Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Bitterne,Southampton. In the land of wrong stripes and boo-boys!

Flying The Flag Yet?

0 Not allowed!
    So we are about to enjoy/endure the second instalment of Englandís World Cup journey. Is it me or does there seem to be a general lack of enthusiasm in our green and pleasant land for our footballing boys? I watched our first match against Tunisia and my reactions went from pleasant surprise to frustration to relief at the accomplishment of three points gained. At the end of it there was a half-hearted Chris Hughton-esque fist pump from me and that was it.

Unlike previous World Cups and Euros my Cross of St.George flag (sans stupid product logos and other embellishments) remains stored away, but ready and available for proud displaying when the time comes. But, for me, the time is still not right. Too many false dawns and abject performances in recent years have prompted that. Iím just waiting for that spark to ignite my dormant passion that England may, at last, produce that wonderful togetherness of 1990 and the Euros of 1996. Then, of course, they had two great songs as accompaniment - World in Motion and Three Lions. I wonder if, to quote the World Cup song of 1970 ďThis time, more than any other time, this time . . .Ē will ring true for 2018? - I hope so.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

2 Not allowed!
      Prob less flags but no shortage of passion in the pubs and fan parks. It went mental where I was when Kane scored and I hear other places near me were the same. I feel like everyone is talking about this World Cup actually and the feeling of England playing with a young team with little expectations is great - I’ll always believe
      Seeing kids in the school or in the parks with Albion shirts instead of the big clubs and easy ones, thatís it. We have done it.

Inigo Calderon
      May 2016

1 Not allowed!
      I have some bunting that’s going up later this morning. Does that count?
      "Unemployments rising in the Chigley end of town.
      And it's spreading like pneumonia.
      Doesn't look like going down"
      Harry Wilson's Tackle Harry Wilson's tackle's Avatar

4 Not allowed!
      I'm absolutely loving the WC and have been in a state of nervous excitement about today for several days. Unfortunately I'm living in a rented house for 2 months while I have building done so my England flag and its usual home are inaccessible. Otherwise it would be displayed in the same window I put it up in for Englnd football, since 96.

Gosh, Trevor Brooking (on R5) is a ****ing boring old ****.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Q93v7hGZA

Premier League : Brighton, le club le plus cool d'Angleterre

0 Not allowed!
      Nope. We have ethnic neighbours and don’t want to cause offence although quite enjoying seeing a couple of S.American countries flags down the road from us to brighten the place up.
      "Never miss a good chance to shut up"

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by el punal View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      So we are about to enjoy/endure the second instalment of England’s World Cup journey. Is it me or does there seem to be a general lack of enthusiasm in our green and pleasant land for our footballing boys? I watched our first match against Tunisia and my reactions went from pleasant surprise to frustration to relief at the accomplishment of three points gained. At the end of it there was a half-hearted Chris Hughton-esque fist pump from me and that was it.

Unlike previous World Cups and Euros my Cross of St.George flag (sans stupid product logos and other embellishments) remains stored away, but ready and available for proud displaying when the time comes. But, for me, the time is still not right. Too many false dawns and abject performances in recent years have prompted that. I’m just waiting for that spark to ignite my dormant passion that England may, at last, produce that wonderful togetherness of 1990 and the Euros of 1996. Then, of course, they had two great songs as accompaniment - World in Motion and Three Lions. I wonder if, to quote the World Cup song of 1970 “This time, more than any other time, this time . . .” will ring true for 2018? - I hope so.
      1970?!! Try 1982...
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by portlock seagull View Post
      Nope. We have ethnic neighbours and donít want to cause offence although quite enjoying seeing a couple of S.American countries flags down the road from us to brighten the place up.

:
      Are you on a wind-up?
      Bitterne,Southampton. In the land of wrong stripes and boo-boys!

0 Not allowed!
      1970?!! Try 1982...
      Quite right! ‘Back Home’ was the 1970 effort. Still, apart from the 1990 and 1996 tunes all have been pretty forgettable.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BLOCK F View Post

:
      Are you on a wind-up?
      Did you not read that recent report, get with modern life: 60% of under 25s are embarrassed to be English! Plus St George isn’t really our flag. And it’s used by Neo Nazis. Would you fly a Swastika from your window? Nope, fine if you live in deepest Lincs but in the multi ethnic South East you run a real risk of upsetting immigrants and making them feel uneasy or unwelcome. I don’t wish to do that so best leave the far right jingoistic nationalism to others. Besides, as Emily Thornbury said, it’s very chav and working class ‘Brexity’ to display a St George’s and whonin their right mind wants to identify with that.

3 Not allowed!
      Nope. We have ethnic neighbours and don’t want to cause offence although quite enjoying seeing a couple of S.American countries flags down the road from us to brighten the place up.
      Wtf