Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Neymar

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
So many top players have started poorly. Four goals in three games today with the teams in action doesn't bode well for the rest of the tournament. I'd love to be proved wrong and this will be a great World Cup, sadly not IMO. It might make Italia '90 look breathtaking.

That's odd I think its been great as the whipping boys are no longer. Much better organised and all have quality no easy pushovers. You should be working for ITV/BBC who gush at the big teams and choke when praising a lessor nation.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Er, yeah...along with the majority in the footballing world...

Really!?

And there's me thinking he never played for a European football club during an era where there was minimal football tv coverage in South America. Surely the majority of the footballing world have never seen him play?

What makes you think he's the greatest player ever apart from football stats? From the very little I've seen, he didn't seem to have that elegance and poise on the ball like Cruyff and Zidane were blessed with. He also didn't seem to have that dribbling ability Messi and Maradona had. And I doubt he orchestrated games like Zidane and Cruyff did. Pele seems to be a name people regard highly in football, but most people are basing this opinion on what others claim because, like I said, not many people have actually seen too much of him.

When did you see him play and do you rate him higher than Stanley Matthews and Cliff Basten?

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Really!?

And there's me thinking he never played for a European football club during an era where there was minimal football tv coverage in South America. Surely the majority of the footballing world have never seen him play?

What makes you think he's the greatest player ever apart from football stats? From the very little I've seen, he didn't seem to have that elegance and poise on the ball like Cruyff and Zidane were blessed with. He also didn't seem to have that dribbling ability Messi and Maradona had. And I doubt he orchestrated games like Zidane and Cruyff did. Pele seems to be a name people regard highly in football, but most people are basing this opinion on what others claim because, like I said, not many people have actually seen too much of him.

When did you see him play and do you rate him higher than Stanley Matthews and Cliff Basten?

Very hard to disagree, can I mention Best.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
He's that kid at school who never passes to anyone, takes every free kick and tries to score every goal with a 30 yard dribble. Monumentally frustrating to coach or play with I would think but it's brilliant if it comes off. It simply cannot work most of the time though.

Today he was trying it and getting the shit kicked out of him. It was like when Kaz was playing for us and the opposition happily took it in turns to kick him knowing they'd just share the bookings around.
He is a very good player but Ronaldo has upped the anti and nearly every top striker from Neymer, Messi, Aguero, Griezman and Suarez will be trying to emulate him to get the Golden Boot. That is taking nearly all freekicks and pens and being selfish in front of goal.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
The stadium sniper got him several times, I'm surprised he wasn't hospitalised. The mock pain and grabbing of random body parts is truly embarrassing to watch, he's a tool.

NB** This obvs wasn't last night, just a typical pose of his when brushed by the slightest touch of an opponents boot.

hi-res-171559248_crop_exact.jpg

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8490092 said:
Another player confined to the shit heap by the NSC experts :clap2:

It's embarrassing to read sometimes. I try to reconcile some of the comments by telling myself they must be tongue in cheek.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
In all respect, no-one 'got the shit kicked out of them' today. He may have a few bruises but that was a tame match. Players of yesteryear and fans alike would not have believed the excessive protection given these days. There were a few nibbles at him but half the time he throws himself to the floor when nothing has actually happened, with the clear expectation that he will get away with winning a foul as he clearly lacks the confidence to stay on his feet and play fairly.

He stayed on his feet perfectly well on one occasion and the ref pulled it back for a free kick when he was going clear in the box. No wonder they go down easily these days. The Swiss were fouling him with such efficiency it could have been organised by cuckoo clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
He stayed on his feet perfectly well on one occasion and the ref pulled it back for a free kick when he was going clear in the box. No wonder they go down easily these days. The Swiss were fouling him with such efficiency it could have been organised by cuckoo clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, that was a strange decision by the ref. Had i been a Brazilian, I'd have been furious.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Brazil would actually be a better team without Neymar, and if they let Coutinho take more of a dominant role

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
He can't even score penalties! Maradona will be remembered long long after he's dead e.g. Bronze statues. Messi might get a commemorative stamp by comparison.

Messi in my opinion is the best footballer to have ever lived. The only thing letting him down is 'failure' at international level (despite reaching a world cup final), but no one player makes a team.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
I think it has already been mentioned, but he didn't look fit to me. He is a very good player but not on the same level as the Messi's and Ronaldo's of this world. Looked like he was trying to do it by himself yesterday when actually if the team generally were more patient (and he let Coutinho take the freekicks), they would have stood a much better chance of sneaking a victory.

Still my favourites to win the tournament along with Spain.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The Brazilian version of Beckham.
Massive hype, turns up once in a while, seems self-obsessed, the legend is greater than the actual substance.

thats nothing like Beckham, who carried England a few times. Neymar couldn't carry his bag of hair products.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Messi in my opinion is the best footballer to have ever lived. The only thing letting him down is 'failure' at international level (despite reaching a world cup final), but no one player makes a team.

Well you’re entitled to your opinion however wrong it might be :)

Stumpy Tim

Messi in my opinion is the best footballer to have ever lived.

He's not even the best Argentinian player to have ever lived.

The only thing letting him down is 'failure' at international level (despite reaching a world cup final), but no one player makes a team.

Maradona did in 1986. He won the World Cup on his own. And the Italian league really

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here