Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Denamrk v Maty Ryan

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Nothing changes with VAR, it just moves the goalposts. Without VAR the football pundits would be talking long and hard about the Iran goal, how a clear offside was allowed to stand. Instead, with VAR we're talking about slight handballs, whether England should have got a penalty for Kane being wrestled. Without VAR there wouldn't have been more than passing comment about either of these incidents.

The end result though remains the same, discussion on controversial decisions that might have changed the result, together withadded time-wasting, loss of spontaneity about goals, and so on. Its a no from me.

The Lino flagged for offside in the Iran game.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The Lino flagged for offside in the Iran game.

I could have sworn he didn't, but told the referee he thought it might be offside, and to check VAR. I'm pretty sure that without VAR he would have flagged yes.

But sure. My point was more that a simple decision was easily cleared up as VAR intends, but VAR now means we have shifted our focus and spend ages discussing things that weren't previously that debatable, with the same controversy and feeling of being hard done by by referee's decisions.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
They don't seem to have been using the rules like this for some time. If the rule was always correctly followed, players like Bruno wouldn't defend in the box with their arms behind their back.

He doesn't - he has them round the attackers ! (for corners anyway).

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I could have sworn he didn't, but told the referee he thought it might be offside, and to check VAR. I'm pretty sure that without VAR he would have flagged yes.

But sure. My point was more that a simple decision was easily cleared up as VAR intends, but VAR now means we have shifted our focus and spend ages discussing things that weren't previously that debatable, with the same controversy and feeling of being hard done by by referee's decisions.

I agree with your main point. But the lino flag is up straight away. Check the replay!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
They should have got Cahill on for the last 20mins, he has a knack of getting on the end of something.
That Danish bloke Sisto was damned quick, a pocket rocket so not defensive enough for CH.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here