Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are we watching a parallel universe World Cup?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The lowest ranked team in the tournament have qualified out of their group after 2 matches, scoring 8 goals

Germany lost to Mexico

England won their first match

Argentina drew with Iceland

Argentina got stuffed 3-0 by Croatia

Brazil only drew with Switzerland

Japan beat Columbia

Senegal beat Poland

I am loving this World Cup so far.

Last edited:

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
It really is a coupon buster of a world cup so far.

I expect things to level out come the knockout stages

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Argentina were shit coming into this World Cup, so that one wasn't much of a shock. Also Russia being suspiciously good could've been predicted...

Been a great fun WC so far though, otherwise agreed on all. Loving it.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
That’ll be difficult if half the favourites don’t get through.....

Bar one or two "Surprise teams," I think we can expect 6 of the "Big nations" to be in the quarter finals

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Russia being the lowest ranked team is surely a quirk of the FIFA ranking system because they've not played competitive games for two years.

Germany and Brazil are overrated because their Germany and Brazil!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hard to see how Russia could be considered to be worse than Panama

The tournament average for distances run each match is 105km. Russia covered 118km in the opening game with Saudi Arabia and 115km against Egypt. After the second match, three Russian forwards and midfielders - Aleksandr Golovin, Alexander Samedov and Yury Gazinsky - were 1st to 3rd in a list of players' average distances.

Funny that...

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Russia being the lowest ranked team is surely a quirk of the FIFA ranking system because they've not played competitive games for two years.

That means if England were to host a World Cup in the future, we'd end up starting the tournament ranked lower than Belgium...oh.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Argentina were shit coming into this World Cup, so that one wasn't much of a shock. Also Russia being suspiciously good could've been predicted...

Been a great fun WC so far though, otherwise agreed on all. Loving it.

I think that is the issue not many people actually knew how bad Argentina really have been recently, a TV station in Argentina had a minutes silence after the game :ohmy:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The tournament average for distances run each match is 105km. Russia covered 118km in the opening game with Saudi Arabia and 115km against Egypt. After the second match, three Russian forwards and midfielders - Aleksandr Golovin, Alexander Samedov and Yury Gazinsky - were 1st to 3rd in a list of players' average distances.

Funny that...

And FIFA refusing to answer questions on drug tests.
Who would have thought

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Funny that...

Daily Mail reader alert !!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I have seen many of the games and whilst enjoying th games such as Argentina and Croatia, good quality has imo been hard to spot. I think the general entertainment value has been poor, whereas in Brazil it was great.

Last edited:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I have seen many of the games and whilst enjoying th games such as Argentina and Croatia, good quality has imo been hard to spot. I think the general entertainment value has been poor, whereas in Brazil it was great.

I think in Brazil everyone was inspired by the fact they were playing a World Cup in the greatest football nation on the planet, many raised their games and performance levels.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

You seem to have confused quality with entertainment value. A Benitez/Mourinho borefest is much higher in quality than a League Two play off semi with end to end drama. I think the games have been very entertaining.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here