Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Dunk has never been good enough for England, end of thread...……………………...:moo:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Post #122 you touched on "defensive shortcomings".

Apologies if you said that with irony.

That's hardly criticism certainly not by NSC standards!!
Esp considering his defensive shortcomings in today's game.

As I have always been at great pains to to say, I certainly am not sticking the boot in, going on some mad 'get rid' too short/tall rampage.

But I also am not seeing the 'immense, magnificent, MotM and tournament' performances either.
Certainly not from a player in the same side as Trippier.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's hardly criticism certainly not by NSC standards!!
Esp considering his defensive shortcomings in today's game.

As I have always been at great pains to to say, I certainly am not sticking the boot in, going on some mad 'get rid' too short/tall rampage.

But I also am not seeing the 'immense, magnificent, MotM and tournament' performances either.
Certainly not from a player in the same side as Trippier.

I see a bloody good international defender, who can also play.

On Dunk, I'd prefer to see him in the squad over error-prone Phil Jones, but once Dunk was overlooked for the friendlies his fate was sealed.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Maguire is just a fat Lewis Dunk.

Seriously, I don't think there is much apart from an extra season in the Prem and a few England caps between them, Maguire has that extra experience.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Maguire is a tad a bit slow for my liking. Walker (mistake-prone) and Stones make up for his tortoise-like speed. Dunk is no speed merchant and I reckon Cahill is quicker.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Maguire was given a chance, and he has seized it with both hands. The place in the team is now his to lose. Would Dunk have been able to raise his game in the same way? Guess we'll never know, but the way things have turned out, even with blue-and-whitest of blue and white specs on you can't say Southgate got it wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here