Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] How Thameslink's Timetable Failed - long but good

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Had the railways not been privatised you would still be travelling in 50 year old rolling stock as there was no appetite by UK Government to invest.

Many years ago I submitted an investment paper when BR for Quickfare machines, those old orange ones. They were being purchased on a 15 year lease, when the proposal came back 25 yellow vans had been added, who buys a van over a 15 year lease ?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I agree that probably now a single entity running the whole thing would be best.

But I remember in the 70's and 80's the chaos of British Rail. Not just the well known excuses about leaves or snow. The endless strikes, plus a hatred from commuters toward staff. People who commuted from Kent and Sussex then have told me they could have lynched militant railway workers. Words and more were exchanged.

Yes yes yes, but those steam clouded platforms that at first hide Nanny from sight as one arrived home for the hols, old Benson coughing with the consumption but still, just, able to lift my heavy trunk onto the magnificently reigned carriage, a more splendid site in that moment ‘twas unimaginable, before returning to our ancestoral estate along hedged lanes bursting with summer fruits ripe and plentiful ....those, those were halcyon days were they not?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Had the railways not been privatised you would still be travelling in 50 year old rolling stock as there was no appetite by UK Government to invest.

Many years ago I submitted an investment paper when BR for Quickfare machines, those old orange ones. They were being purchased on a 15 year lease, when the proposal came back 25 yellow vans had been added, who buys a van over a 15 year lease ?

Trotters Independent Traders?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here