Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maguire v Dunk

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
not much in it imho....but i think maguire edges it for his presence, his threat from attacking set pieces and the fact he's a northerner .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Yeah it's comments like that, 'magnificent' & man of the match that I'm just not seeing.
Although having an opinion that differs from Hoddle and others doesn't exactly keep me awake at nights.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Who did Mina beat in the air for their goal? Your MOM?

the colombians beat maguire and stones on numerous occasions at both ends but more at their defensive end where maguire was pick pocketed twice by having the ball nicked of his head by a smaller , seemingly more athletic player...Barrios...?? not sure but him and stones were robbed at their end on a few occasions.

jameswestport

Sep 7, 2011
So, within the space of a few weeks of World cup football, Dunk has become an average defender?

We're discussing who's better out of Dunk and Maguire. You're making it sound like Dunk is crap. Did you watch Dunk last season?

Dunk is class I just think he'd bottle it at the WC

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I have been impressed with Maguire, hopefully Dunk can push on and grab himself a spot for the euros.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Yeah it's comments like that, 'magnificent' & man of the match that I'm just not seeing.
Although having an opinion that differs from Hoddle and others doesn't exactly keep me awake at nights.

I get the impression the narrow win on Penalties has over-shadowed the average performance from Maguire against a very average team. I think people are going slightly over the top because we turned around a penalty shootout which never happens for us. Had we lost the pens, the views would've been totally different of our players overall performance. I doubt anyone would've said Maguire was brilliant. I'm reading stuff like 'the greatest performance in ages'!? 'he was magnificent' when the reality is, if we defend like we did once it was 1-1, we're not going to win the world cup. We hardly created anything and Kane looked very isolated. Colombia looked much more composed on the ball, we just had the strength and depth to beat them (just).
I work with a lot of foreigners. They all thought it was a very boring 90mins.

jameswestport

Sep 7, 2011
Why would he bottle it?

Do you not rate his mental attributes?

I've just seen him get a few reds and own goals in the past for Brighton. Which isn't that big a deal in itself because he clearly makes up for it.

I just think on the biggest stage he could of make a big mistake under all that pressure.

I was hoping he'd get a call up though

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
IMHO Maguire had an excellent game and was unfortunate to be beat for that one crucial header but would hate to compare that to the number of times that our CB have been beaten in similar situations. That is all part of the game.

jameswestport

Sep 7, 2011
Dunk made more blocks than any defender in the Prem last season. Therefore he's probably going to concede more own goals than your average defender.

How many times did Dunk get sent off in the Prem?

Fair enough Dunk is miles ahead of Maguire

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So, within the space of a few weeks of World cup football, Dunk has become an average defender?

We're discussing who's better out of Dunk and Maguire. You're making it sound like Dunk is crap. Did you watch Dunk last season?

Couldn't it just be that:

1. Dunk is proving himself to be an outstanding PL CB and footballer, with more to come.

2. Maguire is proving to be a bloody good international CB.

Their careers are mutually exclusive. Over sensitivity about Dunk is silly. We all know the bloke is quality and he may yet have England call ups.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Couldn't it just be that:

1. Dunk is proving himself to be an outstanding PL CB and footballer, with more to come.

2. Maguire is proving to be a bloody good international CB.

Their careers are mutually exclusive. Over sensitivity about Dunk is silly. We all know the bloke is quality and he may yet have England call ups.

IMO once dunk gets snapped up by a bigger club, he's going straight into the England team.

I believe he'll be a top player for Englan and possibly England's best defender.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
IMO once dunk gets snapped up by a bigger club, he's going straight into the England team.

I believe he'll be a top player for Englan and possibly England's best defender.

He's younger than Cahill, Mee and Walker, which should allow for others to get their chance over time.

Dunk obviously works tirelessly on his entire game and fitness, we can all see the strides he's made over recent years in all aspects of his game.

Balogun looked quality to me at this WC. I'd be interested in seeing a Balogun & Dunk partnership at some stage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here