Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pre-Season game is Sporting Lisbon - Friday 3rd August, kick-off 7.45pm

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It amuses me that poeople and indeed our club still keep referring to them as Sporting Lisbon when no such club exists. Their correct name is Sporting Clube Du Portugal and are just based in Lisbon I would have expected BHA to get it advertised correctly.unless we are all wrong and we are actually playing Sporta Lisboa Benfica.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
You think they'd actually check their calender before committing to a friendly!

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
It amuses me that poeople and indeed our club still keep referring to them as Sporting Lisbon when no such club exists. Their correct name is Sporting Clube Du Portugal and are just based in Lisbon I would have expected BHA to get it advertised correctly.unless we are all wrong and we are actually playing Sporta Lisboa Benfica.

They have also been known as Sporting Lisbon throughout the media and world for many years so your post is a little pedantic.

Do you disagree when everyone calls us Brighton, instead of our full correct name.

Wiggy Power

Feb 25, 2009
You just Googled that didn't you? Who cares, just enjoy the game.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Does it "amuse" you when one refers to, say, Spain instead of España?

Most British media (inc BBC, Guardian, Indie) calls the club Sporting Lisbon, for clarity.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Does it "amuse" you when one refers to, say, Spain instead of España?

Most British media (inc BBC, Guardian, Indie) calls the club Sporting Lisbon, for clarity.

or holland instead of the nether regions

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
You think they'd actually check their calender before committing to a friendly!

I think, they think they've had a better offer. Let them play their other game as long as they compensate us and more (which they won't)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

West Germany never ever actually existed. It had the same name when the wall was up as it does now. Did this amuse you as well?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
West Germany never ever actually existed. It had the same name when the wall was up as it does now. Did this amuse you as well?

I would think that you are wrong on that as I remember in days gone by 1966 world cup, there was 2 german sides East and West Germany, but wouldnt argue.

ps. In the 1974 World Cup East Germany beat West Germany 1-0 one of the very few times they played each other.

Last edited:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I would think that you are wrong on that as I remember in days gone by 1966 world cup, there was 2 german sides East and West Germany, but wouldnt argue.

ps. In the 1974 World Cup East Germany beat West Germany 1-0 one of the very few times they played each other.

I think what he is getting at is that they didn't officially call themselves that. But everyone else called them it (as you have demonstrated). A bit like Sporting Lisbon.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

East Germany didn't play in the 66 World cup.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

East and West Germany were colloquial names, not the official names, like Sporting Lisbon.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here