Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maguire v Dunk

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Of course I'm biased but nevertheless LD (and probably a couple of others) must be so surprised to have been overlooked in favour of Maguire.

Got to wonder what else he has to do to get a look in.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Of course I'm biased but nevertheless LD (and probably a couple of others) must be so surprised to have been overlooked in favour of Maguire.

Leave the quaint provincial club for a perceived big club?

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I don't think Southgate came to any of our matches in the final few games of last season. Either way, it's good that Dunk will hopefully be injury-free for August, and there's less risk of him being poached by an interested club.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Neither the time, nor the place.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and if any of you don't put a couple of quid on Maguire FGS v Belgium then you need your head read.

Don't be so precious [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION], I'm hardly sticking the boot into Harry.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Strange timing. Maguire has been excellent in the 2 games so far, he’s a quality player.

Hopefully Dunk will break in to the squad next year at the expense of a Jones but it certainly wont’t be for Maguire.

Just don’t see it. England were great but it was Panama. The defence will not be good enough against the better teams and McGuire gives the ball away too much and was at fault for the Panama goal. Dunk far better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Very marginal. Very similar players. Maguire probably edged it on Premier League experience earlier than Dunk and he also got an under 21 game back in 2012 which Southgate tends to view positivity.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I quite like Maguire, he's been excellent at Leicester. I think he's a combination of Duffy and Dunk, more Duffy than Dunk but enough Dunk to be seen as a ball playing centre half. He has looked nervy at times in possession though and has an alarming lack of pace(which is reason enough itself to give Danny Rose a go at left wing back).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Go back to being a teenager and work his way through the England youth team ranks?

tbf, I rate Maguire pretty highly - he stood out for Leicester against us, I thought (though I'd never really noticed him in his Hull days).

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Go back to being a teenager and work his way through the England youth team ranks?

tbf, I rate Maguire pretty highly - he stood out for Leicester against us, I thought (though I'd never really noticed him in his Hull days).

My only memory of him in that game was 'blimey that fella is a big lad'.
I thought he was very much their Shane Duffy and haven't really seen any finesse from him so far, this W/C.

Again I freely admit to watching his performances through tainted specs, but even with that view I'm certainly not boooo-ing, get rid or not good enoughing him, I'm just not seeing what makes him so much the better player even against these lesser teams.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
My only memory of him in that game was 'blimey that fella is a big lad'.
I thought he was very much their Shane Duffy and haven't really seen any finesse from him so far, this W/C.

Again I freely admit to watching his performances through tainted specs, but even with that view I'm certainly not boooo-ing, get rid or not good enoughing him, I'm just not seeing what makes him so much the better player even against these lesser teams.
He doesn't have to be 'so much' better - just being a little bit better (in Southgate's opinion) is all he needs to be to get the nod over Dunk.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here