Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] "Common scum who cost the railway millions and keep fares high"

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
No, not Barber's thoughts on Palace's special train but rather this...

Loughborough Junction: Tributes to graffiti artists hit by train
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44534102

A strong comment by a former TFL member who definitely wins today's prize for insensitivity :eek: But is it a case of harsh but fair? (Btw, I don't think he's saying they deserved to die though many will interpret as such I'm sure)

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
No, not Barber's thoughts on Palace's special train but rather this...

Loughborough Junction: Tributes to graffiti artists hit by train
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44534102

A strong comment by a former TFL member who definitely wins today's prize for insensitivity :eek: But is it a case of harsh but fair? (Btw, I don't think he's saying they deserved to die though many will interpret as such I'm sure)

What’s his NSC name?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
What, graffiti is the reason for fare hikes not corporate greed and general incompetence?

Yes, I was wondering about this. In the grand scale of things, is it simply a drop in the vast ocean that is the cost of running our railways? I guess many will argue the public purse could be better spent regardless e.g. education, health, defence

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Can anyone ever imagine a cut in fares if graffiti stopped ?... I drop Mrs V at the station most days and there are usually two Southern employees in Hi Vis making sure everyone has/gets a ticket.. oddly they have been unable to open the toilets on the station for some months as they lack the staff to keep an eye on it.... also now, the lifts appear out of order. How anyone in a wheelchair is supposed to get up and down the flights of stairs to change platforms is beyond me. Southern maximise their income at the expense of all the little things that make life tolerable.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What, graffiti is the reason for fare hikes not corporate greed and general incompetence?

The main reason for the high fares is the £b's spent on new infrastructure and trains, and linked to that the manner that everything on railway building in the UK must be done to perfection with an army of construction workers, surveyors, h&s, experts, and very expensive technical plant bought at huge cost.

Not said with any politcal angle, I don't mind if the network is renationalised, in fact it might be best.

But don't expect low fares under Corbyn. They're here to stay now.

97% of rail fare income stays in the industry in operations and on new infrastructure.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The main reason for the high fares is the £b's spent on new infrastructure and trains, and linked to that the manner that everything on railway building in the UK must be done to perfection with an army of construction workers, surveyors, h&s, experts, and very expensive technical plant bought at huge cost.

Not said with any politcal angle, I don't mind if the network is renationalised, in fact it might be best.

But don't expect low fares under Corbyn. They're here to stay now.

97% of rail fare income stays in the industry in operations and on new infrastructure.

So what are the French shareholders of Govia getting out of it ? prestige ?

Edit : Oh, and all the other rail companies owned abroad who are sucking out cash ?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Can anyone ever imagine a cut in fares if graffiti stopped ?... I drop Mrs V at the station most days and there are usually two Southern employees in Hi Vis making sure everyone has/gets a ticket.. oddly they have been unable to open the toilets on the station for some months as they lack the staff to keep an eye on it.... also now, the lifts appear out of order. How anyone in a wheelchair is supposed to get up and down the flights of stairs to change platforms is beyond me. Southern maximise their income at the expense of all the little things that make life tolerable.

I haven't been to Lancing for many years now, but someone told me this week that they have closed the ticket office to reduce staffing costs, and replaced it with the barriers. However, the barriers can only be used when staff are present, and when there are no staff, they are left open.

Not much saving there then!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Edit : Oh, and all the other rail companies owned abroad who are sucking out cash ?

a bit of the 3% profit.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Sucking out cash. The UK and overseas shareholders take £200m, out of a UK business with annual income of £19.5B (£10.5B from fares, £9B from central Government).

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
2 things have made me angry or upset today
1) This arse. Sometimes its best to just shut the **** up and say nothing, what a stupid comment to make, no one wants his opinion
2) The caged Mexican kids who are 'infesting' America crying for their daddy and Trump basking in it. Seriously, if that was another country well. And breaking news that the US is withdrawing from the UNs Human Rights Council

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
2 things have made me angry or upset today
1) This arse. Sometimes its best to just shut the **** up and say nothing, what a stupid comment to make, no one wants his opinion
2) The caged Mexican kids who are 'infesting' America crying for their daddy and Trump basking in it. Seriously, if that was another country well. Horrid

With Trump's spokespeople, past and present, aggressively defending the policy. Their stance, that arrested criminals including illegal immigrants, are necessarily always separated from their kids.

My suspicion is that they're using this cruelty to deter others crossing the border.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
With Trump's spokespeople, past and present, aggressively defending the policy. Their stance, that arrested criminals including illegal immigrants, are necessarily always separated from their kids.

My suspicion is that they're using this cruelty to deter others crossing the border.

Blimey, haven’t seen Trumps latest outrage (is it outrage still when it’s become normal?) but nothing’s beyond this man’s ego except a decent haircut.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I haven't been to Lancing for many years now, but someone told me this week that they have closed the ticket office to reduce staffing costs, and replaced it with the barriers. However, the barriers can only be used when staff are present, and when there are no staff, they are left open.

Not much saving there then!

Same at Shoreham. Even when the barriers are closed the staff open them for you whether you have a ticket or not. Hardly a well thought out system.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Can anyone ever imagine a cut in fares if graffiti stopped ?....

Probably not - but nonetheless the cost to the TOCs and Network Rail of vandalism and trespass is enormous - it runs to millions of pounds every year. That has to be paid for, so yes, part of what you pay for your ticket does go towards repairing the damage caused by vandals. Anybody who doesn't realise this has to be incredibly dense. Maybe somebody could sort the toilets (and why are they closed, or need to be supervised? Wouldn't be anything to do with vandalism, would it?) and the lifts if they weren't too busy repairing the damage caused by vandals and trespassers.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Blimey, haven’t seen Trumps latest outrage (is it outrage still when it’s become normal?) but nothing’s beyond this man’s ego except a decent haircut.

This is the most I have been shocked to be honest, separting the scared kids is inhumane the ****er, seemed to be quite pleased with himself, though whether or not this is his policy I havent any idea, found it quite upsetting (sorry to OT the thread)

If I was Mexican I'd happily contribute to a wall cutting Trump off to my country, do everyone a favour

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here