Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Smashed back windscreen

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
Hi

Looking for some advice, my back windscreen was smashed on my car - a company cutting the grass has accepted responsibility (orally and in writing) and said that they would pay for it to be replaced, just to get a quote and not involve insurance. What do you think I should do? I want to get some extra money out of them as I have been inconvenienced - what's the best way to go about this? I'm not saying I want to fleece them but I should be entitled so something surely, where there is a blame and all that?
Cheers

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a shame you hadn't just moved to America, you'd be quids (dollars) in.

Just get the window fixed, bill them, and accept the fact that sometimes shite happens.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Seems like it’s an accident. Grass cutters have been honest and decent and owned up and given you written evidence. Play your part and accept their offer to pay for the windscreen, and just the windscreen, and leave it at that.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Don't insurance company's cover replacement windscreens free of charge
( perhaps a small excess )? It was an accident and the company has held its hands up. Seems a bit strong to want cash in as well.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
An east sussex county council fleet van took my wing mirror off in Lewes couple of weeks ago, owned up and accepted liability through insurance, haven't got around to getting it done yet mind!
I thought about doing it myself and sending them a bill but couldn't be arsed as the driver was a decent bloke...
Every cloud..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Look at it this way, if you accidentally smashed the back window of a car and agreed to replace it would you want to be charged more than it cost to replace. Just accept they will pay for it and be grateful they DID accept responsibility and didn't just drive off saying "sorry gov, it wasn't us"

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Look at it this way, if you accidentally smashed the back window of a car and agreed to replace it would you want to be charged more than it cost to replace. Just accept they will pay for it and be grateful they DID accept responsibility and didn't just drive off saying "sorry gov, it wasn't us"

It would seem the OP would much rather screw the company making sure next time they just drive off saying "sorry gov, it wasn't us".

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Hi

Looking for some advice, my back windscreen was smashed on my car - a company cutting the grass has accepted responsibility (orally and in writing) and said that they would pay for it to be replaced, just to get a quote and not involve insurance. What do you think I should do? I want to get some extra money out of them as I have been inconvenienced - what's the best way to go about this? I'm not saying I want to fleece them but I should be entitled so something surely, where there is a blame and all that?
Cheers

Wow! as others have said.... you have got lucky. Get the window fixed, receive recompense, move on.
Why should you get anything extra? Why should they have to pay any more?

If you were injured at the time and as a result, forcing you off work, then I might agree, you coud claim loss of earnings etc.

But it is a shame, this blame and claim culture.
People are greedy, me, me, me - want, want, want.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Don't insurance company's cover replacement windscreens free of charge
( perhaps a small excess )? It was an accident and the company has held its hands up. Seems a bit strong to want cash in as well.

Normally £75 to £100 for glass replacement however please be aware that some insurance companies will freeze your no claims for a year so it's worth getting them to pay the cash price.

Autoglass will be the most expensive but as an ex employee of theirs they do the job properly. Customer service is crap though!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Hi

Cheers

Why do you think people moan about insurance being so high....

Still no idea.....

Have you got a mirror.....

Some poor sod doing his job, a stone gets caught in the mower and wham you want some extra money....

I would like to see how you get on when driving down the road and a stone flies up and does the windscreen from a lorry, good luck trying to get money from that.

Some people don't know how lucky they are, they offered to pay and admitted responsibility, is that not being honest which is all we can ask for from society, and you want to "get some extra"

I don't understand some people.

Last edited:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Hi

Cheers

No one is injured, nobody is trying to be underhand well apart from you, acting in good faith should be returned not punished.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
giphy.gif

Methinks the OP will come back to this thread and be like...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here