Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by alfredmizen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you not think he should have immunity like the terrorists ?
    Honestly, I don't know. If it were a genuine accident, then it is just more hurt on top of existing hurt, to drag him through this now.

If he was at fault (and there would I'm sure be plenty of mitigation - he was a scared kid himself in all probability) then it is not right to deny the victims family a proper investigation.

In general I don't agree with blanket immunity on either side (but accept it for what it is, for the greater benefit of lasting peace).

Sorry - I know that is a crap non-answer. I don't know enough about it to make any bold statements.
    The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by hans kraay fan club View Post
      Honestly, I don't know. If it were a genuine accident, then it is just more hurt on top of existing hurt, to drag him through this now.

If he was at fault (and there would I'm sure be plenty of mitigation - he was a scared kid himself in all probability) then it is not right to deny the victims family a proper investigation.

In general I don't agree with blanket immunity on either side (but accept it for what it is, for the greater benefit of lasting peace).

Sorry - I know that is a crap non-answer. I don't know enough about it to make any bold statements.
      yes mate , a crap non answer
      I should coco Deportivo Seagull's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      Do you not think he should have immunity like the terrorists ?
      Immunity for both sides or not at all. Pisses me off that squadies are apparently fair game but terrorist from both side of the divide are not! Mind you we shouldn’t be surprised. Governments have been treating the armed Forces like sh*t all the way back to Oliver Cromwell’s time.
      Mind you, a negligent discharge because of cold hands is really poor. What do you reckon he as carrying? As far as I’m aware in those days the only automatic weapons would have been SMG or GPMG?
      If life were a game of cards ... I'd say some ******* was cheating

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Deportivo Seagull View Post
      Immunity for both sides or not at all. Pisses me off that squadies are apparently fair game but terrorist from both side of the divide are not! Mind you we shouldn’t be surprised. Governments have been treating the armed Forces like sh*t all the way back to Oliver Cromwell’s time.
      Mind you, a negligent discharge because of cold hands is really poor. What do you reckon he as carrying? As far as I’m aware in those days the only automatic weapons would have been SMG or GPMG?
      I believe the SLR had a fully automatic option? You're right though to ND because of cold hands is poor, not sure what good bringing this up again will do to anybody.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by studio150 View Post
      Agree, particularly given that the Army dealt with the incident at the time, and the soldier was fined and then discharged. Also the soldier (if I have read the report correctly) was 18 at the time, what will be achieved 30 years on.
      Just a quick Google search revealed this:

"In October 2008, the Police Service of Northern Ireland investigation concluded that Jonathan Holden's gun (GPMG) required 9 lbs of pressure to pull the trigger, and that the soldier's account of the events was highly unlikely. It described the chances of this occurring, combined with hitting McAnespie by accident from 300m, as "so remote as to be virtually disregarded".

Apparently McAnespie had been regularly harassed by soldiers as he crossed the border to get to get to and from work because as a Catholic he was perceived to be a Republican (there is no assertion that he was involved in any terrorist group).

0 Not allowed!
      it was a gpmg and he wasnt even carrying it , he was in a sangar , i reckon he was pissing about bored (as you do ) and either he or the bloke on stag before him had cocked it.

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Seagull85 View Post
      I believe the SLR had a fully automatic option? You're right though to ND because of cold hands is poor, not sure what good bringing this up again will do to anybody.
      The SLR had no fully automatic option , youre thinking of the FN

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by oneillco View Post
      Just a quick Google search revealed this:

"In October 2008, the Police Service of Northern Ireland investigation concluded that Jonathan Holden's gun (GPMG) required 9 lbs of pressure to pull the trigger, and that the soldier's account of the events was highly unlikely. It described the chances of this occurring, combined with hitting McAnespie by accident from 300m, as "so remote as to be virtually disregarded".

Apparently McAnespie had been regularly harassed by soldiers as he crossed the border to get to get to and from work because as a Catholic he was perceived to be a Republican (there is no assertion that he was involved in any terrorist group).
      he was harassed because he mouthed off and gave squaddies shit every time he went through the check point , he was an election worker for sinn fein , he was thougt to be a 'dicker' for pira , the republicans have a very good propaganda machine at painting people as "innocents" when theyre anything but , and people like.you believe it as you devour your latest.an phoblact
      I should coco Deportivo Seagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      it was a gpmg and he wasnt even carrying it , he was in a sangar , i reckon he was pissing about bored (as you do ) and either he or the bloke on stag before him had cocked it.
      It is very easy to be critical after the fact but sighting a weapon on civvy who was 300m away isn’t very bright regardless of whether the weapon is cocked. However If it was deliberate it would have been a much bigger burst than three rounds would it not.
      If life were a game of cards ... I'd say some ******* was cheating

1 Not allowed!
      It is very easy to be critical after the fact but sighting a weapon on civvy who was 300m away isn’t very bright regardless of whether the weapon is cocked. However If it was deliberate it would have been a much bigger burst than three rounds would it not.
      might not , if you tap the trigger lightly on a gpmg you can actually get off a single shot