Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Leon Balogun - Growing up with a German mother and a Nigerian father

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Interesting article re our new defender and how he got the call to be a Super Eagle.... Warning! No BHAFC references :)

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/e...tter&utm_campaign=worldcup18&utm_term=Balogun

I never supported the German national team, mostly because I thought they were arrogant and their football was boring to watch. Even in 2006, when Germany hosted and the whole country had World Cup mania — I secretly cheered for them to lose. Because I was a kid, and I was rebellious. And because, even though I felt in my mind that I was just as German as all the other kids, a lot of people didn’t see me like that.

I was always asked, “Where are you from?” Or, “How long have have you been here?”

I would think to myself sometimes, Maybe I was meant to be Nigerian.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
With comments like that it’s probably a good thing he’ll be plying his trade in England now. Never thought I’d hear a German say that Germans were arrogant, although we all know it *Lotharmatthaus*

Have to say that on what little I’ve seen of him so far he’s no flairmeister himself.

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
Wonderful read - thanks for the link.

It's great to have yet another thoughtful, intelligent and articulate footballer in the squad - it seems to be a hallmark of our recruitment policy in recent years. Perfect fit for the culture of the club.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Wonderful read - thanks for the link.

It's great to have yet another thoughtful, intelligent and articulate footballer in the squad - it seems to be a hallmark of our recruitment policy in recent years. Perfect fit for the culture of the club.

This. He played well last night even though the rest of his not not so - didn't see much attacking coming down their left hand side.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Thanks for that, great article. Like him already.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Interesting article - seems like an intelligent footballer (shock horror !)
He comes across as the right mix - confident in his ability but humble too
Looking forward to seeing him in the stripes

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Am I missing something here ? They are the immature thoughts of a child, he’s no Hemingway is he ?

I'm glad you said that. Having read it and read the other comments on this thread I thought that it must be linked to the wrong article, as I wouldn't describe that as 'great' and certainly not 'excellent' or 'powerful'. 'Unremarkable' is the term that springs to mind for me, Liam Rosenior he ain't.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here