Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup: Ronaldo v Morocco

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hmmm....I guess if you've already made up your mind. He wasn't scythed down, but there was proper contact. Surely you'd have wanted it if it was against England?

Video doesn't work, but I saw it as many times as I needed to anyway.

You're another proponent of the theory that "if there's contact then it MUST be a foul" then. Sorry, but when the contact is negligible and feather-light then no, I don't buy that its always a mandatory foul. That touch on Ronaldo wouldn't have left a dent on a jelly, let alone send a 6ft 2 wall of muscle collapsing to the floor like that.

England certainly aren't exempt from having divers in the team, we're carrying a few who are hardly whiter than white in that respect. But I'd much prefer England to win games fairly without cheating. I'd be quite embarrassed if Kane won a pen doing what Ronaldo did this afternoon.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Video doesn't work, but I saw it as many times as I needed to anyway.

You're another proponent of the theory that "if there's contact then it MUST be a foul" then. Sorry, but when the contact is negligible and feather-light then no, I don't buy that its always a mandatory foul. That touch on Ronaldo wouldn't have left a dent on a jelly, let alone send a 6ft 2 wall of muscle collapsing to the floor like that.

England certainly aren't exempt from having divers in the team, we're carrying a few who are hardly whiter than white in that respect. But I'd much prefer England to win games fairly without cheating. I'd be quite embarrassed if Kane won a pen doing what Ronaldo did this afternoon.

This.

NSC posters stating "but there was contact", are new disciples to modern cheating. Ten/fifteen years ago no British football fan spoke in those terms, about feather touches or light contact between dangling legs. Many British punters have been sucked in to the new norm, or are too young to remember times before this cheating.

boik

That is such a crap video, it doesn't show it from the front where you can see his leg getting bent. Almost as if the video was cut short to suit someones argument.

Look, I'm in danger of being labelled a Ronaldo fanboy, which I definitely am not, and I'm definitely not of the "there was contact so it must be a penalty" but I just don't think he should be a pantomime villain beccause of what happened against England. He was knocked off balance and prevented from getting to the ball by an opponent who was nowhere near the ball. By modern standards that is a penalty. Shame you can't see the head on video.

Anyway enough of this, I remember now why I don't get into these debates.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
That is such a crap video, it doesn't show it from the front where you can see his leg getting bent. Almost as if the video was cut short to suit someones argument.

Look, I'm in danger of being labelled a Ronaldo fanboy, which I definitely am not, and I'm definitely not of the "there was contact so it must be a penalty" but I just don't think he should be a pantomime villain beccause of what happened against England. He was knocked off balance and prevented from getting to the ball by an opponent who was nowhere near the ball. By modern standards that is a penalty. Shame you can't see the head on video.

Anyway enough of this, I remember now why I don't get into these debates.
I watched the game and I saw all the angles. It was a dive.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Because you nominate your Elite select referee a few years in advance whereby they go through training, development etc to get to the World Cup. One of the things is you must still be an active referee in the season of the World Cup. Sadly for us Mark Clattenburg decided to bugger off last summer to head up the Saudia Arabia league to head up the referees there...

Was he the only one? What about the complete and utter shyster?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Was he the only one? What about the complete and utter shyster?

Each country puts forward 1 Elite group (Ref, Lino's) and we put Clattenburg especially given he ref'd the Euros final etc. I think Michael Oliver is likely to replace him especially with his Champions League experience.

Mike Dean has never been close to being put forward at Elite level

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here