Chelsea match when we play the 3 at the back system employed by England. Maguire has slotted into the England team pretty seamlessly and is excelling in this tournament.

Second point, anyone suggesting Stephens over Henderson needs their head tested. Henderson has been superb so far (in particular when the going got tough against Tunisia)

Good post on all points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here