Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Phil Mickelson at US Open

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I cannot recall ever seeing a professional golfer do that in a tournament let alone the US Open, despite being way back and not a hope in hell of winning, it’s just not the thing to do Phil.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Protest at how stupid the course is. It’s unplayable not one golfer under par.

Good shots are being punished absurdly so

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I’m not a golfer. Why is the course stupid and unplayable?
Grass too short on the greens and pin positions not on a level. Very rare to see top pros three putt, this was rare to see 1/2 putts. Made it a lottery and was penalising good shots

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Mickelson is a true sportsman and would never 'cheat'. I think, having watched it live, that having slept on it he will do the honorable thing on Sunday and fall on his sword. Expect a withdrawal from the competition Sunday morning.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Leftie has told us all to lighten up, so there you go.......

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’m not a golfer. Why is the course stupid and unplayable?

If you are putting up a hill to the pin which sits on a 5in plateau before a ridiculous drop again on greens that are lightening and then there are all manner of other things you can do with the semi rough, the apron and approaches, you create a tournament that neither players nor fans enjoy. If these golfers can’t get under par you’ve over done it and it’ll be a few years now before they see a major again.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What are the rules for hitting a moving ball?
And are there any rules for deliberately hitting a moving ball?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
2 shot penalty every time you do it or loss of hole in match play.
Presumably that's for when you're about to hit the ball, and it moves, and it's not intended to cover doing it deliberately to stop your ball running off the green?

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Mickelson is a true sportsman and would never 'cheat'. I think, having watched it live, that having slept on it he will do the honorable thing on Sunday and fall on his sword. Expect a withdrawal from the competition Sunday morning.

I agree this would be the most sensible approach.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Presumably that's for when you're about to hit the ball, and it moves, and it's not intended to cover doing it deliberately to stop your ball running off the green?

Nope, different rule for that scenario. Moving the ball when you are about to hit it is different - that is a 1 stroke penalty and you have to put the ball back where it was (I think - this rule often changes). Oh and you have to have grounded your club - if you don't ground your club and the ball moves, then you wait for it to stop and play it from there under no penalty. Except in a bunker when you cannot ground your club anyway, but if you take your stance and the ball moves, then it is a penalty.

This article explains what PM did better than I can: https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/news...hil-mickelson-intentionally-hits-moving-ball/

Rule 1-2 is for influencing the ball in play (eg kicking it), rather than making a stroke at it whilst it is moving (rule 14-5)

For a simple game, golf has an awful lot of rules!

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I like the US Open give the course is nearly always so tough, makes the professionals have to think a bit more as opposed to monster drives that seem to be all the rage.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'm at a loss with this. It's a 2 shot penalty for hitting your ball like Phil did which has been applied and was known before he did it. Why all this talk about disqualification? If the rule is wrong change it. Likewise, the notion it's not in the 'spirit' of the game is bollox. There is a crowd load of morons shouting crap, Tiger has long since taken the piss out of the rules - his drops miles away from where he was supposed to for instance - so why is everyone getting bent out of shape about this one issue on a Micky mouse course that is not fit for a seaside pitch and putt?

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Oh and you have to have grounded your club - if you don't ground your club and the ball moves, then you wait for it to stop and play it from there under no penalty. Except in a bunker when you cannot ground your club anyway, but if you take your stance and the ball moves, then it is a penalty.
Right, so is the 2 shot penalty (as Phil got) specifically in the rules for deliberately hitting it when you know it's moving? That's a weirdly light penalty for deliberately cheating.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here