Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR does not work for England

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
People are so one-eyed on this stuff.

Tunisia penalty - Walker is careless and his swinging arm catches him in the face. It’s a penalty all day long.

The first half Kane one, he IS fouled, but there is an earlier MASSIVE push by Stones (they missed both of course)

The second half Kane one, watch it again - Kane grabs the guy’s arm, and pulls him onto him.

Nearly as one eyed as an Argentina shirted kilt wearing Sweatie sock?!

Another huge chip on shouldered bitter exile?!

Be honest, you must be Scottish?

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014

You couldn’t be more wrong. Sat with my kids in my lounge now, walls decked with World Cup bunting, England flags and a poster of Harry Kane.

Enjoyed the game with a few beers, and just as happy as every other knobhead that we got three points on the board. Doesn’t mean I can’t look at a few decisions objectively :shrug:

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
You couldn’t be more wrong. Sat with my kids in my lounge now, walls decked with World Cup bunting, England flags and a poster of Harry Kane.

Enjoyed the game with a few beers, and just as happy as every other knobhead that we got three points on the board. Doesn’t mean I can’t look at a few decisions objectively :shrug:

Yeah trouble is you are wrong

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If Walker's mistake was a penalty incident then the first 'tackle' on Kane was a penalty. The second incident was a bit more manufactured by Kane, but no different to Tunisian one nor say Ronaldo's or some of Murray's.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Sweaty all day long - nowhere near following England.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Enjoyed the game with a few beers
More than a few.

I can see an argument for the penalty against us - it's not the worst decision in the world, but it was soft IMO. Certainly not a stone wall penalty.
In one of the rugby tackles on Kane, I saw at the time that he held the defenders shirt, but that was after the defender was all over him. Remember what we're used to seeing from Kane over the last few seasons - he's a goal machine - he wants to get away from the defender, and have a chance at shooting, he wouldn't hold their shirt like that if he wasn't trying to get them off him.
And the other one, where there's a separate gentle push, I've covered. It's a clear penalty.

You might be trying to be fair and objective, but you've got it wrong this time.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Your first point though - it could have been given as a foul for the forward smacking his head against poor Walker’s arm? Have a day off FFS

Oh do behave.

Youssef went down like a sack of SHIT rolling around clutching his face. But you might have noticed that within 2 seconds flat of seeing the ref pointing to the spot, his hands went straight from his face into a couple of clenched fists in celebration as he sat there on his arse, the cheating little weasel. Job done, he conned a pen.

We got the square root of fvck-all from the officials tonight, but found a way to win despite it. VARS was a joke. All credit to England. The Tunisian snides can go fvck themselves, they got exactly what they deserved tonight (except an utter beasting). I hope they're on the next plane home, bunch of wankers.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
What a great performance, psychologically.

I'd imagine it was just as frustrating to play as to watch.

Kept chipping away and never gave up. In that respect reminded me of Man United under Ferguson and if anyone can remember Leeds when they were in League One.

Just imagine there is 30 mins left and you will be fine.

Southgate has got their heads right if nothing else at all. His man management appears spot on. Note that encouraging hug for Sterling as he was subbed ?

There was a nice little bit about Southgate in the BBC Two doc about England Managers (repeated tonight) and their relationship with the press.

Henry Winter observed that quite uniquely for Southgate the press could throw anything at him since (to him) that penalty miss was the worst thing that ever happened to him and any other criticism is simply water off a ducks back.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
VAR has been awful at sorting out the cheating at dead-ball situations. Denmark could have had two or three pens, England two tonight...but you can bet that someone will have a goal chalked off for an innocuous aerial ‘coming together” soon (and cynic that I am, my bet is that it’s a European side that suffers...just saying like...).

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
More than a few.

I can see an argument for the penalty against us - it's not the worst decision in the world, but it was soft IMO. Certainly not a stone wall penalty.
In one of the rugby tackles on Kane, I saw at the time that he held the defenders shirt, but that was after the defender was all over him. Remember what we're used to seeing from Kane over the last few seasons - he's a goal machine - he wants to get away from the defender, and have a chance at shooting, he wouldn't hold their shirt like that if he wasn't trying to get them off him.
And the other one, where there's a separate gentle push, I've covered. It's a clear penalty.

You might be trying to be fair and objective, but you've got it wrong this time.

Oh do behave.

Youssef went down like a sack of SHIT rolling around clutching his face. But you might have noticed that within 2 seconds flat of seeing the ref pointing to the spot, his hands went straight from his face into a couple of clenched fists in celebration as he sat there on his arse, the cheating little weasel. Job done, he conned a pen.

We got the square root of fvck-all from the officials tonight, but found a way to win despite it. VARS was a joke. All credit to England. The Tunisian snides can go fvck themselves, they got exactly what they deserved tonight (except an utter beasting). I hope they're on the next plane home, bunch of wankers.

Read what I wrote. I’m not actually disagreeing with anything you say. Of course they were snides, and of course they deserved to lose.

The guy celebrating ‘winning’ the pen is a dick. I hate seeing that. It doesn’t change the fact that Walker has clumped him. Walker himself said as much in his post-match interview.

The next one, I’ve said from my very first post that it was a clear foul on Kane, worthy of a penalty. Just that Stones push is even more obvious, and that if they do go over the video, they’d just as likely give that decision.

The last one, the guy does have his arm over Kane’s shoulder to stop him jumping. That in itself could be a foul, but Harry wants to make certain, so he grabs the arm, and pulls the guy onto him. That’s not opinion - it’s there on video to see :shrug:

No idea why any of these points are being described as ‘negative’. Attempting to understand a couple of refereeing decisions is nothing to do with wanting to see England win, and being delighted that we did.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Should have been 3 penalties.

Only 1 was given.

VAR is still not fit for purpose.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Silly drunk child.

Does silly child not apply to you then? Or is having a bit of attention through posting gibberish now considered a grown up activity?

In terms of the game and the incompetence around refereeing and VAR it worked out perfectly. Could and should have been 4 or 5 nil and we'd have had the mass hysteria and the team character would not have developed as it has. The means of this victory and the obstacles we had to overcome will have benefited the team immensely. A measured and controlled confidence into the remaining group games and beyond with growing trust and belief will hopefully follow.

It's not just the opposition team that we have to overcome and we should know that now.

I'm struggling to think of other teams that have suffered with poor decisions to the extent that we have in major tournaments. That is not the sole reason that we have failed continuously but it has certainly contributed.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Read what I wrote. I’m not actually disagreeing with anything you say. Of course they were snides, and of course they deserved to lose.

The guy celebrating ‘winning’ the pen is a dick. I hate seeing that. It doesn’t change the fact that Walker has clumped him. Walker himself said as much in his post-match interview.

The next one, I’ve said from my very first post that it was a clear foul on Kane, worthy of a penalty. Just that Stones push is even more obvious, and that if they do go over the video, they’d just as likely give that decision.

The last one, the guy does have his arm over Kane’s shoulder to stop him jumping. That in itself could be a foul, but Harry wants to make certain, so he grabs the arm, and pulls the guy onto him. That’s not opinion - it’s there on video to see :shrug:

No idea why any of these points are being described as ‘negative’. Attempting to understand a couple of refereeing decisions is nothing to do with wanting to see England win, and being delighted that we did.

I think that perhaps there is an element of ‘the umpire’s decision’ here. What is your view on these two questions?

If the Ref had blown up and pointed to the spot for either of our penalty shouts, would VAR have overturned the decisions and would he even been asked to look at the evidence?

If the Ref hadn’t blown up for the player running into Walker’s arm, would VAR have caused him to review the incident in his viewing booth?

Essentially, there were three reasonable penalty shouts, they got one from one and we got nothing from two.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I can only imagine that the ref (being one of those smiley arrogant types that I hate) has ignored the VAR officials - Surely, I mean surely ANYONE would agree that it's worth a review, even if you come to the conclusion that for whatever reason they weren't 2 stonewall penalties.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I think that perhaps there is an element of ‘the umpire’s decision’ here. What is your view on these two questions?

If the Ref had blown up and pointed to the spot for either of our penalty shouts, would VAR have overturned the decisions and would he even been asked to look at the evidence?

If the Ref hadn’t blown up for the player running into Walker’s arm, would VAR have caused him to review the incident in his viewing booth?

Essentially, there were three reasonable penalty shouts, they got one from one and we got nothing from two.

There’s nearly always that element I agree.

The two England ones, I think you’re right - if the ref had given them, they’d almost certainly have stood. Their’s I think would have been given on review - there was simply no need for his arm to be up there, and asking for trouble.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here