Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Bad day to be an Aussie....

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
All I have heard this week is AFL, WC and a woman murdered in Melbourne. Not one mention of cricket.

I could list 500 facebook friends pages, 0 mentions of cricket.

Geelong FC compared to Geelong CC is worlds apart in locals interest and bums on seats and spectators.

you really are that bloke in your picture aren't you?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Given that he lives in Victoria I suggest that might be the case.

Unless you live there, of course.

Not a lot in the Melbourne Age

https://www.theage.com.au/sport

That's the main one I think (I lived in NSW) [MENTION=4800]Tyrone Biggums[/MENTION]

Age is the secondary paper, Herald Sun is Melbourne's and Australia's biggest selling newspaper.

It'll give cricket a heap of coverage in summer, in winter it's dialed right back. Comparatively speaking AFL gets more summer coverage than Cricket gets in winter by a fair margin.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
And South Australia, Western Australia, Tasmania and the Northern Territory.

Australian Rules is huge in those States and Territories.

And the population of those states (combined) only makes up a "4th" big state, and at the low end of the scale even then:

NSW - 7.9 mill (and let's include ACT here, so actually over 8.2 mill)
Vic - 6.3 mill
QLD - 4.9 mill
Other - 5.1 million

Total population where Rugby is "dominant": 13.2 million
Total population where AFL is "dominant": 11.4 million

Not trying to deny here that AFL is a massive sport in Australia: it clearly is. But trying to minimise the appeal of the Rugby codes outside the AFL heartland is ridiculous.

Despite having the Swans in Sydney for a long time, it wasn't until 2005 that AFL managed to gain enough traction amongst the Rugby hungry fans in Sydney that a second team for the city was deemed viable. Even then, it wasn't until 2012 that the GWS Giants actually played in the AFL.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Age is the secondary paper, Herald Sun is Melbourne's and Australia's biggest selling newspaper.

It'll give cricket a heap of coverage in summer, in winter it's dialed right back. Comparatively speaking AFL gets more summer coverage than Cricket gets in winter by a fair margin.

And if you look at the Sports section of the Sydney Morning Herald, AFL is relegated to a distant 5th place on the page - behind NRL, World Cup, Rugby Union, and Cricket. Same for the Brisbane Times version of the online paper.

The Sydney one has some NRL articles in the top-most featured articles section. Brisbane version has State of Origin (rugby league) plastered in that area.

And even today, looking at the Melbourne Herald Sun sports section - the top area dedicated to Featured sports articles has very little AFL present. There's more articles for Basketball, Cricket, Tennis, and Surfing. Grant you though that the first section devoted to a specific sport is for the AFL.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here