Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Longing for retirement. AmexRuislip's Avatar

Former Army man to be prosecuted!

9 Not allowed!
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-44532887

A soldier is to be charged with manslaughter by gross negligence over the 1988 killing of a Catholic man at an Army checkpoint.
    Aidan McAnespie, 23, was hit by one of three bullets fired from a machine gun in Aughnacloy, County Tyrone. He was on his way to a Gaelic football match.
    The soldier who fired the shots was initially charged with manslaughter, but the charge was dropped in 1990.

Absolutely ridiculous decision, after all this time, especially as they were out there to do a job.
    How about prosecuting all the terrorists, who accidentally let off bombs in NI

• North Stand Chat

advertising

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by AmexRuislip View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

A soldier is to be charged with manslaughter by gross negligence over the 1988 killing of a Catholic man at an Army checkpoint.
      Aidan McAnespie, 23, was hit by one of three bullets fired from a machine gun in Aughnacloy, County Tyrone. He was on his way to a Gaelic football match.
      The soldier who fired the shots was initially charged with manslaughter, but the charge was dropped in 1990.

Absolutely ridiculous decision, after all this time, especially as they were out there to do a job.
      Agree, particularly given that the Army dealt with the incident at the time, and the soldier was fined and then discharged. Also the soldier (if I have read the report correctly) was 18 at the time, what will be achieved 30 years on.
      Joint winner NSC Predictor League 2017/18
      The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by studio150 View Post
      Agree, particularly given that the Army dealt with the incident at the time, and the soldier was fined and then discharged. Also the soldier (if I have read the report correctly) was 18 at the time, what will be achieved 30 years on.
      Yes - he'd have been just 18 (it was 1988 and the report states he is 48 now). 'The army dealt with it at the time' is not enough for some - perhaps understandably? If they didn't trust the British forces actions, they were hardly going to accept an internal investigation into them.

People are really quick to pass judgement on cases like this - I wouldn't have a clue what to think. From the report, the soldier accidentally fired three shots from his machine gun ('because his fingers were wet'), and one of those shots ricocheted into the victim?

How easy is it to accidentally fire this gun? I guess that's important.
      The ricochet element presumably explains why the charge is manslaughter rather than murder - that his actions or negligence resulted in the man's death, but not deliberately so.

Sad story for all concerned.
      Last edited by hans kraay fan club; 19-06-2018 at 15:16.
      The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.
      Two Mad Professors Two Professors's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Let's hope he gets a fair hearing,as feelings still run very high over there!

Name:  ira.png
Views: 711
Size:  266.8 KB
      In Chris We Trust.

1 Not allowed!

Where does the man's religion play into this?

If he had been a Scientologist who gave most of his money to a "church" in California and been shot and killed would there have been any outrage at all? His religion actually played no part in the killing except he was suspected of terrorism for being from a certain religious sect.
      Dwell on your strengths not your weaknesses.

Maty Ryan: ‘The height factor is something I copped as a kid and into my career,’ he said, ‘but I can tell you, if I have played some bad games over the years, none has ever been because I was too small.’
      Harry Wilson's Tackle Harry Wilson's tackle's Avatar

1 Not allowed!

Absurd. Agree.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Q93v7hGZA

Premier League : Brighton, le club le plus cool d'Angleterre
      Everything Must Change Beach Hut's Avatar

12 Not allowed!
      Why can't he be given immunity like all the other terrorists were who deliberately murdered people ?
      I surrender all control
      To the desire that consumes me whole
      Leads me by the hand to infinity
      Lies in wait at the heart of me - the Albion of course !

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Beach Hut View Post
      Why can't he be given immunity like all the other terrorists were who deliberately murdered people ?
      This , all that needs to be said

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by hans kraay fan club View Post
      Yes - he'd have been just 18 (it was 1988 and the report states he is 48 now). 'The army dealt with it at the time' is not enough for some - perhaps understandably? If they didn't trust the British forces actions, they were hardly going to accept an internal investigation into them.

People are really quick to pass judgement on cases like this - I wouldn't have a clue what to think. From the report, the soldier accidentally fired three shots from his machine gun ('because his fingers were wet'), and one of those shots ricocheted into the victim?

How easy is it to accidentally fire this gun? I guess that's important.
      The ricochet element presumably explains why the charge is manslaughter rather than murder - that his actions or negligence resulted in the man's death, but not deliberately so.

Sad story for all concerned.
      Do you not think he should have immunity like the terrorists ?

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by alfredmizen View Post
      Do you not think he should have immunity like the terrorists ?
      Both sides should have had immunity as part of the peace agreement.
      If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice......