Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Canada legalises recreational cannabis use.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

Attachments

• unspecified-5-1_1024x1024.jpg
    unspecified-5-1_1024x1024.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 71

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Ok, so you don't know.

The United States convened a 13-nation conference of the International Opium Commission in 1909 in Shanghai, China in response to increasing criticism of the opium trade. The treaty was signed by Germany, the United States, China, France, the United Kingdom, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Persia, Portugal, Russia, and Siam. The Convention provided, "The contracting Powers shall use their best endeavours to control, or to cause to be controlled, all persons manufacturing, importing, selling, distributing, and exporting morphine, cocaine, and their respective salts, as well as the buildings in which these persons carry such an industry or trade.

'In 1929, a man called Harry Anslinger was put in charge of the Department of Prohibition in Washington, D.C. But alcohol prohibition had been a disaster. Gangsters had taken over whole neighborhoods. Alcohol — controlled by criminals — had become even more poisonous.

In the USA alcohol prohibition finally ended — and Harry Anslinger was afraid. He found himself in charge of a huge government department, with nothing for it to do. Up until then, he had said that cannabis was not a problem. It doesn’t harm people, he explained, and “there is no more absurd fallacy” than the idea it makes people violent.
But then — suddenly, when his department needed a new purpose — he announced he had changed his mind.

He explained to the public what would happen if you smoked cannabis.

First, you will fall into “a delirious rage.” Then you will be gripped by “dreams... of an erotic character.” Then you will “lose the power of connected thought.” Finally, you will reach the inevitable end-point: “Insanity.”

Marijuana turns man into a “wild beast.“ If marijuana bumped into Frankenstein’s monster on the stairs, Anslinger warned, the monster would drop dead of fright'

People needing to stay employed I guess.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The United States convened a 13-nation conference of the International Opium Commission in 1909 in Shanghai, China in response to increasing criticism of the opium trade.
Yes, opium was causing bad for the people who took it, and caused a lot of trouble in China (and the opium war to go with it).

In the USA alcohol prohibition finally ended — and Harry Anslinger was afraid. He found himself in charge of a huge government department, with nothing for it to do. Up until then, he had said that cannabis was not a problem. It doesn’t harm people, he explained
Yep, back then we thought tobacco was good for you too.
He explained to the public what would happen if you smoked cannabis.

First, you will fall into “a delirious rage.” Then you will be gripped by “dreams... of an erotic character.” Then you will “lose the power of connected thought.” Finally, you will reach the inevitable end-point: “Insanity.”

Marijuana turns man into a “wild beast.“ If marijuana bumped into Frankenstein’s monster on the stairs, Anslinger warned, the monster would drop dead of fright'
Right, so you're saying that it was made illegal because of the perceived idea of how bad it was for people's health, and how anti-social it made people. The opposite of what you said earlier.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Yes, opium was causing bad for the people who took it, and caused a lot of trouble in China (and the opium war to go with it).

Yep, back then we thought tobacco was good for you too.
Right, so you're saying that it was made illegal because of the perceived idea of how bad it was for people's health, and how anti-social it made people. The opposite of what you said earlier.

Cannabis isnt opium.
Trust me, over the years I have seen multitudes of acts of anti social behaviour. I would say a very small percentage was due to cannabis, and most of that could be termed as 'dumb insolence' rather than violence, which lets face it, alcohol can provide. Frequently. I consider drunken brawls that can be witnessed every Saturday night in the UK as rather anti social. Im 63 and smoked daily for as long as I can remember. I dont get into bar fights, im very sociable (believe it or not), and have a reputation of being a very nice man. Im sticking with it. Illegal or not really.

Last edited:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
The term 'skunk' is used incorrectly in the UK.
Skunk is simply the resulting bud of an unpollenated plant, typically containing a higher THC percentage. It's not a unique or dangerous strain, just a term thrown around for stronger strains.

I can only talk of Washington, BC, Alberta and Colorado, that of the people I know who smoke, generally opt for low THC and high CBD strains, which appear to generally more popular.

Legalization would enable the buyer to know exactly what they are getting, and I believe the trend would continue, and lower THC cannabis would be bought and consumed.

With regards to the myth that criminals would grow stronger strains and sell to kids, the way BC have combated this is massively increase sentencing to dealers selling to kids. I believe (though without checking) that dealing to minors can return up to 14 years in jail.
I believe that once the novelty of legal cannabis wears off, minors become less interested. Coupled with better education and information about cannabis.

What's holding the UK back from legalization is the dinosaur views on cannabis and scare mongering of those that are easily-led.

Do some fact checking. Do some research. Many many studies have been done. I will happily link some should anyone be interested.

I do think the UK is a good few years behind.
Australia and NZ will possibly be next to go green, then possibly Japan and a couple of European countries. Then the UK will follow suit. But obviously this last paragraph is pure guesswork.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Cannabis isnt opium.
You brought opium into it.
Trust me, over the years I have seen multitudes of acts of anti social behaviour. I would say a very small percentage was due to cannabis, and most of that could be termed as 'dumb insolence' rather than violence, which lets face it, alcohol can provide. Frequently.
Hey, I don't disagree. As I've said, I'm not really against it being legalised, although I think we need to learn more about it.

But btnbelle said it's bad for your health and anti social, and you replied that they weren't reasons why it was made illegal, but it seems (from your quotes of Harry Anslinger) that they're exactly the reasons it was made illegal. Whether he was right or not.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
You brought opium into it.
Hey, I don't disagree. As I've said, I'm not really against it being legalised, although I think we need to learn more about it.

But btnbelle said it's bad for your health and anti social, and you replied that they weren't reasons why it was made illegal, but it seems (from your quotes of Harry Anslinger) that they're exactly the reasons it was made illegal. Whether he was right or not.

oh this argument will go on until it is eventually legalized really couldnt it haha. Not sure about this anti social argument. How on earth does it make somebody anti social, if anything, it makes people more social in my experience.

ps I brought opium into the debate as it was under that unbrella that cannabis was made illegal. Makes no sense, but there you go.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How on earth does it make somebody anti social
Maybe it doesn't, but that's what you say Harry Anslinger said:
"He explained to the public what would happen if you smoked cannabis. First, you will fall into “a delirious rage.” Then you will be gripped by “dreams... of an erotic character.” Then you will “lose the power of connected thought.” Finally, you will reach the inevitable end-point: “Insanity.”

Seems pretty anti-social to me.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Maybe it doesn't, but that's what you say Harry Anslinger said:

He also said:

“There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others…the primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races… Marijuana is an addictive drug which produces in its users insanity, criminality, and death…Reefer makes darkies think they’re as good as white men.”Marihuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing…You smoke a joint and you’re likely to kill your brother…Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind.”
- Harry J. Anslinger
http://web.mit.edu/cultureshock/fa2009/Walker2.html

This is the mentality which started the war on Cannabis.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here