Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Dubrovnik or Budapest?

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I am going to take the Doris away for a few days... can the good people of NSC help make my mind up of which place to go please....

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I've heard Dubrovnik is absolutely swamped with tourists these days. For that reason, I'd go for Budapest. It depends what you're looking for though...

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I've heard Dubrovnik is absolutely swamped with tourists these days. For that reason, I'd go for Budapest. It depends what you're looking for though...

We have done a few city breaks.. I loved krakow for the food and drink and history of the place.. so somewhere like that would be ideal..

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Bear in mind that everything in Dubrovnik will cost you 10x what it would cost in Budapest.

Personally I love Budapest, so much to see and do and the weather in summer is exceptional. Really affordable city as well.

S.T.U cgull

Jan 17, 2009
HILLLLLLL
Bear in mind that everything in Dubrovnik will cost you 10x what it would cost in Budapest.

Personally I love Budapest, so much to see and do and the weather in summer is exceptional. Really affordable city as well.

Slight exaggeration.

Dubrovnik the nicer of the two, though probably best to visit outside of peak season

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Slight exaggeration.

Dubrovnik the nicer of the two, though probably best to visit outside of peak season

Dubrovnik due to its size and popularity is very expensive (that was my experience anyway!). I’ve been to Budapest 4 times and bloody love the place so I’m probably fairly biased.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Dubrovnik is really nice, but the old city and city walls are overwhelmed by tourists, especially when the cruise ships arrive.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
From Budapest you can catch a train to Bratislava and Vienna if you are having a longer trip. Bratislava is small and not much more to see than what you can in one day and night so tie it in with Budapest and/or Vienna.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Both fantastic places to go,but Dubrovnik for me. Also handy for The Bay of Kotor in Montenegro which is worth a trip,Mostar in Bosnia doesn't take long to get too either .

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
There are very few locals who live within the walls of Dubrovnik. Budapest has so much to do and you don’t feel just like another tourist.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I went to Budapest last year and it was great..... love wandering around and there is loads to see. The shoes on the river bank are very moving.

akipling

Jan 12, 2010
Morecambe
I’m interested in this as I’m off to Dubrovnik in a couple of weeks, also taking in Split, Kotor and Budva. It’s whilst the last 16 is on so all travelling/touristy things must be done before 4pm local time! Any suggestions welcome....

Did something similar whilst the Euro’s were on a couple of years ago. Budapest > Oradea > Cluj a really good trip thru Transylvania would defo recommend to anyone, cheap as chips too and I’m a northerner!

Another shout for Bratislava too, combined with Brno

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Neither - one is full of hen and stag does (bear in mind you'll be sharing your plane and airport with too!) whilst the other is absolutely heaving with GoT tourists. Seriously. We now live in the age of mass tourism because of cheap flights and it's a serious problem to the point lots of press articles about the problems both of these locations have now and it's only getting worse.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here