Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Canada legalises recreational cannabis use.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Cannabis is a Russian Roulette drug.

If I took ten friends I know who smoked it eight are fine in life(for now). The other two both experienced psychosis from using it.

One of those sadly hung himself. There's no doubt the use of Cannabis contributed to the latter two friends psychosis episodes.

For many people it won't have an adverse effect on them, for others it can have a terrible impact on their lives.

All drugs, including alcohol are Russian roulette drugs

I don't want to sound flippant and I am genuinely sorry for your mate but this is the same story with alcohol.

Different drugs offer different odds of ****ing yourself up.

Not sure of the stats but i would guess that cannabis and alcohol are about the same in this respect.

By measure of my mates cannabis has been far less damaging than alcohol.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
One of the most depressing/pathetic things in life is seeing anyone over the age of 25 smoking weed. It's the drug of choice for life's losers. However, should it be legal? Absolutely. The medicinal benefits of correctly processed cannabis seem well proven and I would certainly hope to see it being legalised for that purpose.

Everyone is different but I have seen a member of my family waste his life on weed. His personality has changed for the worse over the years, all down to weed. He has lost jobs, mainly through his negativity caused by cannabis. He is selfish, childish and depressing to be around. To be fair I also suspect there are base problems, not just marijuana but it really does him no good at all.

Your opinion appears to be based on your (or family member's) bad experience.
With regards to a person 'going down a bad path' in relation to cannabis, this is due to the person and their chemical & biological make-up, or even social/environmental reasons, not ingesting THC.
Though I absolutely would agree that cannabis could exacerbate an underlying (or pre-existing) mental issue(s) in some instances, which is likely what happened to your family member.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
People now smoke it openly anyway so they might as well just do it and make some extra revenue. It certainly makes the seafront smell better on a sunny weekend.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Undecided.

Left work at 845pm yesterday, walked through Victoria Park, Worthing past 4 different groups smoking weed (surrounded by litter, which from previous experience I would bet would have been left behind), got to the station and a group outside smoking weed, sat on the platform and there was a group smoking weed. Mostly youngsters but also 20s, 30s so across an age range. Based just on the look of them, I would judge barely a job between them though.

Part of me wants to legalise it. Would prefer to see how it pans out for a while in places like the States and Canada that are ahead of us.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Of course it should be legalised, for all the reasons mentioned on this thread. Yes there are health implications when you do too much of it, but that applies to pretty much anything including legal drugs like alcohol. The tax generated would more than pay for the extra burden on the NHS and if people then actively choose cannabis over alcohol, it would probably reduce violent crime and all the monetary and social costs associated with that too.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
It would appear that millions around the world do! I don't think the amount of people who smoke it would change all that much. People who are partial to experimenting ignore the law as it is (i see myself as a law abiding citizen for example, but enjoyed smoking it a lot when i was younger), so legalizing it would make it safer and make a lot of money.

In my mind it's crazy that it's illegal when you compare the effects of cannabis and alcohol overall.

And as for a 'gateway drug' - where is your proof for that? Again, it's all about what people are partial to. Some youngsters like to experiment, some don't. I know people who smoked a fair bit but never really touched anything else. I know people who took a lot of pills but never really smoked. I know people who regularly got smashed drinking but would critise people who took illegal drugs without seeing the irony.

The argument that we have a legal product that is bad for you already does not justify making another drug legal. People die popping pills after just one tablet. Just say no to drugs is the best and safest way forward.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
No doubt there is a reason but God knows what though. Sometimes it feels like it's just there for the government to blame its problems on. A bit like the EU.

Oh dear, we are not on the same page on this subject. I am someone who would not change my mind about drugs.

Anyway to add a little humour..... God knows nothing cause he isn't real. Oh and I voted for Brexit.:lolol:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The argument that we have a legal product that is bad for you already does not justify making another drug legal. People die popping pills after just one tablet. Just say no to drugs is the best and safest way forward.

Taking this idea to its logical conclusion means that no-one should be allowed to undertake any dangerous activity. Rock Climbing, parachuting, driving..... the list is endless.

Out of interest do you take medicine and prescription drugs, drink coffee or alcohol? Are you anti all drugs or just those that someone else has deemed to be illegal?

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Oh dear, we are not on the same page on this subject. I am someone who would not change my mind about drugs.

Anyway to add a little humour..... God knows nothing cause he isn't real. Oh and I voted for Brexit.:lolol:

This is evident on this thread.

Personally I owe a great deal of things to drugs of different types over the years both legal and illegal.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I am very close to my adult children. My daughter has rejected the company of former friends who have attempted to take the drug in her presence and they both hold my anti drug stance. The boy who introduced my son to the drug is no longer a friend. The then friend, poor child had parents who smoked this drug and he was curious and stole it from his parents.

I bet your kids are fun at parties.

Jesus wept.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I am very close to my adult children. My daughter has rejected the company of former friends who have attempted to take the drug in her presence and they both hold my anti drug stance. The boy who introduced my son to the drug is no longer a friend. The then friend, poor child had parents who smoked this drug and he was curious and stole it from his parents.

So you have taught your children to turn their back on friends because they partake in something you believe is wrong?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
So you have taught your children to turn their back on friends because they partake in something you believe is wrong?

I am not necessarily with btnbelle on all of this, but it might be that she is steering her children away from something she believes might ultimately harm them, not the worst parenting trait.

Last edited:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I am not necessarily with btnbelle on all of this, but it might be that she is steering her children away from something she believes might ultimately harm them, not the worst parenting trait.

I’d rather my children had the ability to not do what one of their friends does without completely servering the friendship.

Just seems massively OTT

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Taking this idea to its logical conclusion means that no-one should be allowed to undertake any dangerous activity. Rock Climbing, parachuting, driving..... the list is endless.

Out of interest do you take medicine and prescription drugs, drink coffee or alcohol? Are you anti all drugs or just those that someone else has deemed to be illegal?

Drugs take you on a different type of trip to driving. Rock climbing etc are forms of exercise.

I take meds given by my GP. If cannabis is given by a doctor, I am ok with it, just not open access for leisure.

No I don't drink coffee. Far too dangerous for me..... I drink a nice cup of tea though.

I drink alcohol moderately. I can easily stop when required. Yes it is a drug that does a lot of harm and it would not be legalised today if the starting point was the same as cannabis.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017

I have not taught them to turn there backs on friends. It happens as a natural process of not wanting to be around people smoking cannabis.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here