Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Canada legalises recreational cannabis use.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I would turn that around. Legalising does not prevent all deaths and so is not a good option. It is a week argument, to say, lets have less deaths or poor health outcomes. Better healthcare and education for mental health is the option I favour for a good reason.

That option is also available post legalisation, but the cost could be met by a tax on cannabis sales, rather than diverting from other funding.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
In the mean time hundreds if not thousands of people suffer and many die from taking unregulated, untested and ultimately dangerous drugs.

At the end of the day, people know there is a risk and they take that risk. A person has the right to act as they choose.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I would turn that around. Legalising does not prevent all deaths and so is not a good option. It is a week argument, to say, lets have less deaths or poor health outcomes. Better healthcare and education for mental health is the option I favour for a good reason.

Less deaths (actually it's fewer deaths, but never mind that for now) is a very good thing to strive for. Even if you could miraculously uninvent every drug ever invented you wouldn't stop all deaths (in fact it would, of course, result in many more deaths, as some of us have had their lives saved or prolonged by drugs - sometimes even the very same drugs that cause damage when abused).

There is no such thing as a no-death option!

Cars kill, motorbikes kill, cyclists and pedestrians get killed, boxing kills, cricket kills, mountaineering and lots of other sports kill, trying to run a marathon can kill; obesity kills, and so do some snakes and other wild animals. Just where do you stop banning things, or 'just saying no'?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
All those you quoted are manufactured from plants? well, not sure about ketamin and mdma, would need some convincing.. however, cocaine, and heroin come with additions. Paraffin in the production of cocaine for example.

Indoor cannabis feeds are full of unnatural substances. Most indoor growers don't flush the plant before chopping which means it will have a better yield. Sadly, that means the weed will be still full of unnatural substances. If you've ever smoked weed where the ash goes black rather than grey, it's a sign the weed is full of crap. 99.99% of weed sold on the streets isn't grown organically.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
That option is also available post legalisation, but the cost could be met by a tax on cannabis sales, rather than diverting from other funding.

No to legalising a substance, that should only be available with medical supervision. Best of all worlds, you have health problems and your GP will guide you. The tax can be added onto a paid for prescription if you are that keen on taxing it but personally I wouldn't raise tax from people who have just as much right to health care as someone who has any other health condition.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Indoor cannabis feeds are full of unnatural substances. Most indoor growers don't flush the plant which means it will have a better yield. Sadly, that means the weed will be still full of unnatural substances. If you've ever smoked weed where the ash goes black rather than grey, it's a sign the weed is full of crap. 99.99% of weed sold on the streets isn't grown organically.

Better its regulated then and taxed. Good income. Country will need something for the future.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Less deaths (actually it's fewer deaths, but never mind that for now) is a very good thing to strive for. Even if you could miraculously uninvent every drug ever invented you wouldn't stop all deaths (in fact it would, of course, result in many more deaths, as some of us have had their lives saved or prolonged by drugs - sometimes even the very same drugs that cause damage when abused).

There is no such thing as a no-death option!

Cars kill, motorbikes kill, cyclists and pedestrians get killed, boxing kills, cricket kills, mountaineering and lots of other sports kill, trying to run a marathon can kill; obesity kills, and so do some snakes and other wild animals. Just where do you stop banning things, or 'just saying no'?

Quite death is a hazard of life. In fact it is certain to happen to us all. Risk is there in all things and we all have a choice about which activites we choose. There is however one way not to die from illegal drugs and that is don't take them.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

but more likely as suggested in the article
'As said safrole can be synthesized from catechol and other related methylenedioxy compounds'. What about Ketamine?

I think the best way around the cannabis law is...if you want to grow it for personal use. You can. Nobody will trouble you over it.
No criminal convictions etc etc

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Better its regulated then and taxed. Good income. Country will need something for the future.

Amsterdam's weed is regulated and taxed but their weed has been sprayed with all sorts of horrible stuff. Amsterdams weed is probably the most unhealthy smoke you'll ever buy. It's disgraceful the standard of weed they're growing and selling.

We need to take the route Spain has taken with dicrimilising weed. Members only clubs.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Quite death is a hazard of life. In fact it is certain to happen to us all. Risk is there in all things and we all have a choice about which activites we choose. There is however one way not to die from illegal drugs and that is don't take them.

A policy (banning them) that has been proved time and time again not to work. Illegal and un-regulated they are actually much more dangerous.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Indoor cannabis feeds are full of unnatural substances. Most indoor growers don't flush the plant before chopping which means it will have a better yield. Sadly, that means the weed will be still full of unnatural substances. If you've ever smoked weed where the ash goes black rather than grey, it's a sign the weed is full of crap. 99.99% of weed sold on the streets isn't grown organically.

Your main point is totally correct. Most cannabis dealt on the streets in the UK comes from amateur indoor growers and quality and strength is totally unknown, which can only be a bad thing. Some growers (and dealers) may also lace the cannabis with unknown chemicals or additives to increase weight, which can absolutely be dangerous.

In Canada, for example, Cannabis (for retail) is grown in a strict and controlled environment, and the strength and quality is always consistent, with a sticker slapped onto the jar at the end of the process, so buyers know exactly what they are getting.
Interestingly (to me anyway), higher CBD and lower THC strains are more popular here, due to the proven medical benefits and minimal psychedelic properties.

Keep street dealers from selling by enforcing a 'do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to jail' rule.

Next up, legalization of psilocybin. :rave:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Amsterdam's weed is regulated and taxed but their weed has been sprayed with all sorts of horrible stuff. Amsterdams weed is probably the worst you'll ever buy. It's disgraceful the standard of weed they're growing and selling.

We need to take the route Spain has taken with dicrimilising weed. Members only clubs.

A lot of the weed in Holland is actually grown here and exported. Vietnamese have the marijuana business wrapped up here
I lived in Amsterdam for a year, then moved to Den Haag. Weed much better in Den Haag. The people who run the business know that it is mostly going to tourists in Amsterdam, and unlikely to complain about the standard. If they even remember where they bought it. Less tourists in Den Haag. If the weeds crap, people come back and complain.

The club option is what people who have bars are looking at here. More to get around the cigarette ban, but weed does come into it.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Perhaps it's only me, but there's a certain irony in someone proposing better education as the only solution to all the problems relating to drugs when that person can't spell and has atrocious grammar.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
No to legalising a substance, that should only be available with medical supervision. Best of all worlds, you have health problems and your GP will guide you. The tax can be added onto a paid for prescription if you are that keen on taxing it but personally I wouldn't raise tax from people who have just as much right to health care as someone who has any other health condition.

Why should it only be available with supervision? I can buy various other analgesics without supervision, some of which I can kill myself with if I take too many, or cause liver damage. Cannabis is safer than these.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
At the end of the day, people know there is a risk and they take that risk. A person has the right to act as they choose.

Yes, but you want to maintain the level of risk, not reduce it?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Or just use cannabis which killed no one directly, ever.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz

Surely we must do as much as possible to help these people, rather than your heartless hard cheese opinion.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

stick to legal drugs and die of them all the sooner!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here