Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] East Sussex - Where is nice to live?

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
The A27 as others have said is awful in rush hour and blocked one way or the other almost weekly with accident !!!

Is there any way either you get job in Brighton or Wife gets job in Eastbourne !!

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Although l profess to know very little about the eastern half of our county, one place l do really like is Seaford, a quiet town, few nice old pubs, country walks all around, property still relatively inexpensive by Sussex standards.

A town though and not a village, and have no idea what schools are like. There are a few Seaford residents amongst the NSC ranks, who I'm sure are all agog to tell you more than l am able to.

I would agree with that. I was in Seaford recently for a day trip and it's one place I would really like to live if moving back to East Sussex.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Why give the poor bloke an horrendous commuting day, when he can choose anywhere to live?

You can live a mile outside Brighton and it take an hour to get in and parked due to the anti car council.

However he asked for a nice place to live in East Sussex. Being Brighton is located on a westerly spike of East Sussex he was always going to be very limited where he can live if he has time limits on travel.

A far as”horrendous “ travel times I would suggest the average travel to work would be in the region of one hour. After all we aren’t northerners who have always expected their job t’be at end o road.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You can live a mile outside Brighton and it take an hour to get in and parked due to the anti car council.

However he asked for a nice place to live in East Sussex. Being Brighton is located on a westerly spike of East Sussex he was always going to be very limited where he can live if he has time limits on travel.

A far as”horrendous “ travel times I would suggest the average travel to work would be in the region of one hour. After all we aren’t northerners who have always expected their job t’be at end o road.

But great suggestions by loads of posters in this thread about locating by the excellent rail links heading into Brighton, with other knowledgeable posts to avoid westbound car travel on the A27.

Having a blank canvas to choose from, with no family links to particular towns, gives the OP good options.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Tbh it’s about equating needs with budget. When we moved in to the area it was Seaford v Bexhill. The latter won, just seemed to get a bit more house for your money. I liked Seaford but wife’s first impressions of it being ‘day centreish’ stuck. If we were to move again, l’d revisit Seaford, look at villages inland or,more than likely, look out of the area. Variety spice of life and all that

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patreon
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Having lived inSeaford now for 20 years it is quite a nice place, The main shopping and surrounding streets have a village feel. We still have a butcher, Baker, greengrocer and fishmonger, plus a Morrison’s. The pubs are not bad plus Indian, Chinese, fish and chips. The schools all get good ratings.
As for transport I have given up driving into Brighton. Takes too long and parking costs are horrific. Either I use the train which is a half hourly service and gets you there in 30 minutes or the excellent 12x service which thanks to bus lanes gets you to old Steine in 50 minutes.

Driving into Eastbourne is usually fine.25 minutes at the most. Coming back there is the queue at the cuckmere bridge in rush hour.

The excellent 12x service takes around 30minutes into the Arndale Centre which is now being upgraded to include cinema and more eateries.

Finally I have found people in Seaford very friendly and we have the beautiful cuckmere valley, Seaford head and the sea. It is not perfect but ticks a lot of boxes.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
You can live a mile outside Brighton and it take an hour to get in and parked due to the anti car council

Exactly, so for quality of life its not a viable commute to live more than an hour away from Brighton and then on top of that have to brave the delights of Falmer Hill, Lewes Road or London Road during rush hour.

I am speaking from experience here, I do the journey between Polegate and Brighton every single day, sometimes via Ringmer and sometimes via Lewes, I am 9 times out of 10 going in the best direction and at the best times to avoid the worst of the traffic however the commute for me is on the edge of what I can tolerate.

For the OP or his wife a daily commute from Robertsbridge to Brighton which is 15 miles further than mine would be a nightmare for them.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Just over the boarder Burwash :blush: is a beautiful village and they have a good seagulls supporters club and in November Tony Bloom is visiting.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Ok 60 mins in rush hour.

No chance, I live near Polegate and would love an average commute each way to Brighton of less than an hour. I need my car for work and unless you travel in to Brighton outside of about 6:30 and 8:45 an hour is a good journey. On a weekly basis there is an accident at least one of the ways which can easily add 30-60 mins to that hour commute!

Personally I would go somewhere near Polegate - quick train to Brighton and if on the correct side of the A22/A27 'junction area' a relatively easy drive to Eastbourne

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
No chance, I live near Polegate and would love an average commute each way to Brighton of less than an hour. I need my car for work and unless you travel in to Brighton outside of about 6:30 and 8:45 an hour is a good journey. On a weekly basis there is an accident at least one of the ways which can easily add 30-60 mins to that hour commute!

Personally I would go somewhere near Polegate - quick train to Brighton and if on the correct side of the A22/A27 'junction area' a relatively easy drive to Eastbourne

The OP does state train to Brighton

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Only been to Firle once, in not the happiest of circumstances, but immediately struck me as being the most wonderful place in which to live and love.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
image.jpg
Good deal and with sea view

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Cooksbridge?

Village, nice walking up to and around Barcombe Mills etc, has a railway station for connections to Lewes and Brighton; and not too bad a drive to Eastbourne (you could always go the back way via Barcombe and Laughton then down the A22 to get to Eastbourne rather than the official Lewes/ A27 route). Similarly South Chailey, though you'd have to drive six or seven minutes to Cooksbridge for trains.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
i think of the A259 in 4 mile chunks talking about Brighton to eastbourne. Some pedant will prove me wrong but I think Brighton to saltdean 4 miles. Saltdean to newhaven 4 miles. newhaven to seaford 4 miles. seaford to east dean 4 miles. east dean to eastbourne 4 miles.

Thats interesting isnt it.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
i think of the A259 in 4 mile chunks talking about Brighton to eastbourne. Some pedant will prove me wrong but I think Brighton to saltdean 4 miles. Saltdean to newhaven 4 miles. newhaven to seaford 4 miles. seaford to east dean 4 miles. east dean to eastbourne 4 miles.

Thats interesting isnt it.

Not particularly. Average time to travel by car in either direction at 08.30 and 17.30 would be more interesting ... over to you :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here