Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] East Sussex - Where is nice to live?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Glynde,, Firle, Ripe, Berwick, Alfriston,
If you use train to and from eastbourne and brighton then Glynde and Berwick are easy access to train station makes them advantageous.
Pubs - Firle has 1 quite nice little pricy
Alfriston has them by the plenty.
Berwick has the Berwick pub. Not been for a while so couldn’t really comment.
Ripe has a couple of really nice pubs.
All have good access to countryside as well as the main roads.
Suppose all depends what is most important things for you as well such as schools ect

B52

Jan 23, 2013
Super Seaford From the South
Although l profess to know very little about the eastern half of our county, one place l do really like is Seaford, a quiet town, few nice old pubs, country walks all around, property still relatively inexpensive by Sussex standards.

A town though and not a village, and have no idea what schools are like. There are a few Seaford residents amongst the NSC ranks, who I'm sure are all agog to tell you more than l am able to.

Another vote for Seaford, has a village feel to it,railway station in the centre, easy drive to Eastbourne, great surrounding countryside and by the sea, whats not to like.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Are there any decent pubs in Seaford? The few times i've been there the pubs look pretty awful, but i din't know the town very well.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Depending on house budget, the Meads area of Eastbourne is nice and has a villagey feel. Nice pubs, schools locally are good, nice place to bring up kids, close to town centre, and walks along the seaside and up to Beachy Head. Good train service (Southern Fail, of course) 45 mins Brighton, 90 mins to London and of course easy to get the Amex.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Willingdon. 10 mins to Eastbourne. Close to Polegate Station with direct line to Brighton. (Free travel from Polegate to home games).
Good schools close by and local shops. Next to the Downs so easy access for dog walks and two great pubs in Willingdon Village

If the OP wants to live in Eastbourne then this is a great option, my Mum and Dad live in Willingdon village and it has a lovely feel to the place, right next to the south downs and close to Polegate for a train in to Brighton. As you say nice pubs as well.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
What's Eastbourne like these days? I've heard it's better now than it used to be, What the bad areas? Is Shinewater still dodgy?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I've lived in Eastbourne the last ten years and love it. All the amenities a large town offers and still feels small and local. I lived in Seaford whilst growing up for 23 years and miss it a lot. Eastbourne is cheaper. I would avoid Shinewater, although it depends what you're used to and can afford. I lived in far scarier places in Liverpool and although Eastbourne has its problems, they are tame in comparison. The older part of town is generally good as is Roselands where i live, the parts near the hospital are great and also the marina. Obviously this is generalising. I have two cousins who live in the better parts of Langney in very comfortable large houses in decent areas. Avoid some parts of town, Langney and Hampden Park although as i said, some areas of those places are very good.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills