Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR!.... Huhh!.... What Is It Good For?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Say it again.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Really is useless unless it was applied in the same way as rugby. But that is impractical.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The actual VAR equipent is good but it is the operators and refs who are lacking in the expertise to use it correctly.
Agreed, you are spot on. IMO, the authorities still need to get the terms of how it is used right.

I like it and it is slowly getting better. Too many times people are trying to make a VAR controversy where there isn't one, and where it has been used, it has been used well. Everyone is annoyed because it wasn't used to give an England penalty last night. But in 2018 now it is ridiculous with all the technology available that high profile games should be decided by shit "look at me" refereeing decisions.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
My view is that the referee should have VAR as a simple check to a reactive decision.

E.g ''Is there any reason why I should not award a penalty ?'' The decision remains final unless conclusively proved otherwise. The captain of a team, and no-one else, has the right to ask the referee to look again at decisions surrounding goals and goals only.

It's a difficult one. In rugby it's a good thing.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's a difficult one. In rugby it's a good thing.

I watch a lot of rugby and my view is that VAR (or TMO as it's called in rugby) has become a bit of a pain. Play can stop for four or five minutes while an incident is viewed from several angles ... and even then, they don't get it right. I'd like to see measures to restrict its use as it's really slowing down the game.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Should the refs not be thinking more along the lines of that is a possible foul so lets have another look at it.or that was a corner and there is always jiostling in the boix so lets look at iI again just in case.there wasd anything werong.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Should the refs not be thinking more along the lines of that is a possible foul so lets have another look at it.or that was a corner and there is always jiostling in the boix so lets look at iI again just in case.there wasd anything werong.

No, they should not. They should be doing as instructed, ie refereeing the game as normal, making their decisions as normal, and only having their attention brought to an incident if the VAR feels it warrants a review.

I don't want referees having the option of calling for reviews, because they'd be prone to using the technology as a "crutch" to clear up any uncertainties in their own mind. Let them just referee as normal, and any serious errors can be picked up by the VAR. Thats (ideally) how it is supposed to work.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
I watch a lot of rugby and my view is that VAR (or TMO as it's called in rugby) has become a bit of a pain. Play can stop for four or five minutes while an incident is viewed from several angles ... and even then, they don't get it right. I'd like to see measures to restrict its use as it's really slowing down the game.

That's interesting to me because I don't generally watch rugby or pretend to understand the finer points. I did however watch an international not that long ago and had a general feel that VAR (TMO) had become all to encompassing. Game seemed stopped endlessly with communication going back and forth “check this, check that, can you tell me was his foot there or was it here”. The game as a result felt very slow and maybe a little clinical.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
That's interesting to me because I don't generally watch rugby or pretend to understand the finer points. I did however watch an international not that long ago and had a general feel that VAR (TMO) had become all to encompassing. Game seemed stopped endlessly with communication going back and forth “check this, check that, can you tell me was his foot there or was it here”. The game as a result felt very slow and maybe a little clinical.

Rugby has endless stoppages, not only for TMO (which are interesting as you can hear the ref / TMO discussion) but goal kicks, replacements (for some reason it seems to take 5 times as long to make a sub in rugby than in football) and especially re-set scrums. And they don't stop the clock for many of the stoppages. It's really frustrating. For some reason you don't seem to get so many re-set scrums in southern hemisphere rugby. Refs usually give the players a couple of goes at it then award a free-kick or penalty. Works far better

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I did however watch an international not that long ago and had a general feel that VAR (TMO) had become all to encompassing. Game seemed stopped endlessly with communication going back and forth “check this, check that, can you tell me was his foot there or was it here”. The game as a result felt very slow and maybe a little clinical.

Quite a lot of rugby fans would agree. It used to be "is there any reason not to award the try" now it's for every bit of play

for some reason it seems to take 5 times as long to make a sub in rugby than in football

Totally disagree with this: subs are made much quicker than they are in football, there's no comparison in my mind. But you're right about the number of re-set scrums, if you watch old matches, they'd just get down to it. World Rugby is constantly looking to change the laws on scrummaging but they're never going to be perfect.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
No, they should not. They should be doing as instructed, ie refereeing the game as normal, making their decisions as normal, and only having their attention brought to an incident if the VAR feels it warrants a review.

I don't want referees having the option of calling for reviews, because they'd be prone to using the technology as a "crutch" to clear up any uncertainties in their own mind. Let them just referee as normal, and any serious errors can be picked up by the VAR. Thats (ideally) how it is supposed to work.
Problem is they will check every goal from a corner for a foul by the attacking team, which is just not fair when blatant fouls by the defending team are not being caught...they need to sort this out.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I still wouldnt remove VAR. Lets have a big applause for the goal line tech which has ensured goals have been awarded correctly a number of times already this tournament and players are still trying to argue it :tosser:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here