Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] WC: Tunisia v England

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
England looked good. It’s hard to judge too much when the opposition only turns up to defend, timewaste, foul, feign injury and spoil the game. But the signs are England have got a decent system and some very talented players. We’ll find out more about the big teams when they start to engage in proper matches in which two teams want to take part (see also Argentina who faced a similar issue with Iceland). I very much doubt we’ll win it (although you don’t have to be the best team to win a knockout competition) but on the evidence of the first round of matches it is perhaps only Spain that I would say for sure look a cut above us.

This [emoji106].

I’d rather be where we are now than Germany or Brazil. Yes, either of those could put us out in the Quarters but we’ve started with a solid 3 points playing against 11 defenders and the ref.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Surely that ref and the VAR officials shouldn't get another game at the World Cup.

Maybe, just maybe, we're being a little harsh on the ref for the first rugby tackle appeal?

Look at this at 42 seconds onwards - as the ball comes in there's a huge push by Stones on their No17. Maybe the VAR team said 'yes, foul on Kane, but foul by Stones first'? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44528980

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Very good for ManC and knowledgeble Guardiola chooses him every time. But for England, he makes the wrong final decision every single time, including too uptight in his finishing. Shouldn't be starting the difficult games.

Plays wide for City but Southgate plays a different formation and so tries to fit Sterling in by playing him central. He's great out wide but very poor in the middle.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Just back from watching the game in Tennants in Glasgow.. Loads of local 'Tunisians' giving it verbal but the ten or so England supporters made it a very loud finale....truly superb.

With a half decent unbiased ref it would have been over by half time and I would have been £50 better off. But never mind stout yeoman!

That was the best England display that I can remember...passion,pace, skill, movement and generally a smashing all round performance.....

Well done from 'Escocia with Love'!

TNBA

TTF

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just back from watching the game in Tennants in Glasgow.. Loads of local 'Tunisians' giving it verbal but the ten or so England supporters made it a very loud finale....truly superb.

With a half decent unbiased ref it would have been over by half time and I would have been £50 better off. But never mind stout yeoman!

That was the best England display that I can remember...passion,pace, skill, movement and generally a smashing all round performance.....

TNBA

TTF

The best in a tournament for a very long time. We could have been many goals up after 30 minutes, with chances that should've been buried.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
See the referee is now listed as Tunisian and a WWE fan.Apologies if someone else has posted this,but it made I ROFL

wilma.png

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
1st half was goods, 2nd half not so good. Sterling looks very ineffective when he plays down the flanks which showed today. I have been impressed with him when he's playing through the middle. He at times looks very Hazardesque running through the middle. He needs to do it more.

I hope for the next match that we play Rashford right wing, Sterling in front of the 2 midfielders, loftus-Cheek starting at right back and Vardy instead of Lingaard. One thing is definitely for sure about the England selection, Dunk is a class above Maguire.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Thought he bringing on of Rashford and Loftus-Cheek definitely made the difference there!
We looked much more threatening with them on the park, and dare I say more forward looking, rather than this backwards or sideways passing that proceeded their introduction to the game :)

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
Henderson played well, if ignoring Keown being on his case in commentary.

Agree, to give Dier and Rose a go, with Rashford over Sterling. Match experience too.

Henderson needs to be pointed in the right direction, plays facing his own goal far too much.

Anybody over Sterling. Except Young of course, he's utter sh!te. Two different wide men needed next time.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Henderson needs to be pointed in the right direction, plays facing his own goal far too much.

Anybody over Sterling. Except Young of course, he's utter sh!te. Two different wide men needed next time.

Henderson is the International version of Dean Hammond. Very predictable and slows the tempo of the team down with negative passing. Henderson playing as the midfield playmaker epitomises how weak England are at the moment.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

TNBA

TTF

Ruuuuuuule Brittania - fantastic first half - average second - but name me one Tunisia chance. ****ing get in!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Thought we did really well, great start and numerous chances to put the game to bed but we carried on and found the goal we needed.

Sterling still seems a doubt to me and referee had a shocker but a vital win and play like that and we should beat Panama.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I enjoyed that far more than watching England in previous tournaments and loved it when that deserved winner went in.

This is a different and much better squad and the nature of that winner will give us massive confidence. I fully expect us to trounce Panama, beat Belgium and go a long way in this tournament.

Kane, Lingard, Rashford and RLC are technically better than players we’ve used previously but also have much more confidence in themselves at this level and are not afraid like the previous generations.

I hope we start with that front four as I really believe they could do some damage.

I didn’t want Southgate to get the job at the time but he’s won me over. He believes in this squad and vice versa - it’s really showing - we would not have won that game under the last few managers.

I believe!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here