Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Canada legalises recreational cannabis use.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I don't know you so I mean no offence but you read like someone in denial. Apologies if I'm off mark.
You'll have to be specific. Which specific comment/s or line/s of text within this thread, makes me appear (or 'read') as though I'm in denial?

Which part of my reply to you, was incorrect?

Good work on here [MENTION=17571]StonehamPark[/MENTION] I'm glad as a puffer then to have paced you on a 22" 5k run.

Haha, that was a couple of years ago now eh! I've not run more than 3k other than playing football since then.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Ok. So clearly the message that is currently being sent by the government is that marajuana is a hard-core drug. As the negative impacts of the drug are provably less than that of tobacco and alcohol, both of which are not considered to be 'hard-core drugs', marajuana is therefore not a hard-core drug, and the government needs to legalise it in order to send the right message.

Keeping it illegal would send the wrong message to the population, and I'm sure you would agree that is not on.

Legalising it of course in no way compels you or your family to smoke it, and you can continue to make that choice. I for example choose not to eat peanut butter because I hate the damn stuff, and ensure that my family don't either so I can avoid the smell in my own home.
This. If it is about sending out the right message then the government has two choices as far as I can see.

Either legalise cannabis or criminalise alcohol and tabacco. Otherwise the message is skewed.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I do like satay that is true. And peanuts in general are absolutely fine. Peanut butter though, urghhh. So when I criminalise the acts of owning, consuming or trading in peanut butter, there will have to be specific guidelines.
What about use for medical purposes?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I understand your dilemma. But we all break the law sometimes. Streaming online may be one that many NSC members are guilty of. Providing we are not punished for minor crimes that just set a boundary, the law can be used to keep certain activities in a private setting.

We all break the law sometimes? Mate who used to sell weed to me was sent down for two years, I'm not sure he agrees with your sentiments! Criminalising something that the majority of the population have done in their lives has consequences, and changes should be made

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Of course law can change. It is my opinion the it does not need to be so for cannabis. People can still smoke it without be overt and making it common place thus putting parents who wish to give their children a different set of morals the ability to parent the way they wish too.
But as someone has pointed out the law makes no difference to parenting. As an example my mother hated smoking and forbid my brother and I from smoking. She carried on forbidding us when we were legally allowed to. She still forbids me to do it now I am middle aged. It made as much difference to my choices and the legality of weed etc.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This would not give a legal boundary to use for parenting. For me the law is correct and operates well. Politicians have much better subjects to debate.

When we move boundaries there are always those who flout them. So keep the law and let those who wish to smoke it continue in private. Many parents would not want their children to witness it. Also there is the foul smell and I don't want to breathe in the second hand smoke.

What measure are you using to come to the conclusion that the law is operating we? Surely a law operating well would be one that is stopping people from breaking it? When I was growing up I could count on one hand the number of people I knew who didn't get stoned. I don't live in the UK anymore but i can't believe things have changed that much.

The fact that the laws are not operating well is the reason other countries are trying different stuff isn't it?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I am not ignorant. We have different views. I have a moral stance I am happy with backed by experts albeit ones you disagree with.

Dr. Sanjay Gupta said:
I apologize because I didn't look hard enough, until now. I didn't look far enough. I didn't review papers from smaller labs in other countries doing some remarkable research, and I was too dismissive of the loud chorus of legitimate patients whose symptoms improved on cannabis...

I mistakenly believed the Drug Enforcement Agency listed marijuana as a schedule 1 substance because of sound scientific proof. Surely, they must have quality reasoning as to why marijuana is in the category of the most dangerous drugs that have "no accepted medicinal use and a high potential for abuse." They didn't have the science to support that claim, and I now know that when it comes to marijuana neither of those things are true...

We have been terribly and systematically misled for nearly 70 years in the United States, and I apologize for my own role in that.

:clap2:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Probably some truth in that but I've heard that argument from stoners all over the world. My family aside, I genuinely find grown adults digging around in an old Quality St tin to find a roach, crumbling weed into a skin etc profoundly depressing. Its like spending time in a squat.

I am sure they will take this into account while debating the notion in parliament

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I've discussed the legalisation of cannabis with my adult children who are still part of the clubbing scene and to get a different perspective with an old mate who has been smoking it daily for medicinal and recreational purposes.

It's now stronger than it was in my youth and they know of many people who have suffered mental issues from smoking it. It is now a harder drug than it used to be. They also say it is in their experience most definitely a gateway drug.

However there is a case for legalisation. As William Hague recently said, the war on drugs has been lost. The current law does not work. Most students at Uni has tried or regularly using drugs, the statistics are staggering. Maybe we should think about a different approach.

I remember when resin and more mellow weed made way for skunk, super skunk and various hydrids that were stupidly strong. This is when i gave the stuff up as it sent me off my nut and usually very quiet (other encouraged me to stick with it :lolol::lolol:). I missed the other stuff but it wasn't around my circles and dealers. If it had been legal there would still have been the stuff I liked available and i could have continued an enjoyable pass time at my leisure.

This is one of the great benefits of legalising it. People like myself could have the choice of what type of cannabis we smoked rather than have a choice of nothing or what dealers could get their hands on.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
My kids are coming up to the age where they may start experimenting with this stuff. Baring in mind that the law is not really a deterrent in stopping people from smoking cannabis i am left with one question.

Would i prefer them buying their gear from an unlicensed, unregulated dealer who provides a random quality, random strength product (and who mave have ice or meth or some shit on the property to offer them)?

or

Would I prefer them to buy their gear from a licensed and regulated shop that provides consistent product with safety warnings and the support of quality information about the product.

As a parent, this is a no brainer.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
medicinal purposes yes. but so your average joe can go for a smoke no it stinks and people who say what about alcohol well if I walk past an alcoholic in the street I don't drink some of his alcohol but walk past someone having a smoke and I'm breathing that shit in.which could damage my brain a child's brain through passive smoking and let's make no bones about it everyone can smell when someone s having a spliff over a 100 Meters away.plus more and more people will think it's okay to do it and more people will suffer from mental health issues.i have few friends that have turned psychotic due to smoking gear.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I have no current opinion of inebriation pre-alcohol within the human race.

I am not ignorant. We have different views. I have a moral stance I am happy with backed by experts albeit ones you disagree with.

My statement was misinterpreted from what I meant.

My decision on Brexit is formed from my own thoughts. I believe in a global economy fit for the future and a government who have the power to act in accordance with democracy.

I am not a dunce. I have a good education but have a different point of view to you. I am confident enough not to be bullied to change that opinion.

Nor should you be bullied into changing your opinion, but it should be possible to reason with you shouldn't it?

The evidence is out there that contradicts your opinion, but it seems you will not seek it out, there are issues around the smoking of cannabis, but prohibiting the smoking of cannabis also has issues, and on balance, it seems clear that legalisation has far fewer issues than prohibition. I do understand having your long and firmly held beliefs challenged can feel like being bullied, but I think most here have simply asked you to have a more open mind and look at it again.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This would not give a legal boundary to use for parenting. For me the law is correct and operates well. Politicians have much better subjects to debate.

When we move boundaries there are always those who flout them. So keep the law and let those who wish to smoke it continue in private. Many parents would not want their children to witness it. Also there is the foul smell and I don't want to breathe in the second hand smoke.
As has been stated you don't need 'legal boundaries' for parenting. And if it's in private then you wouldn't witness it would you?

I accept that you feel the law is correct and operates well. However there is a very large (and growing) body of opinion that profoundly disagrees with you and feels the current law does not work well at all.. And when Tory ministers, ex-ministers and the Daily Telegraph are all part of that body then you know the desire for change permeates all levels of society.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
This is one of the great benefits of legalising it. People like myself could have the choice of what type of cannabis we smoked rather than have a choice of nothing or what dealers could get their hands on.

Amongst all the tomfoolery this is quite a sensible wish. What i cant understand are those that say the war on drugs has failed, lets stop the war on drugs. I was taken aback by a recent CH 4 documentary where the dealers were saying 75% of the dope they shift is skunk because that is what the market demands. The demand for skunk by illegal methods will surely be there if "normal" dope is still legalised so surely a war on this must continue......or is the thinking legalise marijuana and ignore the kids off their nuts on skunk too?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Amongst all the tomfoolery this is quite a sensible wish. What i cant understand are those that say the war on drugs has failed, lets stop the war on drugs. I was taken aback by a recent CH 4 documentary where the dealers were saying 75% of the dope they shift is skunk because that is what the market demands. The demand for skunk by illegal methods will surely be there if "normal" dope is still legalised so surely a war on this must continue......or is the thinking legalise marijuana and ignore the kids off their nuts on skunk too?

Is that right? that is quite a frightening statistic.

My preference would be to legalise the who spectrum but then again i personally think that it is better to legalise drugs across the board to make them safer.

But that is probably another discussion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here