Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in london View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Started, but a bit long for me.

One genuine question though - why does it take so long to learn a new route? What do you actually have to learn?
    Everything, from length of platforms, speed limits, where signals are to stations and junctions

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Simster View Post
      I can't say I had noticed, but thinking about it, a) it couldn't have gone any worse and b) @Ernest makes a good point above.
      Ask yourself why in 1988 under BR that the original Thameslink came in with all drivers fully trained and guards as they were needed then as well as all the drivers knowing the new trains needed for it. There were no delays or excuses needed as there were proper railwaymen who needed what was required to get the new timetable up and running on time

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
      But an integrated railway might have done so better rather than too many vested interests
      I agree that probably now a single entity running the whole thing would be best.

But I remember in the 70's and 80's the chaos of British Rail. Not just the well known excuses about leaves or snow. The endless strikes, plus a hatred from commuters toward staff. People who commuted from Kent and Sussex then have told me they could have lynched militant railway workers. Words and more were exchanged.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Weststander View Post
      I agree that probably now a single entity running the whole thing would be best.

But I remember in the 70's and 80's the chaos of British Rail. Not just the well known excuses about leaves or snow. The endless strikes, plus a hatred from commuters toward staff. People who commuted from Kent and Sussex then have told me they could have lynched militant railway workers. Words and more were exchanged.
      I know I was there

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by lost in london View Post
      Started, but a bit long for me.

One genuine question though - why does it take so long to learn a new route? What do you actually have to learn?
      One thing that grates me when people talk about trains, is that people think it’s simply pressing a button. To stop a train going at 90mph you have to make the calculations maybe 2-3 miles beforehand, you have to learn a route to gauge stopping distances, hazards, lights and sequences, junctions, as well as making sure everything is being safely operated. It’s a lot more complicated than most people think.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by deletebeepbeepbeep View Post
      The issues have been know by anoyone who works in the industry for months the only one caught unaware is that useless **** Chris Grayling.
      Correct. Someone I know who works on railway timetables (not these) told me months ago that they didn't have the drivers to make it work.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Not Andy Naylor View Post
      Correct. Someone I know who works on railway timetables (not these) told me months ago that they didn't have the drivers to make it work.
      Someone who works on timetables would have known at least a year ago as they work 2 years or more in advance so the manpower issues would have been known then. It's not like it was a surprise to them, of course once you sack all the experienced timetablers and planners and put kids in there as they're cheaper that is what happens

0 Not allowed!
      Chris Grayling surely must fall on his sword given the micro management from his department
      Joint winner NSC Predictor League 2017/18
      A. Virgo, Football Genius

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by jackalbion View Post
      One thing that grates me when people talk about trains, is that people think it’s simply pressing a button. To stop a train going at 90mph you have to make the calculations maybe 2-3 miles beforehand, you have to learn a route to gauge stopping distances, hazards, lights and sequences, junctions, as well as making sure everything is being safely operated. It’s a lot more complicated than most people think.
      sounds ideal for automation.
      Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.

0 Not allowed!
      Not quite in the same league but tells it’s own story: painting a double yellow line in certain places on our road to create passing spaces congested by commuter parking is now coming up for its second consultation anniversary with no end in sight. We’re talking 30-40m of yellow paint. (Btw, residents unanimous in support because everyone got off road parking anyway)

council has somehow managed to extend this ‘complex’ job into 3 years of (no better word) ‘fannying’ about. I could literally do the job myself, tonight, and be back for the 10 o’clock news. People in the local council ought to hang heads in shame and their mind numbing inability to get stuff done. No wonder they’re openly mocked, it’s right they’re ridiculed. So when it comes to bigger transport issues like operating our railways, is it any wonder the system is shambles? We love to point out problems in this country but no one can ever seem to make a decision let alone fix em. Why? It’s called Government...and we’re shit at it!
      "Never miss a good chance to shut up"