Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Gigs that you had tickets for and missed...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We had tickets to see Ornette Coleman at either the Barbican or RFH. We left at our usual time in the afternoon and had a terrible journey but not one where we thought we should give up. Let’s keep going we thought, we might catch the second set. So despite the hold ups we battled on into the city. Anyway, to cut a long story we parked up, ran to the venue and up the stairs to hear riotous cheers and thunderous applause. The venue steward let us in only to see Ornette and his band leave the stage having finished their encore.
/QUOTE]
I was lucky enough to see Ornette at the Dome in the early 1960's. On another occasion John Coltrane played there. During the 60s the Dome was well served by Jazz and Rock/Pop artists and bands.

Coltrane played Brighton? I never knew that

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
2007 Genesis in Linz, Austria.
Still upset about this as they moved it by 24 hours and didn't tell me.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Nirvana, 1991. They were the opening act at a festival in Belgium (the only festival they ever played in continental Europe) and we had never heard of them and couldn't be arsed to rush out of bed (this was a few months before Smells Like Teen Spirit).
Arcade Fire - couldn't arsed to drive one hour on a school night.
Maybeshewill - couldn't be arsed to deal with a bus replacement service on the railways on a Sunday night in winter.
Stiff Little Fingers 1979 - driving down from Tonbridge to Brighton for the gig, my friend at the wheel took a corner too fast and rolled the car somewhere around Uckfield... That was as far as we got.
Jonsi - I broke my arm.
Underworld - ditto.
Kurt Vonnegut - not so much a gig as a talk and book signing, but he was ill and cancelled - probably the one I'm most gutted not to have seen. Even if I did get a free copy of Galapagos out of it.
Plenty of others because they cancelled on me.
Around 150 acts at a festival in 2011 because a freak storm blew the entire festival away midway through the first day, killing 5 people and rendering the festival site unusable... More specifcally, Miles Kane who was about to come on when the storm hit. His gig consisted of him walking on stage, pointing at his crackling waterlogged amps and shrugging.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
My current cystic fibrosis exacerbation once again has claimed a couple of gigs. The treatment is going well and with a following wind I should be discharged at least he said me of the week and in the interim the world cup is a most splendid distraction. Anyway, off the top of my head, over the last 20 odd years I have missed the following gigs which I have had tickets for due to being in hospital/ too ****ed up to get out of bed:

Lush, Stone Roses (Spike island), The Sundays, Mazzy Star, Julee Cruise, Nick Cave, Super Furry Animals (twice), The Pogues, My Bloody Valentine, Julia Holter (twice), British Sea Power, Steve Mason, Kate Bush, Grandaddy and this time Belly and Kristen Hersh.

Damn my shit genes

I've forgotten l loads more, but that's a decent festival line up (if you get rid of The Stone Roses)

If you're well enough, did you know Kristin Hersh is in Brighton this Saturday? (or is this the one you can't go to?)

Last edited:

Lush

Mods' Pet
Kind of connected but a friend got stuck in snow on the way to the 02 to see the Pet Shop Boys, so I ended up seeing them on my own. Have to say it's very freeing being able to dance like a lunatic because there's no-one you know standing next to you.

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
The Jam's final gig at Brighton, I was in the Navy and at sea...was and still gutted to have missed it. I'm from Woking so they were always our local band....

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I would have been happy to add The Kooks, who last Friday night who were supporting The Stones. The long queues due to security checks, I thought my luck was in. Sadly, I still had to endure them for 40 minutes....

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
it's very freeing being able to dance like a lunatic because there's no-one you know standing next to you.

"Left to my own devices, I probably would..."

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Roy Harper at the Corn Exchange a few years back.

Bought the ticket months in advance pinned it the the kitchen notice board and then promptly forgot about it..... doh!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes and Eric Dolphy was part of the band!

Lucky sod. That must have been 1960/61 - I was still in my pram then!

I wouldn't have thought that Coltrane would have been a big enough name to fill out the Dome back then: we were still in the midst of the trad craze.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I wouldn't have thought that Coltrane would have been a big enough name to fill out the Dome back then: we were still in the midst of the trad craze.

He did the first set but the probable draw was the Dizzy Gillespie Quintet which played the second half. I was happy with both.

Date was late 61 or early 62 judging by the recordings made by both groups in Europe.

Last edited:

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
He did the first set but the probable draw was the Dizzy Gillespie Quintet which played the second half. I was happy with both.

Date was late 61 or early 62 judging by the recordings made by both groups in Europe.

A few years before I was even a twinkle in my parents’ eyes. That was a Norman Granz Jazz at Philharmonic tour in November ‘61. Google lists it at the Dome on 16 November. No recordings of the Uk tour unfortunately. I concur with Gwylam - you lucky sod! :bowdown:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A few years before I was even a twinkle in my parents’ eyes. That was a Norman Granz Jazz at Philharmonic tour in November ‘61. Google lists it at the Dome on 16 November. No recordings of the Uk tour unfortunately. I concur with Gwylam - you lucky sod! :bowdown:

Well, I was 4 but I was probably still getting to terms with The Wheels on the Bus back then. What a gig to have seen - Coltrane, Dolphy and Gillespie!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here