Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] WC: Tunisia v England

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Sterling will be effective in games where we can break into space (against better teams who come at us) but this was totally the wrong game for him

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sterling will be effective in games where we can break into space (against better teams who come at us) but this was totally the wrong game for him

Loftus-cheek and Rashford both looked more effective in their 20mins than Stirling had in the previous 70mins. It's a world cup, you need players who can adapt, read the game situation, know what is required and not have a 'wrong' game.

Stirling went into slow the game down mode when it was obvious we needed our front players to penetrate and speed things up. Exactly what the 2 substitutes did as soon as they came on.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Considering we were playing the twelve men on the pitch and however many were operating the VAR system by our, admittedly low, standards that was a fantastic performance by England. We were easily the better side, created loads of chances and played with skill and verve. Anybody who disagrees either hasn't seen England in a tournament before or has a VERY short memory. It was nice to beat a nation who are about at our level.

boik

You are joking aren't you? We were playing Tunisia not Brazil! First half deserved to be a couple up and, we should be. Second half poor but got what we deserved in the end. Lingard �� Southgate 'win you over' �� Easily pleased or what!

You do realise that Tunisia are 1 place behind us in the world ranking, recently came back from 2-0 against Portugal and held Spain until the 84th minute. I think your views on Tunisia are a bit outdated. They are the best team in Africa at the moment.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Wilshere should definitely have been in the squad. He's the only Englishman who can do what he can do. Put Dele Ali and Wilshere in the Spain team and it'll be Wilshere who looks most comfortable. Dele Ali clearly isn't technically as gifted as Wilshere. Wilshere hasn't been selected because of his fitness and lack of 1st team football. Not because of his ability

That worked well at the Euros didn’t it?

Wilshere was truly outstanding against Iceland....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Considering we were playing the twelve men on the pitch and however many were operating the VAR system by our, admittedly low, standards that was a fantastic performance by England. We were easily the better side, created loads of chances and played with skill and verve. Anybody who disagrees either hasn't seen England in a tournament before or has a VERY short memory. It was nice to beat a nation who are about at our level.

Agreed. Best performance in a tournament for years and years.

The referee really was horrendous. Never had control of the game. Tunisia took the piss.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You do realise that Tunisia are 1 place behind us in the world ranking, recently came back from 2-0 against Portugal and held Spain until the 84th minute. I think your views on Tunisia are a bit outdated. They are the best team in Africa at the moment.

That all said, they did look a bit shit with the ball.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

....so the complete inability to make the right decision at the right time, appalling first touch and unawareness of those around him ,will suddenly correct itself when he has more space. I agree that it was totally the wrong game for him. He shouldn't be anywhere near an England shirt, ever. He is an overrated liability. An overpaid headless chicken, with zero footballing nous. Granted he has a bit of pace but that just means he runs into people that much quicker. Last night, I cringed with embarrassment every time he went near the ball and promptly lost it.

el punal

The referee really was horrendous. Never had control of the game. Tunisia took the piss.

Summed up towards the end of the game. England were awarded a free kick near the touch line. Tunisia player stood no more than three yards from the ball. The England players protested, repeatedly, and the ref did sweet FA.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
One word to sum up England last night and something that I'd never see again after Iceland - resilient.

All previous sides would have felt sorry for themselves and run out of ideas - 1-1. Blame the referee (just like Maradona, Beckham, Ronaldo, Rob Green etc).

Not us last night and with that belief who knows what we can achieve?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Very good for ManC and knowledgeble Guardiola chooses him every time. But for England, he makes the wrong final decision every single time, including too uptight in his finishing. Shouldn't be starting the difficult games.

What, Tunisia was a difficult game? They were very ordinary and should have been beaten by 3 or 4. Wait until we play Belgium.
His pace means he fits into the City style. The world class players that surround him means that he can feed off all the four yard tap ins that their brilliant approach play creates. He is carried through games by the work of others and the amount of mistakes he makes are largely forgotten as they sweep nearly everybody aside. He is under far less pressure at club level. He cannot cope with the scrutiny at international level. He is exposed for what he is. A luxury player, who can run at people but lacks the quality to create and finish.
He gets games for England because we literally have no one else to play that role. He is there by default.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Part of the problem of this whole expectation is fans. I don't know what people were expecting. I thought it was a good performance, battled to come back and win. Perfect start to a world cup which is more than a lot of higher ranked countries can say, in terms of result and performance.

Did not like Walker in a back 3. Lack of experience gave away the penalty and think he is an asset going forwards. Something to look at.

Although Lingard got some criticism you gotta be in a position to get those chances, so hopefully he starts putting them away as I thought he was good. Really impressed with the subs as it changed the game. Loved Maguire having the bollocks to head the ball towards Kane to tap in, heart in mouth moment as to where the ball was going to end up !

Sterling was disappointing, didn't seem to want to take players on.

el punal

Kane maybe but Rashford is still fairly green and Lingard is overrated and did not have a good game. I think we have have better squads over the years than this squad.

You’re probably right. The difference is that this group of players played, initially, with flair and confidence and finished with a spirit of never giving up. Obviously they’re not the finished article by any stretch of the imagination. What is pleasing is that this is a team that does not have the weight of expectation on them and therefore are allowed to play without the caution that has inhibited so many England squads in previous years.

How far will they go? Who knows? I would like to think they will improve with experience as the tournament progresses, but just have this feeling that they might be taken apart by one of the “big boys” - I hope not.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
:lolol:

He always reminds me of Neil out of The Inbetweeners.

He always reminds me of Odo out of Star Trek.

d344062ad7aba71a4fd8eab6d2cc98ca.jpg

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What, Tunisia was a difficult game? They were very ordinary and should have been beaten by 3 or 4. Wait until we play Belgium.
His pace means he fits into the City style. The world class players that surround him means that he can feed off all the four yard tap ins that their brilliant approach play creates. He is carried through games by the work of others and the amount of mistakes he makes are largely forgotten as they sweep nearly everybody aside. He is under far less pressure at club level. He cannot cope with the scrutiny at international level. He is exposed for what he is. A luxury player, who can run at people but lacks the quality to create and finish.
He gets games for England because we literally have no one else to play that role. He is there by default.

Lacks the quality to create?! Err he set up eleven goals and scored eighteen this season. **** me, England fans expectations really are ****ing ridiculous.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Yeah, keep telling yourself you know more than Pep Guardiola and Gareth Southgate. :facepalm:

boik

That all said, they did look a bit shit with the ball.

I think once they were gifted the goal they couldn't believe their luck and reverted to stopping us playing. Graeme Souness once said that he could take 12 strangers off the street and coach them to stop any team in the world playing. It's an easy thing to do and a hard thing to beark down c.f. Iceland v Argentina.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003

Sush. They're nothing but waiters and taxi-drivers playing for a country that sounds like a brand of tinned fish. We're England. We invented the game and we won the War. We should 'of' smashed them out of sight.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
One thing I couldn't quite work out last night is whether Tunisia did a job on Henderson or the guy wasn't trying too hard to create space for himself. He seemed to coast through the game a bit.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here