Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] WC: Tunisia v England

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Amidst all of the arguments about VAR decisions and the usual baiting of Sterling, has anyone else picked up my concerns about the back three? Tunisia were not very challenging going forward, but there were still a couple of moments of confusion and panic. The pundits before kick off were stating that Southgate had moved away from forcing name players into the side, but Kyle Walker at centre half worries me. He is not a centre half and has relatively little experience of playing there. This wouldn't be so much of a problem if he was paired with a couple of defensively reliable partners, but he isn't. Maguire looks fine, but Stones is in the side more for his ball use going forward than for his dominance at the back. We got away with it last night, and will be likely to against poorer sides, but it will be interesting to see what he does against Belgium, the first side that will be likely to test our defensive resiliance. I hope that he changes it up and brings in either a more traditional centre back for Stones or Walker, or thinks about bringing in Dier who, I think, gives more of a screen than Henderson does.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Just drop Ashley Young for Danny Rose instead :)

That would be the only change I'd make too - certainly in a game where we will again have the lions share of possession.

If we are to progress deep into the tournament we need Sterling to play well, and replicate his Manchester City performances.

Leaving him out would IMO be a mistake, he needs a goal to raise his confidence.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I thought Ashley Young might be too experienced to give away stupid fouls but the evidence from last night suggests not. Twice he barged into the back of their full back right down their end giving them the chance to get out of danger.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Amidst all of the arguments about VAR decisions and the usual baiting of Sterling, has anyone else picked up my concerns about the back three? Tunisia were not very challenging going forward, but there were still a couple of moments of confusion and panic. The pundits before kick off were stating that Southgate had moved away from forcing name players into the side, but Kyle Walker at centre half worries me. He is not a centre half and has relatively little experience of playing there. This wouldn't be so much of a problem if he was paired with a couple of defensively reliable partners, but he isn't. Maguire looks fine, but Stones is in the side more for his ball use going forward than for his dominance at the back. We got away with it last night, and will be likely to against poorer sides, but it will be interesting to see what he does against Belgium, the first side that will be likely to test our defensive resiliance. I hope that he changes it up and brings in either a more traditional centre back for Stones or Walker, or thinks about bringing in Dier who, I think, gives more of a screen than Henderson does.

I did too. It was the biggest negative of the night for me and is why getting the win was so important. The back three looked nervous and panicky to me. They didn't look comfortable under the high press in the first half and even when they weren't being pressed in the first half there were a number of really sloppy passes that were five yards off where they were supposed to go. Positionally they looked suspect too.

I agree about Walker but I suspect he's in the back three as much for his pace as his 'ability on the ball'(which is one reason why I'd start Rose from here on in- Maguire showed a Murray-esque lack of pace yesterday, get Rose in there to offer him some speedy help down that left side). I'd rather see him as wing back but that's unlikely to happen, not least because Trippier had a decent game there. What was more positive was seeing them all at various times in the second half bring the ball out of defence and join the attack. Admittedly Tunisia not leaving their half helped but you could see part of Southgates thinking having three players willing and able to carry the ball forwards.

What they need is time playing together so they can get a better understanding of their roles individually and collectively. It's why the win was so important. We should have enough to beat Panama which barring Tunisia beating Belgium(which seems pretty unlikely) will see us through to the knockout stages. That gives the defence another 90 minutes together and then what would be that rarest of luxuries - a competitive match where the result isn't particularly important. They can go into the Belgium game under no pressure but with the chance to test themselves out against one of the best teams in the world in a competitive fixture. I'm pretty sure Belgium will cause us a whole lot of problems defensively but it's a great opportunity to learn from them so that when we go into the knockout phase we'd have had some time to iron out those kinks.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I thought Ashley Young might be too experienced to give away stupid fouls but the evidence from last night suggests not. Twice he barged into the back of their full back right down their end giving them the chance to get out of danger.

Destroying any momentum we were trying to build. Naive for a veteran and one time expert on the art of diving himself.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Of all the moments in the game, funnily enough the second time he did it was the angriest I felt. It was a brain dead moment.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Can I just highlight that Kane scored from two corners, in and around that 6 yard box were all good finishes should be. Unlike in the euros when Roy the Boy had Kane taking the ****ing things.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Can I just highlight that Kane scored from two corners, in and around that 6 yard box were all good finishes should be. Unlike in the euros when Roy the Boy had Kane taking the ****ing things.

Hodgson, like McLaren and Keegan, was completely out of his depth. Keegan had the guts to resign, admitting just that. As for the other two.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The game is all about opinions. I don't rate the guy. His game goes to pieces at international level, when there is more pressure on him. He is lucky at the moment as he has very little competition for that kind of role.

This.

We don't operate a North Korean system of only a single compliant view is allowed.

You're more than entitiled to that opinion, it's what NSC is all about. I'm just pointing out that the opinion of the guy who's just won the Premier League by racking up 100 points, 106 goals and losing twice was a bit different. Guardiola rates him - if he was a terrible footballer he wouldn't play for them. And, as you point out, he suits Southgate's system which looked pretty decent at times last night.

Sterling didn't look decent at all last night, I'm not defending his performance, but he brings pace to a shape that needs it and a pedigree and confidence born of that amazing season with Man City.

I also don't like the witch hunt on him. The tabloids won't leave him alone. One of my friends - a Liverpool "fan" funnily enough - spent more time attacking Sterling on Facebook than celebrating a 2-1 win. I just find that odd.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
The attacks that Sterling is getting from the media and fans is pathetic - it almost seems like people want him to fail so they can say I told you so.

There's also more generally a lot of negatively despite a good performance. Depressing.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The attacks that Sterling is getting from the media and fans is pathetic - it almost seems like people want him to fail so they can say I told you so.

There's also more generally a lot of negatively despite a good performance. Depressing.

Yes , have you noticed its mostly from the plastic variety of football fan. Or the office football expert , whose interest is normally only evident during the euros and world cup.

Get behind the team FFS.

People intent on moaning today, almost wanting failure.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
One of my friends - a Liverpool "fan" funnily enough - spent more time attacking Sterling on Facebook than celebrating a 2-1 win. I just find that odd.

I love baiting him, he's SUCH a classic plastic. Usually retorts with some old shite like "well we stuffed your lot 5-1" or something, as if thats some kind of great achievement he can bask in.

:rolleyes:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here