Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] CO2 shortage

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Not all Draught beer some real ale depending on the dispense system don’t

From what I remember working in a real ale pub in Leicester the real ale lines don't feed gas directly into the cask as they do with keg beer but I believe the lines are primed with CO2 help draecthe beer up to the hand pull (am happy to be corrected however as it was over 10 years ago and I have sunk many a pint since!)

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Fill a petrol can with water, add a squeeze of lemon. Attach hosepipe to V8 exhaust system and insert hose into petrol can. Run engine for 20 minutes.
Hey presto! Cloudy lemonade.

🐕

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Perhaps a solution would be to get CO2 from the Remainers on the Brexit thread, if it's a by-product of producing fertiliser.They produce a load of s*** all year round.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
From what I remember working in a real ale pub in Leicester the real ale lines don't feed gas directly into the cask as they do with keg beer but I believe the lines are primed with CO2 help draecthe beer up to the hand pull (am happy to be corrected however as it was over 10 years ago and I have sunk many a pint since!)
No gas pumps pump the beer using mainly beer gas either a mixture of nitrogen and carbon dioxide or 100% co2, or compressed air via a compressor. The gas/air never comes in contact with the beer.

Indeed keg beer/cider can have compressed air connected via the coupler. The reason for the need of gas pressure known as top keg pressure is to keep the co2 in solution (beer/lager/cider). By a continuous pressure on top of the keg does push the beer to the bar though gas pumps are also used depending on circumstances.

All kegged products come precharged with co2 hence the crisis is stopping the brewing not just the pubs from serving

Using air and not co2/mixed gas will limit the life of the beer in the keg to 24hrs before it goes off

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

And as per usual they talk shite. Very rarely do any of these men with beards actually work in the brewing industry and anyone who has ever been to one of their events will tell the way they run their beer tents is not good.

Best listen to an expert, not landlords as they are normally set in their ways, and also normally wrong, but a brewery expert.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
And as per usual they talk shite. Very rarely do any of these men with beards actually work in the brewing industry and anyone who has ever been to one of their events will tell the way they run their beer tents is not good.

Best listen to an expert, not landlords as they are normally set in their ways, and also normally wrong, but a brewery expert.

Well said, you being a robber turned policeman, but what I dont understand is why they cannot just make more Co2 as all the companies that supply it in cannisters for pubs, hospitals etc must manufacture their own so why not just up the production.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Well said, you being a robber turned policeman, but what I dont understand is why they cannot just make more Co2 as all the companies that supply it in cannisters for pubs, hospitals etc must manufacture their own so why not just up the production.

The issue is co2 is produced as a byproduct of the ammonia production used as fertilizer. There's a slower requirement by farmers at present so many plants have shut down for maintenance all over Europe. This has led to the shortage Europe wide.

The brewers are protecting their co2 supplies but some are struggling. Molson Coors are ok at the moment but just think of the knock on affect. Marmite and Bovril are produced in Burton off the back of the breweries, getting their yeast as a byproduct. No brewing no Marmite!

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
The issue is co2 is produced as a byproduct of the ammonia production used as fertilizer. There's a slower requirement by farmers at present so many plants have shut down for maintenance all over Europe. This has led to the shortage Europe wide.

The brewers are protecting their co2 supplies but some are struggling. Molson Coors are ok at the moment but just think of the knock on affect. Marmite and Bovril are produced in Burton off the back of the breweries, getting their yeast as a byproduct. No brewing no Marmite!

WTF? No Marmite! Now I'm concerned!!!

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute
The supreme irony, and one the wikipedia-ist journo's haven't figured it out/bothered to...

...is that the amount of CO2 produced around the winemaking latitudes as a result of alcoholic fermentation is absolutely vast! Albeit not food grade but that's a minor point.

It is vented off into the atmosphere as it's so dangerous in a confined space.

Maybe every winery of size should be compelled to make beer/coca-cola/fizzy water on site...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No problem for me, sat on a hoard of Belgians with Brooksteed's 4-5 kegs half a mile away.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Things have taken a turn for the worse. Warburtons have suspended baking of crumpets due to lack of CO2.

Get in touch with Tim Martin of 'Spoons, he always produces plenty of waste gasses.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here