Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Sunderland humour at our expense!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What 'few million'? They're contracted for the next two seasons (or one in Hemed's case) anyway, so we can keep if we want to.

You're suggesting paying a wad of cash to keep players happy to sit on the bench though aren't you ?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Tut, that word 'legend' again. It's bandied about far too often in my opinion. Should only ever be used for the very cream of the crop. I even read an article a while ago which described Gary Dicker as a former Brighton & Hove Albion legend. Ahem, l don't think so.

Nope, Byrne definitely was and is. Gary Dicker, a fine player, isn’t so your beef is with someone else on this subject.

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
When did we care what other teams fans think?

Even less from a team relegated in successive seasons, and been crap for years. If Ben Roberts and his team think Steele & maybe Button are okay for the Albion then that's good enough for me, doesn't always work obviously but, happy for them to be given a chance.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You're suggesting paying a wad of cash to keep players happy to sit on the bench though aren't you ?

I'm suggesting a possible cost effective way of filling one or more of the reserve goal-keeper spots. I wonder how much it would take to tempt one of them to stay for another season?

I'm not saying the club should do this - I trust the recruitment team to do what's best, but £5.5M (plus a couple of million more in wages) to replace two reserve keepers who've hardly played a match for us seems a bit excessive.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm suggesting a possible cost effective way of filling one or more of the reserve goal-keeper spots. I wonder how much it would take to tempt one of them to stay for another season?

I'm not saying the club should do this - I trust the recruitment team to do what's best, but £5.5M (plus a couple of million more in wages) to replace two reserve keepers who've hardly played a match for us seems a bit excessive.
We don't need to tempt Maenpaa. If we are happy with a non-HGP keeper there are plenty out there.

Brighton Mackem

Mar 12, 2013
South of Sunderland
Joking aside, Brighton should steer clear, saw too many howlers last season and our two other keepers were terrible too but he was the worse. I hope you lot keep thriving in the Premier, please feel free to take six points from the mags.
You lot are not really in a position to take the piss are you? Keep a dignified silence and work to get out of L1. The upward way that is.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
He might be as good as his namesake all those years ago

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Have our recruitment team been infiltrated by Palace clowns? If not I suggest they have earned the right to do as they see fit for the squad. They have done an excellent job so far, why are they suddenly going to recruit liabilities?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Steele will be Maenpaa's replacement and we already know we have a recall clause in Sanchez' loan for January if needed - presumably there will be similar for Walton.

He may be a bit Calamity Casper to Sunderland fans, but the downside seems low - if Roberts can do his stuff.

Last edited:

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I suspect the key to understanding the situation is probably Ben Roberts. His stock must be high having been the one to recommend the signing of Maty Ryan: https://www.brightonandhovealbion.c...-was-our-first-choice-and-has-been-excellent/. He worked with Button at Charlton and is a Middlesborough graduate like Steele. Roberts was given a lot of credit by David Stockdale for the work he did with him and, if he thinks that Steele and Button have the potential to be much better than their recent careers suggest, I would trust him to be the man to do the work necessary to prove himself right.

Thank for your response to my post, and esp. concerning Ben Roberts likely involvement with the situation, which seems logical. My post mainly concerned the sums being quoted for fees for the potential incomings and the adverse comment relating to Steele.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Thank for your response to my post, and esp. concerning Ben Roberts likely involvement with the situation, which seems logical. My post mainly concerned the sums being quoted for fees for the potential incomings and the adverse comment relating to Steele.

I think the key point is we are not releasing Krul. We have no idea when we started discussing a new deal with him but we know the club wants him to stay. He counts as a home grown player and did well for us so we definitely wanted to keep him.

With Maenppa, he is not an HGP and it sounds like he wants to leave, which is fair enough. If we can then get two HGP goalkeepers, it will benefit other areas of the team (and we don't know whether Button is the other choice or was an alternative to Steele and we want another second choice keeper).

As others have said, why not trust the recruitment team? Sunderland fans can comment all they want, and clearly Steele did not have a great season there, but I'd trust our recruitment and coaching team to spot his ability and bring out the best in him over Sunderland's fans/staff given what happened to them over the last couple of seasons. And the money we are talking about for Steele/Button is nothing in the Premier League so, if they do turn out to be rubbish, we could bring a new keeper or recall Walton in January to cover while Ryan is away.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Steele will be Maenpaa's replacement and we already know we have a recall clause in Sanchez' loan for January if needed - presumably there will be similar for Walton.

He may be a bit Calamity Casper to Sunderland fans, but the downside seems low - if Roberts can do his stuff.

My God, when you think how far we have come since Caspar the Clown . . .

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Maenpaa - Championship games - 1
Steele - Championship games - 256

I guess we will never know, but l've a feeling Maenpaa would have made a good career for himself in the English game given a bit more luck. Unfortunately for him he was with us at the wrong time, the keeper(s) he was understudying were all in good form, and with one or two exceptions didn't miss games through injury or suspensions..

Well done him for putting up with being number three choice all last season, not many would have done it. In a strange kind of way l hope he stays in the Football League, and gets the chance to bite us on the bum at some point, but my feeling is he will go abroad, and probably back to his native Finland.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Jason Steele played a blinder for Boro in October 2012 at the Amex.

Rated as a youngster, but lost his way. England U21 before Pickford and Walton. I would have thought he was more likely to come good playing regular games? (like Goldson and Walton)

Alt: David Marshall, older.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Jason Steele played a blinder for Boro in October 2012 at the Amex.

Rated as a youngster, but lost his way. England U21 before Pickford and Walton. I would have thought he was more likely to come good playing regular games? (like Goldson and Walton)

Well said.

At 27 he is still relatively young for a GK, and has time to rediscover his form. If he is third choice, really not a gamble IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I think the key point is we are not releasing Krul. We have no idea when we started discussing a new deal with him but we know the club wants him to stay. He counts as a home grown player and did well for us so we definitely wanted to keep him.

We have no choice to release Krul. He is a free agent. Yes, he's been offered a contract, but like Murray was, he's free to go where he wants.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I have never seen an albion signing so assassinated before he even arrives.

Still, Nixon at the Sun reckons we have singed him on a 3 year deal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here