Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] WC: Croatia v Nigeria

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That was cast iron pen..brunoesque!

Yep, Bruno pulls that move every game, and every single time gets away with it.

Simple difference is that Bruno's bear hugs never involve his arm over the shoulder and/or around the neck.

Schoolboy error from Ekong there. Stonewall penalty :(

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
4 extra minutes of fun!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Pele said in 1990 "they'll be an African winner of the world cup before 2000".

Wrong century, but it won't be Nigeria in 2018.

It was a nice sound bite but it’s hard to see beyond a few teams for the foreseeable future and none of them are African.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
US open beckons

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yep, Bruno pulls that move every game, and every single time gets away with it.

Simple difference is that Bruno's bear hugs never involve his arm over the shoulder and/or around the neck.

Schoolboy error from Ekong there. Stonewall penalty :(

Defenders bear hugging and shirt tugging is the norm in the PL and Championship. Officials extremely rarely punish it.

Possibly worried that replays will show the attacker simultaneously shirt-tugging on his blindside?

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Naive at best. Being able to kick a ball doesn't seem to equate to knowing about football.

Not entirely - Ghana should have got to the semi final when Suarez hand balled on the line - and Cameroon should have beaten England in 1990 to get to the semis also (we were very lucky) they both weren’t far off...

Denmark winning the Euros in 92 and Greece 2004 proves that anything can happen in major competitions

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I thought Peru v Denmark would be the best match of the day. I'd done a bit of homework. Only watched spurts of the other three and they didn't look all that.

Lionel Messi saved the bookies a £20 million pay-out today with that missed penalty. France - tick, Denmark - tick, Croatia - tick, Argentina - oh. From a convicted tax dodger.......hmmmmmmmmm. ???

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not entirely - Ghana should have got to the semi final when Suarez hand balled on the line - and Cameroon should have beaten England in 1990 to get to the semis also (we were very lucky) they both weren’t far off...

Denmark winning the Euros in 92 and Greece 2004 proves that anything can happen in major competitions

Why were England lucky against Cameroon?

Penalties, after they hacked our attacking players down, are valid goals.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think it is generally accepted that Cameroon were the better team on the night...

As were England v Germany 1996, and countless other football games. Varying writers/viewers subjective takes on a match, are secondary to the facts. Cameroon conceded three legitimate goals in a tight game of two quality teams, so deserved to lose.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
As were England v Germany 1996, and countless other football games. Varying writers/viewers subjective takes on a match, are secondary to the facts. Cameroon conceded three legitimate goals in a tight game of two quality teams, so deserved to lose.

I agree - my point is that Cameroon weren’t that far away from a semi final - nor were Ghana - so an African winner wasn’t hugely far fetched

theboybilly

With the way Croatia were set up Bologan was largely left without anybody to mark and just seemed to pick up runners as and when necessary. I thought he had a decent match but could have done better with the cross for the first goal - he just seemed to miss the flight of the ball completely and it dropped behind him. That said he co-defenders weren't up to much. Nigeria were poo and Moses was the most poo of all, constantly asking for free-kicks that just weren't there.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not entirely - Ghana should have got to the semi final when Suarez hand balled on the line
Firstly, nearly getting to the semis isn't the same as winning. Secondly, that was after 2000.
and Cameroon should have beaten England in 1990 to get to the semis also (we were very lucky)
Nah. They weren't better than us. And even if they got to the semis, they'd have lost the next game.

And finally, he didn't say they'd be in with a chance, he said there would be a winner before 2000. Miles off. They've not even got to a semi-final yet.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here