Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Spitfire: The Movie

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Thoroughly enjoyed this as a read, contains many actual entries into the flight logbooks and first hand accounts of the engagements as well as setting out the entire battle period.

51As7kuUq%2BL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Yep, got that one in my collection! Very good author.

Also, you may have heard of an BoB Ace called Stanford Tuck? I’ve got a pair of cufflinks made from a Spitfire engine from one he crash landed after being shot down! He survived the war thankfully, one of the Few’s most decorated pilots. Got his biography too. I can never quite get my head around how young and yet how incredibly ‘adult’ they were. When you think back to when you were that age, or look at today’s kids no wonder they call them the Greatest generation. Hard to argue with (though someone on here will no doubt try!)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No. I am certain that the pilots will mention other craft, as will the wider film. Which is rather my point.
You didn't even make that point. The opening post made a claim about the Spitfire being unrivalled, I disputed it, and you could have said 'sure, it's just marketing, I expect other aircraft will get credit in the film' etc, but instead you chose to take the piss and act like I was calling them feckless amateurs

We have to see the film before people can start flying off the handle that they haven't given other planes enough credit.
I haven't flown off the handle, I said a claim wasn't true, that's all.

And yes, someone did address your point a few pages back, have a look yersen.
I've looked, they haven't. Your suggestion that someone "with far more knowledge on the subject than you or I already comprehensively countered your argument" is completely false. I've asked you which post that was, and you can't even say.

Where have I stated anything about Spitfire being the be all and end all?
Where you argued against my comment and claimed that someone comprehensively countered my argument :facepalm:

I posted a link to a film about spitfires. As per, [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] does his Know-It-All act and totally neglects the fact I haven't offered an argument either way.
I made a comment and as per, you argue about it, on the one hand saying someone has comprehensively countered my argument, and on the other saying you don't even disagree with me :wozza:

I did find his claim that playing video games has given him superior knowledge though
I didn't make that claim. Try reading again, a bit slower. That was an example of how much I like the Spitfire, not the source of my knowledge.

I am not riled in the slightest. His argument hasn't riled me, he is likely correct. It's the use of phrases like "You're talking such crap" that annoy me.
That was after you tried to take the piss about me daring to question veterans and experts, after you incorrectly claimed someone proved me wrong, and after you sarcastically said I must know more about the experts and veterans because I'd played a video game. So yes, you were talking crap.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You didn't even make that point. The opening post made a claim about the Spitfire being unrivalled, I disputed it, and you could have said 'sure, it's just marketing, I expect other aircraft will get credit in the film' etc, but instead you chose to take the piss and act like I was calling them feckless amateurs

I haven't flown off the handle, I said a claim wasn't true, that's all.

I've looked, they haven't. Your suggestion that someone "with far more knowledge on the subject than you or I already comprehensively countered your argument" is completely false. I've asked you which post that was, and you can't even say.

Where you argued against my comment and claimed that someone comprehensively countered my argument :facepalm:

I made a comment and as per, you argue about it, on the one hand saying someone has comprehensively countered my argument, and on the other saying you don't even disagree with me :wozza:

I didn't make that claim. Try reading again, a bit slower. That was an example of how much I like the Spitfire, not the source of my knowledge.

That was after you tried to take the piss about me daring to question veterans and experts, after you incorrectly claimed someone proved me wrong, and after you sarcastically said I must know more about the experts and veterans because I'd played a video game. So yes, you were talking crap.

Thanks for the comprehensive breakdown but you really shouldn't have bothered. When I see these PPP like posts of yours I rarely read them.

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
I am well and truly fed up with all this hyperbolic praise of the Spitfire, whilst the poor much maligned Hawker Hurricane barely gets a mention.

Yes l freely acknowledge that the Spit was the superior aircraft in almost every way, faster, more manoeverable, more gunpower etc. etc. But the simple fact remains that the Hurricane shot down far more enemy aircraft in the Battle of Britain than the Spitfire ever did. It goes without saying that had we lost the Battle of Britain, then we would have lost the war, and for that reason, at the very least, the humble Hurricane should take it's rightful place at the top table.

That could be because the RAF had more Hurricanes than Spitfires!

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
No, the post read "archive footage from the tumultuous days of the 1940s when her power in the skies was unrivalled."

As above, no, it isn't.

The 1940 Spitfire would cut out with negative g-force, due to it's carburettor, while the bf-109E was fuel injected and had no such trouble. The Spit could turn sharper, but the Emil (the 109E) had a better roll rate and was good in vertical fights. Not sure there was a lot between them.

It is true that the BF109E was pretty much a match for the Spitfire during the Battle of Britain and any claim that the Spitfire was superior is patently preposterous to anyone with a modicum of knowledge of the history of Battle of Britain . Many other factors came in to play the tactics used, radar, the observer corps, how each fighter group deployed their squadrons and how fighter controllers directed those fighters once in the air. However, at the end of the day it came down to the pilots and how they flew and fought their planes. Some were skilled and became aces others not so - the lucky ones survived the unlucky ones paid the ultimate price. At the end of the day the Battle of Britain was a pretty close run thing. If you want to know more I can recommend two books by Leo Mckinstry Spitfire - Portrait of a legend and Hurricane - Victor of the Battle of Britain.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It is true that the BF109E was pretty much a match for the Spitfire during the Battle of Britain and any claim that the Spitfire was superior is patently preposterous to anyone with a modicum of knowledge of the history of Battle of Britain . Many other factors came in to play the tactics used, radar, the observer corps, how each fighter group deployed their squadrons and how fighter controllers directed those fighters once in the air. However, at the end of the day it came down to the pilots and how they flew and fought their planes. Some were skilled and became aces others not so - the lucky ones survived the unlucky ones paid the ultimate price.
Indeed. Loads of fantastic warbirds on all sides throughout the war.

At the end of the day the Battle of Britain was a pretty close run thing.
I don't think Germany were anywhere near gaining the control they needed to invade Britain.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Good fall back position when you've been wrong on everything you've said.

I wasn't wrong because I took no position on the matter. I think you have just got yourself upset because i sniggered at you and you take yourself VERY seriously on here. Anyway, boring.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here