Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Canada legalises recreational cannabis use.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
It seems though that you formed your opinion a long time ago and on poor or false information. If we never reviewed anything when new or better information became available, then we would still be giving Thalidomide to pregnant women.
Previous Governments have appointed people to look at this issue of drugs misuse in the past, but they do not always listen to the advice. In 1970 Cannabis was downgraded to a class B drug, previously it had been classed as dangerous as Heroin. In 1978 a further downgrading to class C was recommended by the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs, but the Government of the day rejected that. The same body made the same recommendation in 2002 and this time it was accepted. The same body was asked to look again at cannabis as a class c drug after links to mental health issues were reported, the body decided the link was weak and that it should remain a class C drug, Government rejects advice and reclassifies as class B, a year later they sack Professor David Nutt for giving his expert opinion that illicit drugs should be classified according to the actual evidence of the harm they cause and pointed out that alcohol and tobacco caused more harm than LSD, ecstasy and cannabis, and that smoking cannabis created only a "relatively small risk" of psychotic illness.
The reason Cannabis remains illegal is political and not logical. The reason that politicians fear legalisation, is because until recently, much of the older generation are people with your mind set, and it does appear to be firmly set, and older people vote more.

My opinion was formed over time. I have watched a few debates recently with it being current news. Victoria Derbyshire on BBC, Question Time and Sky News The Pledge which reported a survey conducted in 2016/17 showed that only 6.6% of adults in the UK take cannabis and that 16.24% were aged 16-24.

On Question Time Afua Hirsch who is conflicted on the subject did say that in countries where it is legalised, they do have a problem with teenagers getting cannabis from dealers. If there is a move towards teenagers wanting to smoke it in the UK, then we need a strong message that it can damage their health. Legalisation sends the wrong message.

The point that alcohol and tobacco do more harm does not mean we should legalise something else that causes harm to the list of things we already have.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
My opinion was formed over time. I have watched a few debates recently with it being current news. Victoria Derbyshire on BBC, Question Time and Sky News The Pledge which reported a survey conducted in 2016/17 showed that only 6.6% of adults in the UK take cannabis and that 16.24% were aged 16-24.

On Question Time Afua Hirsch who is conflicted on the subject did say that in countries where it is legalised, they do have a problem with teenagers getting cannabis from dealers. If there is a move towards teenagers wanting to smoke it in the UK, then we need a strong message that it can damage their health. Legalisation sends the wrong message.

The point that alcohol and tobacco do more harm does not mean we should legalise something else that causes harm to the list of things we already have.

so you prefer the status quo where experimental kids buy unknown quantities of contaminated substances from organised criminals?

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
so you prefer the status quo where experimental kids buy unknown quantities of contaminated substances from organised criminals?

I think we need to educate children properly. Teenagers will go on buying unknown quantities of contaminated substances from organised criminals because the law will exclude them from buying it legally.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I think we need to educate children properly. Teenagers will go on buying unknown quantities of contaminated substances from organised criminals because the law will exclude them from buying it legally.

so in conclusion?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Most of that sounds about right.
Why does alcohol cause more harm? Is it because you can get it from the supermarket, get have it with you meals out, and then go around all the pubs in town downing loads more with your mates? Is there evidence to suggest that an alcoholic beverage a day is worse for you than a splif a day?

No, it is because it a more toxic substance, has greater ability to create mental dependency, can cause physical dependency, and is often a contributor to violent behaviour. In severe cases an Alcoholic cannot simply stop drinking, they can die if they do not consume alcohol, this is not true for any other substance taken recreationally that I am aware of.
A moderate amount of alcohol consumption is probably beneficial to health and I suspect that in the comparison you make, a glass of wine a day is probably better overall, but I don't know of any study proving that. However, there is no level of cannabis ingestion that has ever proved fatal, the health risks are all associated with smoking as the method of ingestion and not the substance itself. If the comparison were between eating a small amount of cannabis or drinking a glass of wine there is a wider range of health benefits associated with cannabis that would come in to play and I suspect cannabis would be more beneficial overall.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I was 14 years old, I walked into my comprehensive school toilets to see five mates rolling a spliff, they asked me if I wanted a puff, I wasn't interested I was into my sport they knew that so no peer pressure.

These guys were the first to have a cigarette, first to get drunk and certainly the first to be regular cannabis users, what could possibly go wrong eh ??

All were dead before they are 18 years old, all through drug misuse and at different times in different places.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
I was 14 years old, I walked into my comprehensive school toilets to see five mates rolling a spliff, they asked me if I wanted a puff, I wasn't interested I was into my sport they knew that so no peer pressure.

These guys were the first to have a cigarette, first to get drunk and certainly the first to be regular cannabis users, what could possibly go wrong eh ??

All were dead before they are 18 years old, all through drug misuse and at different times in different places.

Thats very sad. You make a good point about finding positive activities to boost confidence and hopefully promote a healthier lifestyle.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Don't legalise it. Educate.

the irony is that the legal term for drugs is "controlled substances". controlled by criminals!
legalisation would generate an awful lot of money for the treasury and criminal gangs would need to find alternative revenue streams.
legalisation would pay for the increased education you call for and, fund the NHS to mitigate any negative effects.
the savings made from unblocking the judicial and prison systems would also be significant.

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Thats very sad. You make a good point about finding positive activities to boost confidence and hopefully promote a healthier lifestyle.

it is very sad. if it were possible to ensure the substance quality and fund education of the more vulnerable, would you support it?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I have lost friends and family members to drugs too, being illegal didn't stop it happening. Legalising cannabis won't stop it happening, but it might slow the progression down.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
the irony is that the legal term for drugs is "controlled substances". controlled by criminals!
legalisation would generate an awful lot of money for the treasury and criminal gangs would need to find alternative revenue streams.
legalisation would pay for the increased education you call for and, fund the NHS to mitigate any negative effects.
the savings made from unblocking the judicial and prison systems would also be significant.

There is no way the government would make it legal for use for teenagers. The criminals will still target them. There are some problems that cannot be solved in society. The best way to reach people is with education and back it up with encouraging a positive lifestyle. It won't save everyone but nor will legalising it.

I agree the NHS needs to step up. When we use the term recreational use, it refers mainly to people who have mental health issues such as anxiety, stress and depression. I would not be against a tablet being given to such people derived from cannabis when taken under supervision of professions with the consent of the patient.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
it is very sad. if it were possible to ensure the substance quality and fund education of the more vulnerable, would you support it?

In a medical use pill form for those with mental health problems, yes without a doubt. But no to smoking it. Is it that the problem is worse for teenagers with few interests and particularly those from poorer families. More education and after school clubs would be a great start.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
In a medical use pill form for those with mental health problems, yes without a doubt. But no to smoking it. Is it that the problem is worse for teenagers with few interests and particularly those from poorer families. More education and after school clubs would be a great start.

what do you make of the link posted in [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] post #312?

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
We have been getting it wrong, time to adjust our education and look at boosting children's confidence and self esteem.

Very good point in which I fully agree, however would it not be prudent to control what is available to the yet to be educated?

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
what do you make of the link posted in [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] post #312?

I don't agree with Mr Lakeman at all. It is heartbreaking that so many children die to drugs. Legalisation won't solve the problem and sends the wrong message.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here