Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Mark Lawreson

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Weststander View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was always the way.

They're loved now and spoke about in nostalgic terms, but in the 70's and 80's half the football loving public couldn't stand the work of Brian Moore, Barry Davies and John Motson.
    Not sure I can remember anyone disliking Barry Davies. John Motson thought the sun shone out of the backside of Liverpool who were winning everything at the time and Brian Moore was the poor ITV relation.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Shooting Star View Post
      I'm still very fond of Lawro. I do admit that I think he's still watching football through the lenses of 10+ years ago, but in some ways that's refreshing, especially when he's calling the French players out for their ridiculous lack of ability to stay on their feet when any contact was made by the Aussies. Some choice quotes from the game were particularly humorous:

"Can you give minus ratings?"
      "What was that yelp all about? Dislocated shoelace?"
      "He's chasing everything. He'd chase a paper bag in the park in the wind."

As far as pundits go, I'd say Jermaine Jenas is up there as the best atm.
      Got to agree, I do like Lawro and his dry wit, makes a refreshing change from some of the syncophants you find on telly these days, long may he continue to annoy, befuddle, inform and amuse us footy fans.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I like him, weak jokes and all. As others have said he seems to cut through the party line narrative and say it like he sees it. Also manages to do this without being Robbie Savage about it, i.e. making sure the way he sees it will wind up as many people as possible.
      Too many Florence Nightingales. Not enough Robin Hoods.
      Test your smoke alarm Bry Nylon's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      I don't mind him. In fact I quite like his curmudgeonly approach to broadcasting and the fact you get the impression he'd rather be cleaning out the cupboard under the kitchen sink.

I just don't like the way he pronounces "moment" as "merment."

Members

1 Not allowed!
      I like him. Give me Lawro over some of the other BBC pundits like Martin Keown, Danny Murphy or Danny Mills any day of the week.

Ally McCoist was a breath of fresh air today on ITV, need to hear more of him. He’s also excellent as a radio presenter on talkSport.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by jackalbion View Post
      It’s why I like lawro’s commentary it’s cynical and kind of says it how it is. In the France game he moaned about the French diving a lot because it takes away from the football and the tactics. The whole Ronaldo hype just doesn’t really excite me, a last minute winner in a goal mouth scramble is what does it for me. I appreciate he’s a good player and is world class, but him behaving like a child when it doesn’t go his way just puts me off when compared to Messi, Salah and Greizmann. The wink also, the bloody wink.
      Appreciate where your coming from ........ but god was that free kick something special.

1 Not allowed!
      Agree with others, I thought his dry humour was a perfect fit for that match today.
      Maybe you'd describe me as blinded by hope and deluded in the fantasies weaved by our eight-legged and sinister leader, but so what. I would rather be lost in the half-cocked dreams of those with the power to persuade than be endlessly pressed by the blathering insomniacs who haven't dreamt for a decade or more and feel the need to talk until all those around them drop, and share their misery.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
      Appreciate where your coming from ........ but god was that free kick something special.
      Yeah he’s really good I appreciate that, but that makes him even more annoying

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by jackalbion View Post
      It was more irritation towards Danny Murphy’s biased commentary in favour of Ronny.
      I did enjoy Murphy's bit of commentary the other night as Ronaldo was lining up that free kick.

"He's not going to be able to get that up and over the wall, so he's going to have to work out some way of.....

....oh"

"But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"

1 Not allowed!
      Can't stand cliché Clive, have to turn it off and listen on 5live. I hate him. Never fails to churn em out or take the blinkers off. Tosser.