Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maguire v Dunk

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Still not the time, still not the place.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Dunk will be in the England team. It's just a matter of time. How many times did the defence sloppily give the ball away tonight? Dunk would've been the defender turning defence into attack for us. Maguire can carry the ball well but once it comes to making the pass, it's usually a short ball or an up and under. When Dunk carries the ball, he then looks for a much more effective pass. I'm actually starting to think Dunk's the best passer of the ball of any English centre-back. The timing and weight of Dunks driven passes out to the flanks is something you'd applaud a quality midfielder for. His creativity and rock solid defending is a must for the England team.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Dunk will be in the England team. It's just a matter of time. How many times did the defence sloppily give the ball away tonight? Dunk would've been the defender turning defence into attack for us. Maguire can carry the ball well but once it comes to making the pass, it's usually a short ball or an up and under. When Dunk carries the ball, he then looks for a much more effective pass. I'm actually starting to think Dunk's the best passer of the ball of any English centre-back. The timing and weight of Dunks driven passes out to the flanks is something you'd applaud a quality midfielder for. His creativity and rock solid defending is a must for the England team.

Once? We defended excellently tonight and restricted them to one set piece chance in 120 mins. Sorry we won :thumbsup:

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Once? We defended excellently tonight and restricted them to one set piece chance in 120 mins. Sorry we won :thumbsup:

We defended very well tonight when we weren't in possession. but there was some very sloppy possession play. Once Colombia had equalised, we struggled to pass the ball out of our own half. The Columbian forwards were getting very close to an interception. We really struggled to give ourselves time on the ball once it was 1-1. I remember Stones playing a simple ball out to the left flank and it went straight out of play, no where near the intended target. There was also the one Maguire played played to Trippier, it must've been at least 15ft above Trippier's head once it crossed the line for a throw. It was starting to become one bad pass after another. We were holding on once Colombia equalised. It was a case of our defenders passing it to each other and then surrendering the ball once it was played forward. If you don't think Dunk's good enough to be a starter for England, that's fine. But I disagree.

Sorry you don't rate Dunk :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We defended very well tonight when we weren't in possession. but there was some very sloppy possession play. Once Colombia had equalised, we struggled to pass the ball out of our own half. The Columbian forwards were getting very close to an interception. We really struggled to give ourselves time on the ball once it was 1-1. I remember Stones playing a simple ball out to the left flank and it went straight out of play, no where near the intended target. There was also the one Maguire played played to Trippier, it must've been at least 15ft above Trippier's head once it crossed the line for a throw. It was starting to become one bad pass after another. We were holding on once Colombia equalised. It was a case of our defenders passing it to each other and then surrendering the ball once it was played forward. If you don't think Dunk's good enough to be a starter for England, that's fine. But I disagree.

Sorry you don't rate Dunk :thumbsup:
Sorry.. After your posts the other night wanting England to lose, I stopped reading at ‘we’...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You do love a good word twist don't you.

You should ask The Sun for a job. Just make sure you get past the 1st word of your application form.

Didn't see your original post, can you self quote it please - just for balance.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Does the OP feel a bit silly about this thread yet?

He was magnificent tonight.

Nope I'm still not seeing it.

His primary job seems to be pointing.
Followed by short passes to Stones or Pickford.
A good 95% of his forward passes resulted in the Colombia regaining possession, as the England player was instantly swamped.
He had 2 runs beyond the halfway line which he appeared to freeze 40 yards out.

Now much of that could be down to how Southgate wants him to play.
Obviously as said before I also have to own up to rosy specs.

If anyone in the defense last night was 'magnificent' it was Trippier followed by Stones, again.
To me Maguire is the big lad who currently has the shirt and isn't doing anything to lose it, well done to him.
I'm not slating him, and never have done because he has been plenty good enough, I'm just not seeing the wow.

I'll be watching closely again v Sweden and I will be the happiest :bounce:er around if I can be 'embarrassed' by this thread.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Nope I'm still not seeing it.

His primary job seems to be pointing.
Followed by short passes to Stones or Pickford.
A good 95% of his forward passes resulted in the Colombia regaining possession, as the England player was instantly swamped.
He had 2 runs beyond the halfway line which he appeared to freeze 40 yards out.

Now much of that could be down to how Southgate wants him to play.
Obviously as said before I also have to own up to rosy specs.

If anyone in the defense last night was 'magnificent' it was Trippier followed by Stones, again.
To me Maguire is the big lad who currently has the shirt and isn't doing anything to lose it, well done to him.
I'm not slating him, and never have done because he has been plenty good enough, I'm just not seeing the wow.

I'll be watching closely again v Sweden and I will be the happiest :bounce:er around if I can be 'embarrassed' by this thread.

You've said it yourself though, he's the man with the shirt, he doesn't have to wow just has to be solid. Fine player though he is, I'm sure Dunk's lack of top flight experience went against him. Not that Maguire has loads but he has more than Dunk.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Both players better than any defenders you’ve got sunshine!

BTW - I’ve been very impressed by RL-C this World Cup. I can see why he was your second best player last season and why he won’t be returning to you this coming season!

[emoji39]

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I thought Maguire had a pretty good game so it would be difficult for Dunk to take that shirt from him.

This creates a problem for Leicester as quite a few clubs will have seen him as well and will be thinking he will be worth a punt, agent will get involved see his £5m fee and will work on a transfer.

For me Dunk playing well for the Albion is all I need because he is the key to our PL survival. Yes he has a profile outside Brighton but not as high as Maguire's....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You've said it yourself though, he's the man with the shirt, he doesn't have to wow just has to be solid. Fine player though he is, I'm sure Dunk's lack of top flight experience went against him. Not that Maguire has loads but he has more than Dunk.
Oh yeah as I have repeatedly said, I'm not sticking the boot into Maguire.
It might just be the difference in playing 2 v 3 centre backs, that I'm not picking up on.
To me it just looks like any number of centre backs could have played in Maguire's place, and naturally I'm biased towards LD.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Aspinall said he scouted Maguire for us for a couple of years but in the end decided he was too slow and took too long to turn so he told Barber not to sign him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here