Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] CO2 shortage

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
So apparently there is a national shortage of CO2 for fizzy drinks.

How the hell does this work?!

Should we breathing out more?!

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
So apparently there is a national shortage of CO2 for fizzy drinks.

How the hell does this work?!

Should we breathing out more?!

Britain’s carbon dioxide shortage has been caused by an unusually high number of closures of the factories which produce
the gas as a by-product of the fertiliser industry.
The process of manufacturing ammonia releases vast amounts of CO2, which is captured and sold commercially and on which
the food and drinks industry depends.
But because farmers need little fertiliser over the summer, ammonia plants often close down for essential maintenance,
and the current crisis has been caused by too many plants shutting at the same time across Europe.
At least five producers in northern Europe are reportedly in closed due to a combination of technical failures and planned repairs.
The UK is the worst hit country - only one of its plants is currently operational. The gas is difficult and expensive to import,
meaning food and drink producers tend to depend on local suppliers.
The high price of natural gas, which is a key raw material in ammonia production, has also had a knock-on effect in limiting
production in Europe.
At the same time, a fall in global ammonia prices means the British fertiliser industry has increasingly found it cheaper to source
ammonia from abroad than to produce it in the UK.
A spokesman for the British Beer and Pubs Association said the shortage is worse than in previous years because it affects
mainland Europe in addition to the UK.
The spokesman said: “Supply issues here in the UK are being further complicated by a combination of planned plant shutdowns and unexpected equipment failure, in particular in connection with one of the two major national producers of bulk CO2.”
At the same time, the demand for soft drinks and alcohol has increased with the hot weather.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Britain’s carbon dioxide shortage has been caused by an unusually high number of closures of the factories which produce
the gas as a by-product of the fertiliser industry.
The process of manufacturing ammonia releases vast amounts of CO2, which is captured and sold commercially and on which
the food and drinks industry depends.
But because farmers need little fertiliser over the summer, ammonia plants often close down for essential maintenance,
and the current crisis has been caused by too many plants shutting at the same time across Europe.
At least five producers in northern Europe are reportedly in closed due to a combination of technical failures and planned repairs.
The UK is the worst hit country - only one of its plants is currently operational. The gas is difficult and expensive to import,
meaning food and drink producers tend to depend on local suppliers.
The high price of natural gas, which is a key raw material in ammonia production, has also had a knock-on effect in limiting
production in Europe.
At the same time, a fall in global ammonia prices means the British fertiliser industry has increasingly found it cheaper to source
ammonia from abroad than to produce it in the UK.
A spokesman for the British Beer and Pubs Association said the shortage is worse than in previous years because it affects
mainland Europe in addition to the UK.
The spokesman said: “Supply issues here in the UK are being further complicated by a combination of planned plant shutdowns and unexpected equipment failure, in particular in connection with one of the two major national producers of bulk CO2.”
At the same time, the demand for soft drinks and alcohol has increased with the hot weather.

Sounds like nonsense to me. More to this than meets the eye.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sounds like nonsense to me. More to this than meets the eye.

I blame cyclists.
Not only are all those lycra-clad MAMiL's clogging up the roads, jumping red lights and riding on the pavement they're all doing that with a couple of CO2 canisters in their back pocket.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I blame cyclists.
Not only are all those lycra-clad MAMiL's clogging up the roads, jumping red lights and riding on the pavement they're all doing that with a couple of CO2 canisters in their back pocket.

Nope; it’s my fault. I’ve recently bought a SodaStream and have two spare canisters in the pantry. Sorry.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I find it interesting and slightly ironic that humanity is having such issues overcoming CO2 pollution, yet at the same time we are currently enduring a CO2 shortage.

If only some clever person could find a way to harness CO2 pollution from energy & industry and recycle it.

Plant shit loads of trees and stop cutting down the ones that already exist. Job done.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Just carry solpadine with you and drop one of those bad boys in your flat beer.

Also pre treats your hangover.
Actually, don't do this as it will really **** up your liver.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
SodaStream! Good god, are they still around? I thought they went out of fashion/existence c.1979 along with Watney’s Red Barrel, Tuppaware, Party 7 and Babycham. :mad:

Yeah; me too! My partner drinks fizzy water like it’s going out of fashion though - payback in about a month, I reckon.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Can't remember the last time I had a 'fizzy' drink.
Except Beer.

So, I am not responsible.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Shows how many fizzy alcoholic drinks are artificially fizzed rather than relying on natural fizz from the fermentation process.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Just carry solpadine with you and drop one of those bad boys in your flat beer.

Also pre treats your hangover.
Actually, don't do this as it will really **** up your liver.

Just wrap a 5 p piece in a rizla skin and watch the head reappear.

Edit you have to drop it into your pint first !

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
In pubs all draught beer/lager/cider requires CO2 to get the liquid from the keg to your glass.
Not all Draught beer some real ale depending on the dispense system don’t

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Regenerative Carbon Bed technology can be used to extract CO2 from the atmosphere and then release it in a controlled manner for compression and storage.

But my personal favourite solution would be to gather all the 'Greens' together and burn them, generating huge volumes of CO2 and ridding us of a veritable annoyance.

Job done

TNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here