Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Serbia v Switzerland (BBC)

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
The two main reasons I remember people being against VAR before it arrived were:
1) It will slow the game down, with stopping and starting.
2) It will remove the debating decisions in the pub.

Well 1 hasn't happened, and it looks like there's still plenty to debate, as some decisions are marginal. I love it.

Slightly different to that I think - they shouldn't immediately raise their flag unless sure, but if a goal is then scored, they can then raise their flag even if not sure - so yes, it will get checked by VAR, but what they've avoided is incorrectly raising their flag and stopping play before the ball crosses the line. The perfect option IMO.
I definitely get your point with the offside calls.

But as for VAR, for now it is a no from me. Bringing in a system that still makes this many errors seems crazy to me.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But as for VAR, for now it is a no from me.
Fair enough.
Bringing in a system that still makes this many errors seems crazy to me.
But it's not the system that makes the errors, it's the people. And honestly, what errors have been made so far? What incorrect decisions have been made because of VAR, that wouldn't have been made without it? There was the France vs Australia one, but I think that was a debatable decision, not a howler. And that's about it isn't it?

Whereas it's resulted in several clearly correct decisions that wouldn't have been made without it.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
Fair enough.
But it's not the system that makes the errors, it's the people. And honestly, what errors have been made so far? What incorrect decisions have been made because of VAR, that wouldn't have been made without it? There was the France vs Australia one, but I think that was a debatable decision, not a howler. And that's about it isn't it?

Whereas it's resulted in several clearly correct decisions that wouldn't have been made without it.
Australia Vs Denmark penalty comes to mind

That's 100% of Australian games where VAR has made a mistake. Huge when there are only 3 group games to advance on the world stage.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Fair enough.

Im a big fan of VAR, and understand the reluctance to award retrospective penalties for the Mitrovic and Kane type of holding fouls. In my opinion, If they started to use it during the World Cup for those fouls we will see 3 or 4 penalties a game, making it a farce.

What will happen in the future is domestic leagues will begin to use VAR and then those type of fouls will start to be pulled up, players will learn not to grapple and the issue will be eradicated over time.

For now the system, although not perfect, is still doing a decent job.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Im a big fan of VAR, and understand the reluctance to award retrospective penalties for the Mitrovic and Kane type of holding fouls. In my opinion, If they started to use it during the World Cup for those fouls we will see 3 or 4 penalties a game, making it a farce.

What will happen in the future is domestic leagues will begin to use VAR and then those type of fouls will start to be pulled up, players will learn not to grapple and the issue will be eradicated over time.

For now the system, although not perfect, is still doing a decent job.

They were blatant fouls. Cheating.

If officials started awarded pens for those, that type of foul would rapidly decline.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
They were blatant fouls. Cheating.

If officials started awarded pens for those, that type of foul would rapidly decline.

I agree, but can also see why FIFA are reluctant to implement such strict use at a World Cup. In time, once the officials are more comfortable with the system and players realise that they can no longer get away with the dark arts, things will improve. If there were no VAR, we would be moaning about far more errors. For now, it's a step in the right direction.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I agree, but can also see why FIFA are reluctant to implement such strict use at a World Cup. In time, once the officials are more comfortable with the system and players realise that they can no longer get away with the dark arts, things will improve. If there were no VAR, we would be moaning about far more errors. For now, it's a step in the right direction.

I understand where you're coming from.

If there has been a behind the scenes decision to ignore all rugby assaults in the box, I hope they're consistent with that to the end of the WC. Should Russia or another FIFA favourite win VAR penalties for exactly later on, that would be telling about FIFA post-Blatter.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
I understand where you're coming from.

If there has been a behind the scenes decision to ignore all rugby assaults in the box, I hope they're consistent with that to the end of the WC. Should Russia or another FIFA favourite win VAR penalties for exactly later on, that would be telling about FIFA post-Blatter.

Indeed. What would be interesting would be a fly on the wall, behind the scenes look at what goes on in the VAR room during a match.

Los Che

Sep 4, 2011
Well, now everything is clear why there wasn't a penalty

35922547_1628439693945104_6616966627856482304_n.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not given (correctly) then awarded.
Oh. Was it clear cut, and everyone agrees it shouldn't be a penalty. Except for the VAR people and the ref?

EDIT - ok, I've looked it up, and now I remember watching it at the time, and I can see why I've forgotten it. It's debatable. You can argue it should or shouldn't be a penalty. He raises his arms to jump, but at the top of his jump, shouldn't his arms go lower, as he pushes his head higher? You can argue his hand shouldn't still be up there when the ball hits it.

Denmark can argue they've been unlucky, but it's not the worst decision in my opinion.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Certainly wasn't clear and obvious to be overturned.
Yeah maybe that's a fair way of putting it, but it's still not a terrible decision.

Reading about it online it seems Denmark's coach thinks the penalty was the correct decision.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Three Swiss players have been fined over their sign celebrations. Granit Xhaka, Xherdan Shaqiri and Stephan Lichtsteiner were fined by Fifa for their 'double-headed eagle gesture' celebrations in the win over Serbia.

Xhaka and Shaqiri were fined 10,000 Swiss francs (£7,632) and Lichtsteiner was fined SFr5,000 (£3,816)

The gesture made by the players symbolises the Albanian flag, which carries the image of a double-headed eagle.

Xhaka and Shaqiri are ethnic Albanians from Kosovo, where a Serbian crackdown on the Albanian population ended with Nato military intervention in 1999

Swiss fans are crowd funding to pay the fines for them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44615958

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here