Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Worlds most impressive Buildings

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Hmmm odd thread. Lots of relatively modern buildings but surely those that are impressive are those built centuries/ millennia ago without modern technology such as the pyramids?!

Arguably the pyramids were built thousands of years ago with technology way beyond what we have now, but that would be a whole new thread!

D

Deleted member 18477

Westfield Shopping Centre, NYC... Just bizarre.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
The most beautiful building, not only in looks but the reason it was built, not to mention that it changes colours throughout the day is The Taj Mahal.

Totally this. Visited it four times while living in India and accompanying guests. It was still jaw dropping every single time.

I still have a similar regard for Canterbury Cathedral now I come to think of it. It has the power to overcome the curmudgeonly atheist in me.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Arguably the pyramids were built thousands of years ago with technology way beyond what we have now, but that would be a whole new thread!

The pyramids were built thousands of years ago, no arguably about it. Also their technology was way inferior to what we have now.

There's always one.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
The most beautiful building, not only in looks but the reason it was built, not to mention that it changes colours throughout the day is The Taj Mahal.

Yes, of timeless, serene beauty rising from what I found to be the most horrible city with the pushiest people imaginable. Also an honourable mention for Hagia Sophia in Istanbul.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
800px-US_Bank_Stadium_-_West_Facade.jpg

Stunning.

Conservationists hate it though, as birds are constantly flying into the side of it. Every day they have to gather up dead or injured birds from all around it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
800px-US_Bank_Stadium_-_West_Facade.jpg

Stunning.

Conservationists hate it though, as birds are constantly flying into the side of it. Every day they have to gather up dead or injured birds from all around it.

Pretty thick design then.

I presume the architects are working on a solution of some kind.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Pretty thick design then.

I presume the architects are working on a solution of some kind.

From Wiki:

"Years before construction began on the stadium, local and national conservation groups - including the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources and the Audubon Society - requested a "bird-friendly" design of the stadium's exterior using slightly less transparent bird-safe glass.[17] Designers ignored the advice and instead used highly reflective glass for aesthetic reasons. The reflective glass, combined with the stadium lying along the Mississippi Flyway migration route, has resulted in a large number of bird deaths, double any other building in Minneapolis.[17] A "bird fatality study" being financed by the Vikings and the Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority is expected to be completed in 2019. If changes are made, it will now cost about $10 million to replace the existing glass with bird-safe glass rather than the $1 million it would have added to the original construction."

So yup. Pretty thick design, and arrogant, given that the issue was specifically raised before construction. There's no WAY that would've been granted in the UK if that was going to be an issue. The bat-fondlers would've been all over it.

But its still a genuinely jaw-dropping stadium to walk around.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here