Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pre-Season game is Sporting Lisbon - Friday 3rd August, kick-off 7.45pm

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Bit of trivia: I learned recently that Sporting Lisbon is actually the full name of Benfica: Sporting Lisboa Benfica.

Sporting's real name is Sporting Clube de Portugal.

It's a decent enough friendly for us, a big club from a decent league which will give the team a good test before the league starts. That's the point of a friendly.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
After Sevilla, Lazio, Atletico Madrid I'm also underwhelmed by Portuguese "giants" Sporting on a Friday night. Given the 1901 policy of excluding friendlies when this was a clear promise at the outset, I'll be giving the opportunity to watch for an additional £25 (on top of over well over £3000) a wide berth.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Hardly giants. We're a bigger club now which is strange.

The club shouldn't have played this up, the headline is pathetic and the announcement very poorly timed with the turmoil at Sporting.

Sporting have been ever-present in the Portuguese top division since 1934, have won 18 league titles, 16 cups and the European cup-winners cup, have a 50,000 seat stadium, and their youth academy produced players like Cristiano Ronaldo and Luis Figo, as well as many other national team-players.We've one season in the premier league and suddenly we're the bigger club? Yes, very strange.

Why do people let a bit of success go to their heads so much?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Masterplan by the Albion, to play Sporting Lisbon who will no doubt be fielding a mixture of youth players and trialists given the mass exodus of players, as this will boost confidence for the Watford game as we win 15-0.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Bit of trivia: I learned recently that Sporting Lisbon is actually the full name of Benfica: Sporting Lisboa Benfica.

It's a decent enough friendly for us, a big club from a decent league which will give the team a good test before the league starts. That's the point of a friendly.

So are we playing Benfica or Sporting? Or Sporting Lisbon? Which is the looney club? I’m confused.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Club originally said the game was going to be on Sunday 6th, wonder why they shifted it?

I don't believe that is the case. I think they originally said it would be some time over that weekend, and by the next day the Argus were reporting it would be on the Friday evening.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Sporting have been ever-present in the Portuguese top division since 1934, have won 18 league titles, 16 cups and the European cup-winners cup, have a 50,000 seat stadium, and their youth academy produced players like Cristiano Ronaldo and Luis Figo, as well as many other national team-players.We've one season in the premier league and suddenly we're the bigger club? Yes, very strange.

Why do people let a bit of success go to their heads so much?

Precisely, money talks however. I believe Sporting don't have any.

el punal

Jeez! So complacency and arrogance has at last made an appearance, after just one season in the Premier League. The club have arranged a friendly with one of the top European sides, Sporting Lisbon, but in the opinion of some on here that’s just not good enough FFS!

For those of you that have that view, just remember where we’ve come from and what, and how, we have achieved the position we’re in now. A bit of humility wouldn’t go amiss eh?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

It's journalistic laziness which drives me up the wall.

They never have been Sporting Lisbon. It's the same for 'Inter Milan'... :annoyed:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here