Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 47
  1. #31
    Members Stat Brother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    West west west Sussex
    Posts
    45,219


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinness Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As usual this is an over simplification written in a style that makes it impossible to tell what you really mean.

    The whole point of Lancing is that we’ll eventually produce players who can play for and against “those” clubs. It’s not an overnight process though.

    It’s hard to discern real quality at such young ages, due to physical development, so there’s an inevitable gamble going on. Some players, like it or not, will be brought in to the U23s to make the U23s competitive. We’ll have no intention of playing them in the first team but they’ll be there so that our real development targets don’t leave due to bad results.

    If you get it right - and Southampton for one have proven you can - it can make a huge difference. But by definition it doesn’t happen overnight.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Judging by the comments that follow these threads around, I genuinely don't believe I've made it simple enough.

    There seems to be a feeling of:-

    under 23 = 1st team in waiting.

    I can only assume that goes back to 'the good old days', when most of us would turn up with our boots just in case.

    As you say this all takes time, the fact that none of the youngsters have been loaned to Championship clubs, let alone following the Chelsea model and loaning adequate kids poor Premier League teams says the set up is still a long way off.

    Yet here we are again "well I thought player x (whom I've never seen play) was a world beater, we should keep him, the club is shite, the kids are shite, what's the point of having them, everything is shite".


    Be warned GB, because next time time we get this thread, and there will be a next time, I think I'm going to have to make it even simpler for the chronically hard of thinking.
    “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
    Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.

    .

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #32
      Not seen such Bravery! Blue Valkyrie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Location
      Valhalla
      Posts
      21,729


      0 Not allowed!
      A bit of good old fashioned honest quid pro quo with his agent to oil the wheels of a Ghayas Zahid transfer ?
      Out of contract June 2019 : Bruno, Bong, Murray
    • #33

      0 Not allowed!
      I was surprised when we extended his contract. As I said before when he was at Gothenberg it sounded like Bjordal wanted to sign for them. He wants first team football now and we can't offer it to him. I don't think this is a case that he isn't going to be good enough, just a case of we can't give him what he wants now.

      I think hes going to be creating a decent career for himself. We haven't heard the last of him I think.
    • #34
      Not seen such Bravery! Blue Valkyrie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Location
      Valhalla
      Posts
      21,729


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by andy1980 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I was surprised when we extended his contract. As I said before when he was at Gothenberg it sounded like Bjordal wanted to sign for them. He wants first team football now and we can't offer it to him. I don't think this is a case that he isn't going to be good enough, just a case of we can't give him what he wants now.

      I think hes going to be creating a decent career for himself. We haven't heard the last of him I think.
      It could be that these options we take out on players are just so we can get a sell-on clause when they leave a few weeks later.
      Out of contract June 2019 : Bruno, Bong, Murray
    • #35
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      at home
      Posts
      41,028


      2 Not allowed!
      Of course you could form the view that if anyone decent comes through the lancing ranks, we would sell them to raise money for the first team.
      " It's a certain kind of fool that likes to hear the sound of his own voice"
      The Eagles - Certain Kind of Fool. Desperado
    • #36
      Members
      Join Date
      Jan 2015
      Posts
      5,120


      3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Publius Ovidius View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Of course you could form the view that if anyone decent comes through the lancing ranks, we would sell them to raise money for the first team.
      There is also the issue of the ''Expediency'' of Brighton's rise in the last 3 years. I don't think even anyone at the club expected the rise to be that quick and with that then the younger players need to progress even quicker. In just under 4 years the club has gone from being near the bottom of the Championship to almost mid table PL. That's a big step for youngsters to keep up with. We are playing at the table with the ''Big Boys'' now so the younger players need to progress quicker or they won't make the grade.
    • #37
      Members
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Posts
      4,180


      4 Not allowed!
      Something that Barcelona seem to write into a players contract is a buy-back option and a figure agreed.

      I have no problem with players like Bjordal or even Goldson moving on to get some game time but a 2 year option to buy back at double the price we sell them for must be a sensible clause to have in the contract so we can still benefit from having invested in them for such a long time and with them possibly having the ability given the game time
    • #38
      Whalewhine Taybha's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2008
      Location
      Uwantsumorwat
      Posts
      20,620


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by the right footed denilson View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Wow. Love the club. But iI bet serious money we'll never get a first team regular from our youth set up.
      I will have a friendly interweb type bet with you that Gyokeres will break into the 1st team set up this coming season and play at least 3 games .
      RIP Bud
    • #39
      Members Marshy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
      Posts
      17,816


      0 Not allowed!
      He was a good young player, but come on he's absolutely miles behind the likes of Knockaert, Izzy and Solly and that's before we add another wide player. He never had what I call a trick, just a big strong winger.

      Clearly the club feels he was never going to quite make it to the level we require.

      Gyokeres has a much much better chance
      I have to give it to you Mr Hughton, you are a far better Manager than I ever thought.
    • #40
      Members the right footed denilson's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Bristol
      Posts
      5,410


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Taybha View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I will have a friendly interweb type bet with you that Gyokeres will break into the 1st team set up this coming season and play at least 3 games .
      That's bold. You're on. Three premier appearances?
      Spectators arriving by ferry will usually have to take the direct train from Newhaven, (or by direct train from Portsmouth) although berthing is available for smaller vessels in the nearby harbour. Spectators arriving by charter plane or commercial flights are advised to board the direct train from Gatwick Airport.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •