Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Russia 2018 WC unfounded fears

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
With the build up to the World Cup being in Russia the predictions were not to go as dangerous or at least you will not be made very welcome, we'll happily none of these predictions so far have materialised more than that just watching the Columbia v Japan game just seen a clip from the crowd all smiles beers in hand both sets of fans mingling no trouble, leaves me thinking have we been feed a load of anti Russia propaganda or is the iron fist of Russia keeping the lid on things?

The Russian regime can patently turn hoolies on and off like a tap. In 2016 in Marseille they were let loose on the poor England saps who were forming an unpleasant blot on the posh oligarch holiday home landscape. This time around they've had the official knock on the door to play nice or face an extended holiday in Siberia. Tough choice.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The Russian regime can patently turn hoolies on and off like a tap. In 2016 in Marseille they were let loose on the poor England saps who were forming an unpleasant blot on the posh oligarch holiday home landscape. This time around they've had the official knock on the door to play nice or face an extended holiday in Siberia. Tough choice.

nonsense .

They can control a fair bit with threats etc but they can't just stop everyone having a tear up and loads of Russians if intent on causing trouble will do it.

Its just a large amount of scaremongering from our media really

bhaseeer

Aug 29, 2017
If we get to the Quarters i'm sure a bundle of lads will try and get out there.....

The Russian hoolies are all controlled by their Forest fight / Ultras boss.....and he is controlled by the authorities....it's diffferent out there. They want it to look nice on TV - hence the certain shots they are doing with cameras. If something does kick off - it will only be on twitter.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
So it appears that only regular Joe England fans have gone to Russia, you know the ones who aren't going to get p1ssed-up and sing pathetic songs in the local square about German bombers and not surrendering to the IRA before chucking the furniture about. And funnily enough there are no problems. Strange that.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
So it appears that only regular Joe England fans have gone to Russia, you know the ones who aren't going to get p1ssed-up and sing pathetic songs in the local square about German bombers and not surrendering to the IRA before chucking the furniture about. And funnily enough there are no problems. Strange that.

wait for the Belgium game

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
I was strangely reassured by the Frankie Boyle in Russia programmes. Lots of ordinary human beings, doing typically silly human things.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Think my wife probably would be pretty pissed off if I went on holiday without her for a few weeks, same as I would be if she did without me!
More or less pissed off than going on holiday together?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Was out in Russia last week and can confirm no problems whatsoever. All the locals really embracing the tournament, everything was really cheap - even in the FIFA Fan parks and genuinely was as good as any tournament I've been to.

The only slight downside is the Russians love a process, even if it makes no sense they take their jobs very seriously. To order a beer seems to involve about 5 people and take 20 minutes but once you get your head round it you can plan ahead. Hopefully back for the Semis and Finals

We even crossed the Poland - Russian border by vehicle and had been warned of 4 hour delays, loads of trouble etc.... took just over an hour on the way in, 30 mins on the way back!

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i reckon what has happened is similar to here in 1996, and we should really have known better than to believe the hype for that reason. the general public is embracing the tournament, along with everyone in authority wanting it seen to be successful, friendly event, everyone has conspired against the hoolie element to be quiet.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Seems international hooligans are rarely a threat in their own country.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
An overall tactic of the Putin regime is to point to our press and say how unreliable it is (which makes our reports of him in it seem less viable back home). There was a fair amount of hype prior to the tournament, seem to remember a fair few videos doing the rounds of their chaps (normally shirtless for some reason) either scrapping with each other in preparation or similar.

Our media ate it up and Putin tells his boys to act nice. Result = our press seemingly discredited and another example he can give when he wants to refer to an anti Russian bias.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
An overall tactic of the Putin regime is to point to our press and say how unreliable it is (which makes our reports of him in it seem less viable back home). There was a fair amount of hype prior to the tournament, seem to remember a fair few videos doing the rounds of their chaps (normally shirtless for some reason) either scrapping with each other in preparation or similar.

Our media ate it up and Putin tells his boys to act nice. Result = our press seemingly discredited and another example he can give when he wants to refer to an anti Russian bias.

To be fair, parts of our press are pretty awful.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

let's face it , our press deserve all the shyte they get.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

Who really knows, but I suspect this probably nails it.
Putin has played a blinder and our press and politicians have been perfectly played.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Everywhere in the World there are nice people and Russia in no different.

But the World Cup will change nothing about the Russian State, we need to be pretty careful about getting into some kind of love in. Right now it’s a propaganda dream for Putin

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
PR triumph for Putin that should never have been given the green light in the first place!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I will start my blog soon but I was in Russia for the three group games and it was absolutely fantatstic. Very friendly locals, great welcome, great atmosphere , one big party really!

I visited Moscow, Volgograd, Nizchy Novgorod, St Petersburg and Kaliningrad (and a day in Gdansk on the way home). Sad to be home , but have tickets for the SF and F if England get that far!!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Everywhere in the World there are nice people and Russia in no different.

But the World Cup will change nothing about the Russian State, we need to be pretty careful about getting into some kind of love in. Right now it’s a propaganda dream for Putin

As was the winter Olympics in Sochi.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here